It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

tattoogirly HB Usertattoogirly HB Usertattoogirly HB Usertattoogirly HB Usertattoogirly HB Usertattoogirly HB Usertattoogirly HB User
Genital Warts and Sex??

Hello all. I wrote a few weeks ago about my bf and how he recently got his first GW. Well, the ones the doctor burned off are gone and completely healed, but now he has two more small ones : (( He is really bummed and so am I. It has seemed like forever since we have been intimate and it is really getting to both of us. Since he is a man, he is awful at telling me how this makes him feel, so most times he is just grouchy and withdrawn. This crap really sucks!

I got an HPV test (yes, there is a swab test for women) and I will get my results middle of next week (hopefully). If I am positive for a strain of HPV that causes GW, is it safe for my bf and I to engage in sexual intercourse even when he has warts present? If I already have the virus does it really matter? I have never had visible warts, but from what I have read, only about 20% of people who have HPV will get warts. I have a pretty strong immune system, so if I have HPV, I would not be surprised that it has done a good job of suppressing the warts. If we have sex, will I get warts, even though I have never had them?

I NEED to be intimate with my bf, it is so, so hard to abstain and I don't know how we will deal with another month or so of him healing after getting these warts burned and what if more crop up? He is stressed right now, because the funding for his position at our school got cut and he is looking for a job. He also feels gross and undesirable since the warts cropped up. I told him they don't change anything and that I still want him, which is the truth. But, they DO change things, because HE feels like crap and that affects our relationship.

If I am negative for HPV, that is a WHOLE other story. I will have to make the incredibly hard decision about whether he is the one I want to be with for a long, long time and if the risk is worth it. I understand HPV is not like HIV or some other horrible disease, but it is not very well understood or well received.

I just needed to vent, but most of all I need to know if it is OK for my bf and I to have sex when he has warts (If I am positive for HPV). Thanks guys.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Discovering HB User
Re: Genital Warts and Sex??

Did you get your test results? Either tell your bf to relax. Street and illness impact the immune system and reduce his body's defense in fighting/suppressing the virus and warts.

If you're horny, slap on a condom and have sex!!!

Also, have you considered getting the vaccine?

Old 07-26-2012, 02:44 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Discovering HB User

What is the name of the hpv test you got?

Old 07-26-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

tattoogirly HB Usertattoogirly HB Usertattoogirly HB Usertattoogirly HB Usertattoogirly HB Usertattoogirly HB Usertattoogirly HB User

Ugh, so I just got the result of my HPV test and I am positive for HPV 16 and 51, which are high-risk strains. I do not understand how my bf has warts and I end up testing positive for the high risk. I called my gynecologist (I did the test through my GP) and I am awaiting a call back. I want to ask her if the types I have can cause warts, as well as cancer. I know if you have a strain that causes genital warts, these don't also cause cancer. But what about the other way around?? Can a high-risk strain cause warts???

I am freaking out, not just for my general health, but also because I now do not know if we share the virus or not. He can't get his warts biopsied yet because he does not have insurance and cannot afford to do this. If we could find out what strain he has, I will feel better, but not sure this is possible.

The test I got done is called HPV Type-Detect 2.0 by Bio-Plex Analysis. Not sure this is the name of the test, but this is the only logical name I could find on the paper.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:53 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Discovering HB User

Genital warts (low risk) are usually 6 and 11 which about for 90% of genital warts. However, 13, 40, 43, 42, 44, 54, 61, 72, 81, and 89 can also cause warts. I don't know if you bf has the high risk strain you have in addition to the strain(s) that is causing his warts. I am not 100% sure, but based on what I'm reading online, I don't think high risks cause warts. So your boyfriend could have given you the high risk strains that you have in addition to warts he has, or you could have gotten the high risk from a previous experience(s). Hopefully your dr can provide more info.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:56 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Discovering HB User

Also, does the test only test high risk strains or all hpv?

Closed Thread