It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2012, 08:27 AM   #1
(female)

roisindubh HB User
Question Newly diagnosed with high-risk HPV -- Diet/Lifestyle changes?

Hello all:

I'm 25. I had a pap in January that came back with minimal abnormalities and positive for high-risk HPV. I had a follow-up colposcopy last week that I am waiting for results from. The doctor who performed the colposcopy said he suspects that I'll likely be told to have another pap in 6-8 months (is that normal? I've read 3-4 online) to monitor the situation, but that because I'm young, don't smoke, rarely drink, am not on birth control, etc., the virus will go away on its own. (Although from what I gather from my many Google searches, this is just a phrase--the virus will always be there, just dormant?)

The most frustrating thing for me at this point is the feeling of helplessness and loss of control; apart from abstaining, I've done what one's supposed to for their sexual health: haven't had a slew of sexual partners, used protection, got tested, had yearly paps--all normal until this year. Still contracted HPV. And now there's nothing I can do directly to be 100% sure I'll get rid of this.

Needing to do SOMETHING, I've been looking up ways to give my immune system the boost it needs to kick this. So far, I've started taking the following supplements:

Simply One Women, Iron Free
Jarrow Formulas Antioxidant Optimizer
New Chapter Probiotic Immunity
a Super B Complex

I've been working on getting into shape for a while now, but being in a new graduate program had slacked on the diet and exercise. Now I've gotten strict with myself again--lots of fruits and vegetables, almond milk instead of regular, little to no white starches, no red meat. And I'm drinking two cups of green tea a day. Organic as much as possible--although with a student's funding, this is somewhat difficult.

I am going to see a nutritionist at my university in a week to see if there's anything else I could be doing, but I was wondering if there's anything that you all have found helpful in dealing with this? Not just physically, either, but emotionally--because I'm just a wreck some days, and lacking in the 'shoulder-to-lean-on' department. The only way I'm coping right now is by turning the situation into a challenge--a 'how fast can I beat this?' sort of thing...

Thanks, and best.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2012, 10:44 PM   #2
(female)

Jen488 HB User
Re: Newly diagnosed with high-risk HPV -- Diet/Lifestyle changes?

Hi there!

Please take a deep breath and try not to panic (as hard as that may be).
The changes you're making to your diet and lifestyle (eating more fruits and veggies and exercising more) are excellent and the best way to boost your immune system.

I also take a good quality probiotic (because 60-70% of your immune system is in your gut), and a supplement specifically for HPV and boosting the immune system called Papillex (it's really working for me).

Reducing stress is so important to your mental and physical health (especially as a grad student!). I like to do breathing exercises in bed before falling asleep and whenever I feel really stressed, and hot yoga, which really relaxes me. Also, don't forget to laugh! Watch a funny movie, go out for coffee/tea with your friends more often!

If you're finding all the stress and responsibilities in your life right now too overwhelming and are really struggling to cope, you should maybe also consider seeking some professional help, like a psychologist or a school counselor. There's been a period in my own life when I was a student and was having a lot of trouble coping with everything that was going on in my life, and speaking to a therapist was the best decision I could have made (it really helps).

I hope this helps you a little, best of luck!

Old 02-13-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
(female)

roisindubh HB User

Thanks for your response.

Papillex sounds interesting--similar to the antioxidant booster that I'm taking, but maybe with some benefits more directly associated with the HPV. I'll consider a switch once I make my way through the first bottle of the AB.

The stress thing has definitely been hard. Honestly, a lot of my grief with this in the past week has had more to do with the doctor's office to which I went for my colposcopy than to do with the virus. I had to go to a different office because my regular one didn't have the proper equipment, and dealing with them is a nightmare! The reception staff is negative, difficult, rude. It's really made this so much worse! I can't wait until I'm done with them and can return to my usual doctor.

But you're right: Coping methods are important. Today I actually had a ten-minute "dance break." I just stuck something on and made myself dance. I felt a lot better after. And I'll look into counseling services through my university to see what they have to offer.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
(female)

Jen488 HB User

I know what you mean, doctor's offices can be so unpleasant! I can't stand the reception staff at my doctor's office too, they are so unbelievably rude and have no compassion!

Definitely give papillex a try when you're finished your other supplements, as I said, it really helped me

I'm happy to hear you made yourself take a "dance break", so important to let off some steam, and so much fun too!

Again, best of luck

Closed Thread