It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
(male)

anon2012 HB User
Question How long can you carry hpv

I began having sex regularly at a very early age 14 with some fairly promiscuous woman. I met wife at 17 and we began having oral and then intercourse within a year of that. About 15 years later her obgyn finds an internal Vag Wart and says its hpv. She has had Paps everyyear since then and all were normal. We are now married 20+ years and this still comes back to haunt us or me mentally anyway as she still insist that I had an affair during our marriage because hpv only last 2 years. I have read that the virus can lay dormant for years so I think either passed it on to her when we first started having sex and the wart appeared or was found much later. One other possibility I thought of was when I was working maintenance in an international airport and often was working on the sewer ejector pumps (the pumps that take everything from all the toilets and pump it out to treatment stations. In those days cotton gloves were the extent of your personal protection equipment and many times you were balancing on pipes etc with 3 ft of raw sewage below you. Any light that can be shed on this would be helpful.. also since she wants proof if you do post some info I would really appreciate a link to the source if possible thanks again

Last edited by anon2012; 06-10-2012 at 09:28 PM.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
(female)

roisindubh HB User
Re: How long can you carry hpv

Hi there--

Sorry to read about your situation. You'll find several similar posts on here from married persons who have suddenly found out they have the virus, or who have suddenly found out their wives have the virus. This does NOT mean that anyone has been unfaithful.

The issue with HPV is that not enough is known about it for anyone to truly pinpoint when or from where the virus originated in ones body. However, your wife should understand that in MOST instances, the body overcomes *active* HPV within a couple of years, returning the virus to a dormant state. That means the virus can remain dormant for years and years, become active, and THEN the body has to fight it off.

Some believe that once the body fights the HPV, it is gone for good. Some believe it simply returns to a dormant state (I do). If you believe that the virus is simply dormant again, then that means it is in your body for life and can become active again when the immune system is compromised. (A lot of women don't know they have HPV until they become pregnant, when their body is going through so much that it becomes active.)

The best thing to do would be to sit down, both of you, with a doctor and talk about it. They will probably tell you the same thing--that it is very possible this was dormant in your system for years and years. Have you ever noticed any warts on your own area? I don't know a lot about low-risk strains of HPV, so I'm not sure if warts have to be present for the virus to be considered "active" or not. (I have a high-risk strain--no warts, but a risk of cancer.)

Oh! I forgot--there was also someone on here who believed she contracted HPV when she gave birth because one of the nurses scratched her during the process. HPV is contracted via skin-to-skin contact, which means it is not *always* sexually transmitted--warts on hands are caused by HPV, too, just another strain. Sexual transmission is just the most common cause. Something else to think on.

Last edited by moderator2; 06-11-2012 at 03:02 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2012, 09:03 AM   #3
(female)

Switch96 HB UserSwitch96 HB UserSwitch96 HB UserSwitch96 HB User

Unfortunately with HPV, it can be difficult to tell exactly where it came from. But there are several things that need to be clarified as to where it didn't come from.

It did not come from contact with raw sewage. Transmission of HPV requires skin to skin contact.

It did not come from a medical professional who had warts on his/her hands. It is estimated that there about 100 forms of HPV, most of which have not evolved to effect the genital area. Types 6, 11, 16, and 18 are the most common types that effect the genital area (at least in the US), and are also the four strains that are targeted by the Guardasil vaccine. Types 6 and 11 cause genital warts, while 16 and 18 can cause exterior genital and cervical cancers.

Whether or not HPV can ever become active again after it has been immunologically suppressed is to be determined. However, based on what I have read, and the medical professionals with whom I have had many conversations, under most circumstances 90% of infected persons will overcome the virus on their own (Center for Disease Control), never to have symptoms expressed again, and never to be contagious with that particular strain again.

There is a debate as to whether or not a person can experience symptoms caused by the original infection due to a compromised immune system, but consider this scenario as to why there is confusion.

-Person A was diagnosed with genital warts in 2008 and was treated with Imiquimod or some other highly effective treatment that caused all symptoms to subside. After experiencing no symptoms for a year, he or she has more than likely fully suppressed the condition
-Person A, now free of symptoms in 2009, begins to engage in sexual activity again again.
-In the winter of 2010, Person A comes down with a major flu or pneumonia, and genital warts reappear

Does this mean that the original infection from 2009 has become live again? Not necessarily. If, back in 2008, Person A was diagnosed with genital warts, it could have been either type 6 or type 11, both of which are unique strains that operate independently of one-another. For the sake of argument, Person A was treated for type 6 back in 2008. When Person A got symptoms of genital warts in 2010 after engaging in sexual activity in 2009, he or she could have gotten type 11 from a new partner during a 2009 encounter. Thus, two completely independent infections that express the exact same symptoms have been experienced by Person A.

Also consider that an estimated 80% of sexually active persons have contracted AT LEAST one form of HPV in their lifetime (Center for Disease Control). It is entirely possible for Person A to have encountered type 6 and type 11 during his or her ventures. It is even possible that Person A contracted types 6 and 11 simultaneously, but only one strain was expressing symptoms at the time, and therefore was the only condition that was targeted for treatment, allowing the other strain to lie dormant until 2010. As scary as it sounds, it is more likely that Person A experienced two completely independent sexually transmitted infections.

Until tissue biopsies become a normal part of treatment for GW, we may never know for sure. The Digene HPV DNA test is slowly being integrated as a regular treatment for cervical HPV, but that is due to the cancer threat. GWs have not been found to cause cancer, and therefore have not been subjected to the same medical scrutiny.

In anon2012's situation where HPV shows up fifteen years into a marriage, yes it is true that the virus could have been dormant or asymptomatic in either or both partners. It is an unlucky 20%-25% of people (CDC, Merck & Co.) who even express any outward symptoms of HPV at all. One or both persons in that relationship could have been infected but remained asymptomatic. Since that person was asymptomatic, he or she was never treated. How can you treat yourself for a condition you don't know you have? At this point, it would be best to focus on bolstering health and emotional well-being within the marriage and not stressing so much over where it came from. If he did not have an affair, then anon2012 will at least not be tortured by a guilty conscience, and hopefully husband and wife will be able to find solace in the midst of their shared struggle.

So in summary, HPV is an extremely slippery condition, having multiple strains that can express the exact same symptoms. It is also very common, but also very treatable if the afflicted takes a proactive approach to treatment.

It is against the Healthboards policy to post links, but the Center for Disease Control and Prevention is by far the best source of reliable information on HPV. I would also recommend reviewing the history and importance of Pap screenings to get a better idea of the evolution of HPV detection and treatment. Also have a look at the Gardasil and Cervarix websites. They have a lot of nice background information on prevalence and prevention. I hope this has been helpful. Please continue posting questions as they arise, and more people will try to help you through this process.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:13 AM   #4
(female)

Twisted Metal HB UserTwisted Metal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon2012 View Post
I began having sex regularly at a very early age 14 with some fairly promiscuous woman. I met wife at 17 and we began having oral and then intercourse within a year of that. About 15 years later her obgyn finds an internal Vag Wart and says its hpv. She has had Paps everyyear since then and all were normal. We are now married 20+ years and this still comes back to haunt us or me mentally anyway as she still insist that I had an affair during our marriage because hpv only last 2 years. I have read that the virus can lay dormant for years so I think either passed it on to her when we first started having sex and the wart appeared or was found much later. One other possibility I thought of was when I was working maintenance in an international airport and often was working on the sewer ejector pumps (the pumps that take everything from all the toilets and pump it out to treatment stations. In those days cotton gloves were the extent of your personal protection equipment and many times you were balancing on pipes etc with 3 ft of raw sewage below you. Any light that can be shed on this would be helpful.. also since she wants proof if you do post some info I would really appreciate a link to the source if possible thanks again

i don't fully understand HPV either but i can tell you my experience. i was diagnosed with it when i was 15 after a papsmear and then when i was 18 i had a bad outbreak of warts real bad all over my vagina and anus, i gave these warts to at least 3 different men. they slowly went away and i never had them again. then when i was 20 i was told i had HPV again but i never had any warts. i dont know if it was the same HPV or if i got it again? as far as i know i have not given anyone warts at all. Hope i helped...

Closed Thread