It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
(male)

Hypochonder HB User
Complications after anal wart removal? Scar tissue in particular.

Hello! New poster and I hope others can relate to my situation. I also hope that anyone else who might be searching the internet under similar stress can find the answers they are looking for.

Long story short - I was diagnosed with HPV a few months ago and had them removed via surgery and laser treatment. I have to vent for a second and say OUCH!!! My gosh I wouldn't wish that pain on my worst enemies! lol.

Well, it has been over three months now. I saw my doctor about a month and a half after the surgery and he said everything is healing up just fine. He sees no more warts and the abnormaties that I feel up my rectum is merely scar tissue. He refilled my ointment medicine and just reminded me to put in on everyday.

Well, about that scar tissue......It's ugh, still rather sensitive. And I mean VERY sensitive. Even after three months from the surgery it is still sensitive to touch. I tried having sex recently and that was just wasn't going to happen!

I was just wondering if anyone else has gone through this and what their experience was like? I just can't find anything on the internet about this senstive scar tissue and I would like to hopefully find answers without having to go to the doctor again.

Will this scar tissue ever go away? If I bear down you can litteral SEE it up there. I was drunk and furious one night and tried to rip it off and it bled so much. I would like to think that I will be able to have sex again, but at this point it is looking very iffy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
(male)

NotSoLucky01 HB User
Re: Complications after anal wart removal? Scar tissue in particular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypochonder View Post
Hello! New poster and I hope others can relate to my situation. I also hope that anyone else who might be searching the internet under similar stress can find the answers they are looking for.

Long story short - I was diagnosed with HPV a few months ago and had them removed via surgery and laser treatment. I have to vent for a second and say OUCH!!! My gosh I wouldn't wish that pain on my worst enemies! lol.

Well, it has been over three months now. I saw my doctor about a month and a half after the surgery and he said everything is healing up just fine. He sees no more warts and the abnormaties that I feel up my rectum is merely scar tissue. He refilled my ointment medicine and just reminded me to put in on everyday.

Well, about that scar tissue......It's ugh, still rather sensitive. And I mean VERY sensitive. Even after three months from the surgery it is still sensitive to touch. I tried having sex recently and that was just wasn't going to happen!

I was just wondering if anyone else has gone through this and what their experience was like? I just can't find anything on the internet about this senstive scar tissue and I would like to hopefully find answers without having to go to the doctor again.

Will this scar tissue ever go away? If I bear down you can litteral SEE it up there. I was drunk and furious one night and tried to rip it off and it bled so much. I would like to think that I will be able to have sex again, but at this point it is looking very iffy.
Hey Hyperchonder,

I am in the same situation as you. I was diagnosed in November, got electrocautery treatment December, my warts then reoccured and I had another electrocautery treatment in January. I have had a couple minor reoccurrences up until February, which were treated with other approaches and have been wart free since.

The point is, it has been 6 months since my last treatment and I do have scar tissue, as well. I tried having anal intercourse, but the pain was unbearable. It just caused multiple fissures throughout the tissue. It was like it had ripped open the tissue that had healed from the areas that were burnt for treatment. I am in the same boat as you, I want to know if I will ever be able to engage in anal intercourse ever again. I want to be able to do that for my partner when I really love him (If I can ever find love now).

I was looking to see if there was treatment for scar tissue anywhere, but I'm hopeless. I'm going back for a check-up in a month, so hopefully he'll have some answers. What ointment are you prescribed to put on it?

PLEASE let me know if you find out anymore information and please know you're not alone in on this.

And thank you for posting, I feel like its rare to find someone in my situation, thinking I'm alone dealing with this. Please write back because it would be nice to be able to talk to someone who understands what I'm going through.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:24 AM   #3
(male)

Bercy HB User

My scar tissue has almost disappeared 2 months post surgery. Every individual is different, but I honestly feel that it should diminish or reduce over time. Best bet is to talk with your doctor or surgeon.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
(male)

Edmguy HB User
Unhappy Re: Complications after anal wart removal? Scar tissue in particular.

Hello, I completely know what you are going through. 3 years ago I had my 1st surgery to remove internal anal warts. I have had to have surgery 6 times in total to get the things out! So even now if I have anal sex I just tear and get them small cuts that hurt like hell and bleed. It's so frustrating because I want to have sex but I tear so easy. Doctors just say its scare tissue and blah blah blah. I'm at my wits end! I am not sure if I can slowly stretch it or what. I guess this is part of my life now. :-( anyways just wanted to say your not alone buddy and if you find something that works please let me know.

Hugz

The Following User Says Thank You to Edmguy For This Useful Post:
NotSoLucky01 (11-14-2012)
Old 09-17-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
(female)

Switch96 HB UserSwitch96 HB UserSwitch96 HB UserSwitch96 HB User

Vitamin E oil might be helpful. I have used it successfully to heal stretch marks on my calves (too many sports!). Alongside just about everything I have read about stretch mark healing with Vitamin E, surgery and injury scars have also been included in the discussion. I guess it is supposed to soften and clarify the damaged tissue? Might be worth a try. You can buy bottles of pure Vitamin E oil in the vitamin section of your local supermarket. I have also heard of people buying and breaking Vitamin E capsules.

Good luck!

Old 11-01-2012, 06:39 PM   #6
(male)

Hypochonder HB User

I just wanted to give an update to everyone on my condition as it has been about six months post operation.

I have not healed all that great, especially considering the doctor mentioning that I was a less severe case of warts.

So, the good news first.

1) There is no sign of any warts reoccurring.

2) A few tests were done on the parts of my body that the doctor removed and it showed no signs of cancer or precancerous growths.

Now for the bad news.

1) There was a particularly nasty wart directly on my sphincter and directly on a part that is vulnerable to anal fissures. After believing myself to be completely healed (I even had extremely enjoyable sex a few weeks ago), the remaining scar tissue from this bad wart has opened up into a fissure. My doctor said he wants to see if it heals up on its own first but if it doesn't then I might need another surgery to repair it. My next appointment is at the end of the month.

After six months of this torture I sometimes think it might have been better to just leave the warts in there and let my body take care of them on its own. The warts made sex un-enjoyable but this operation has made sex far worse, and has dried up my bank account to boot.

To all those men reading this board I HIGHLY recommend getting the HPV vaccine Gardisil which is now covered for free under most insurance companies. Please don't put yourself through what I have had to endure.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:42 PM   #7
(male)

NotSoLucky01 HB User

Hey everyone,

Thank You all for replying, its nice to be able to talk to people in my boat.

I agree, hyperchonder. I wish I would've been more informed on the guardisil vaccine being available to men. How bad is the fissure? Are you having muscle spasms in your sphincter, and is it bearable?

Back in August, I did have anal intercourse twice, when out of town, visiting someone very close to me. It was very hard and painful at first, but was able to stretch it out and enjoy it a little more. I did had minor tears in the scar tissue that stung a bit. I had rinsed it under the bathtub faucet after intercourse, and dried it well before I went to bed, and it seemed to help control the pain and stinging quite a bit the next day. (I think the key is to constantly keep the area dry, to prevent moisture breakdown.) They eventually improved a couple days later.

My last follow up appointment was back in September, and there was no signs of reoccurrence. It's been about 9 months since my last reoccurrence. And about a year since my diagnosis. I still have a large amount of scar tissue on my anus, and it's just really bothersome and depressing to look at, not to mention pain every once in a while, due to sensitivity. The doc said that it will get better over time, and expressed that they "burnt the hell out of the tissue, so it will take time to heal," (I had a more severe case of warts, some actually precancerous) :-( He's just glad there's no re-occurance, as am I.

A couple days a week when I work, I also put gauze in my crack to control the moisture, which helps control the pain from moisture breakdown, maybe? It also helps with keeping my anal canal a little less tight, and open it up a bit. Anyway, it helps a lot, but when I don't put in gauze in for a while, the scar tissue seems to get tighter around the hole, and I am concerned that my anal sphincter will become stenosed. I will have to bring that up to my doctor on my follow up appointment.

I've been using a mirror and self rectal finger exams to check for reoccurrence and so far there hasn't been any signs or changes. I have another follow up next month, so I'll keep you guys posted. I'm thankful there hasn't been reoccurrence so far, I just hope there is a way for this scar tissue to go away now too. Maybe I'll give the Vit E oil a shot.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #8
(male)

Hypochonder HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoLucky01 View Post
Hey everyone,

Thank You all for replying, its nice to be able to talk to people in my boat.

I agree, hyperchonder. I wish I would've been more informed on the guardisil vaccine being available to men. How bad is the fissure? Are you having muscle spasms in your sphincter, and is it bearable?

Back in August, I did have anal intercourse twice, when out of town, visiting someone very close to me. It was very hard and painful at first, but was able to stretch it out and enjoy it a little more. I did had minor tears in the scar tissue that stung a bit. I had rinsed it under the bathtub faucet after intercourse, and dried it well before I went to bed, and it seemed to help control the pain and stinging quite a bit the next day. (I think the key is to constantly keep the area dry, to prevent moisture breakdown.) They eventually improved a couple days later.

My last follow up appointment was back in September, and there was no signs of reoccurrence. It's been about 9 months since my last reoccurrence. And about a year since my diagnosis. I still have a large amount of scar tissue on my anus, and it's just really bothersome and depressing to look at, not to mention pain every once in a while, due to sensitivity. The doc said that it will get better over time, and expressed that they "burnt the hell out of the tissue, so it will take time to heal," (I had a more severe case of warts, some actually precancerous) :-( He's just glad there's no re-occurance, as am I.

A couple days a week when I work, I also put gauze in my crack to control the moisture, which helps control the pain from moisture breakdown, maybe? It also helps with keeping my anal canal a little less tight, and open it up a bit. Anyway, it helps a lot, but when I don't put in gauze in for a while, the scar tissue seems to get tighter around the hole, and I am concerned that my anal sphincter will become stenosed. I will have to bring that up to my doctor on my follow up appointment.

I've been using a mirror and self rectal finger exams to check for reoccurrence and so far there hasn't been any signs or changes. I have another follow up next month, so I'll keep you guys posted. I'm thankful there hasn't been reoccurrence so far, I just hope there is a way for this scar tissue to go away now too. Maybe I'll give the Vit E oil a shot.
Heya Lucky.

I am actually not having spasms. I am having quite a bit of bleeding however and the fact that it won't heal is a problem. After not healing for months it appears to be getting better and I hope the doctor tells me good news in two weeks.

I know about the scar tissue. It definitely gross to look at. I honestly thought I grew a labia down there (yuck! lol). If you don't like the scar tissue you can always do what I did. I ripped every piece of it off. Get really drunk, sit in a hot bath and just tear away is what I did. The pain really wasn't bad at all and the bleeding for me was very minimal. Now, the only piece of bad scar tissue I have left is very deep inside my rectum (im still working on tearing that off. Doctor says not to but I don't care. I absolutely hate it being there).

Congratuations on not having any reoccurance. I hope both of our fortunes continue this way.

Oh, and the medicine that my doctor has been giving me is Corona lanolin ointment. It is not a prescription and I am so skeptical of it because everything on the internet says this stuff is primarily used on horse hoofs!!! I can't wait to hear what my new doctor says about my condition.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:49 AM   #9
(male)

LookingForAFix HB User

Hello,

My history - about 2+ years ago I began to become REALLY itchy around my sphincter. I thought it was anything for the moist wipes I'd use after going to the restroom, to even pinworms! I didn't have insurance at the time, so I just endured. Eventually, after I got insurance through my partner, I went to the doctor and was told I had warts. I actually was a bit shattered. I'd always been really safe, and always got tested, and my partner was as well. We'd already been in a monogamous relationship for years at this point (which continues to this day), so I'm still at a loss for how I contracted it. To this day he's never had any signs.

Long story short, I've had several procedures to have them removed as I had reoccurrence, especially in one spot. none were deeply internal, thankfully. I haven't had a reoccurrence in going on 6+ months.

Here's my 2 problems- I'm still itchy. A LOT. Especially at times of rest. I've been told to use ointments like aquaphor and was also given an anti-itch ointment. I use them, quite often, but neither last very long. I do think I have a bit of OCD regarding my cleanliness down there, so I do also perhaps wipe too hard or too much. I often have spots of blood, and the last time I saw the dermatologist, he told me I did have small minor tears, which is from the wiping. I think part of it is, the deeper -wiping- (which, at this time, I'm clean), feels like I'm really scratching that itch, and it feels like relief. It's frustrating though, as I've now been living with an itchy bum for going on 3 years or so.

My other problem is the ONE spot where the wart came back - really prevents me from trying to enjoy anal sex with my partner. To be honest, I've never been THAT good at it, but psychologically I like to try. I actually don't really experience much pain anymore, except for THAT spot, which feels like it's tearing, and becomes a very uncomfortable stinging sensation. Recently I tried using 2 different lubes that had natural chemicals in it that were supposed to help deaden some of the initial discomfort of anal sex, and it didn't really do much, which was again disappointing. It's usually a few weeks to a month in between attempting it, but it's just become a really distressing part of my LTR with my partner.

I've brought up the itching to my derm, but not the pain. I'm not sure what to do or try. Perhaps vitamin E. I assume it's just the skin/scar tissue has to get used to stretching again?

thanks for listening, and any guidance.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:41 AM   #10
(male)

RednessSorenes HB User

So, I have been reading the thread on HPV and anal warts here and wanted to post a reply on my experience and hoping to get some help.

It has been almost 3 years since I was first diagnosed with anal warts and almost 2 years (May '11) since my surgery and I am still having complications. I totally feel for you guys that are getting reoccurring anal fissures from sex and I have had that numerous times. It leads to painful sex, avoiding sex and intimacy and extreme pain having bowl movements.

I have discovered that is I stay on certain routines that I can prevent this and I am not sure if this will help any of you but wanted to share my experience.

First of all anytime I have a bowel movement I make sure I clean the area extremely well with moist toilet wipes, yes it is a nuisance to have to constantly have them handy, but better than the pain and soreness. I have also, cut back on my alcohol and caffeine intake (since these dehydrate you) and increased my water consumption. Also, after several complaints to my doctor about the issue, has prescribed me a "Clotrimazole and Betamethasone Diprpionate Cream ESP" in which I use after I have showered and dried off and then again before bed. I have had a lot less experience with anal fissures, pain in anal sex and the redness and soreness. (this cream is labels as "Each Gram Contains: mg clotrimazole USP and 0.64 mg betamethasone diproionate, USP (equivalent to 0.5 mg betamethasone) in a hydrophilic emollient cream.

I know that Clotrimazole is an anti fungal cream and Betamethasone is an anti-inflammatory cream and in the United States and Canada, betamethasone is mixed with clotrimazole and sold as Lotrisone and Lotriderm (can not say that these work since they are also needed with your doctor's prescription) but in my position the "Clotrimazole and Betamethasone Diprpionate Cream ESP" has been a savior for me..

I know this sounds like it a lot of work, but I have talked to my partner and he knows what I have been and am going through and is fully supportive. Even to the extent that if we are going out for a full day or even a weekend he will ask, in a loving fashion "have you packed your toothbrush, wipes and cream?" He knows it means a lot to me that I can be open with him about it and that I am apt to follow the routine.

I would love to, and am continuing to see doctors, to find a permanent fix (if there is one) but if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations to add I would be willing to hear your thought and try them.

Hope to hear feedback and that maybe this information helps some you you guys.

The Following User Says Thank You to RednessSorenes For This Useful Post:
PJ26 (01-17-2013)
Old 01-08-2013, 10:34 AM   #11
(male)

PJ26 HB User

Hi Notsolucky01,

I received treatment with cryo and an interferon topical treatment for HPV around the anus. I was left with no visible scarring in the area.... The treatment at the time was quite severe on the area and I developed quite a large wound. Over time that all healed and there has been no visible scarring. My last treatment was nearly 2 years ago but subsequent attempts to have anal sex seem to easily result in tears. I have used an ointment known here as rectogesic to help them heal faster. All attempts to overcome this and have anal intercourse without any subsequent damage has so far failed. My doc said the treatment/hpv could have thinned the skin. How have you got on since your post? I never had this problem before....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoLucky01 View Post
Hey Hyperchonder,

I am in the same situation as you. I was diagnosed in November, got electrocautery treatment December, my warts then reoccured and I had another electrocautery treatment in January. I have had a couple minor reoccurrences up until February, which were treated with other approaches and have been wart free since.

The point is, it has been 6 months since my last treatment and I do have scar tissue, as well. I tried having anal intercourse, but the pain was unbearable. It just caused multiple fissures throughout the tissue. It was like it had ripped open the tissue that had healed from the areas that were burnt for treatment. I am in the same boat as you, I want to know if I will ever be able to engage in anal intercourse ever again. I want to be able to do that for my partner when I really love him (If I can ever find love now).

I was looking to see if there was treatment for scar tissue anywhere, but I'm hopeless. I'm going back for a check-up in a month, so hopefully he'll have some answers. What ointment are you prescribed to put on it?

PLEASE let me know if you find out anymore information and please know you're not alone in on this.

And thank you for posting, I feel like its rare to find someone in my situation, thinking I'm alone dealing with this. Please write back because it would be nice to be able to talk to someone who understands what I'm going through.

Last edited by PJ26; 01-08-2013 at 10:35 AM.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #12
(male)

PJ26 HB User

Hi Hyperchoner,

I received treatment with cryo and an interferon topical treatment for HPV around the anus. I was left with no visible scarring in the area.... The treatment at the time was quite severe on the area and I developed quite a large wound. Over time that all healed and there has been no visible scarring. My last treatment was nearly 2 years ago but subsequent attempts to have anal sex seem to easily result in tears. I have used an ointment known here as rectogesic to help them heal faster. All attempts to overcome this and have anal intercourse without any subsequent damage has so far failed. My doc said the treatment/hpv could have thinned the skin. How have you got on since your post? I never had this problem before....

Old 01-17-2013, 07:22 AM   #13
(male)

PJ26 HB User

Hi,

Some years ago I received treatment for anal warts. I received cryo treatment and the aldara sachets for home application. The treatments were successful and I have had no other outbreaks. However, two years later nearly every time I try anal intercourse it results in a large fissure in the area where the treatment was concentrated. I've been told that the treatment can cause thinning/weakening of the skin. I am now afraid to have anal sex in fear of more injury. It's taking its toll on my life and affecting my relationship. Has anyone else had this problem, and how have you combated it (if at all). I've been applying vitamin oil for quite sometime and I use wet wipes after a bowel movement to decrease the likelihood that wiping would cause any further damage. I've also recently started using anal dilators to increase the skin's elasticity, hoping that it may prevent or lessen any tears from future sex.

I thought I was the only one in this situation until I found this thread. My doctor is not that understanding as he's not gay and his main form of sex with his partner isn't anal.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:44 AM   #14
(male)

dubinguy HB User

I also stupidly contracted anal warts about 2 years ago at the age of 21 and have been getting cryosurgery (with epidural/cordal anesthesia) every 1 to 2 months... an extremely unpleasant and depressing era i've had to live through... I have not yet tried aldara but I have 2 sachets on prescription. I live in korea and dont exactly understand what the doctor is saying to me but after my cryosurgery today I feel that I might give it a go after a couple of weeks to try something new in the fight against recurrence. has anyone had any success with aldara?? is it only for external because I have been constantly treated for both internal and external... any insights or advice would be great!

Old 02-14-2013, 09:16 AM   #15
(female)

Switch96 HB UserSwitch96 HB UserSwitch96 HB UserSwitch96 HB User

I used Aldara about three years ago for a single lesion, and have not had any recurrences since. I will definitely warn... it gets to be painful around the second or third week, and you may have to take a break during your treatment. From what I have read, Aldara is the most efficacious treatment for GW, and I can offer a successful anecdote from my end as well. Considering the duration for which you have undergone cryotherapy, it may be time to try something different.

Good luck

Closed Thread