It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #1
(female)

amberx0 HB User
Help?! abnormal pap smear HPV?

hey i got a pap smear like 6 months ago and it was "abnormal" and they told me to come back and i did near the end of july, theyre just calling me now to come in for the results im so scared he said if its abnormal again then i have to get a camera in there too see whats wrong or something, and apparently abnormal papsmears can have something to do with cancer im only 17. i also had an hiv scare which im still not 100% convinced i dont have it. and i heard that infection could cause people to get cervical cancer easy. please help, does anyone have any advicee? as bad as this sounds i kinds hope its chlaymidia or something.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
(female)

Blessings8 HB User
Re: Helpp?! abnormal pap smear HPV?

amberx0- please do not panic. It's good that a 17 year old is actually so concern that it's early on that you are taking care of yourself. It is normal to be so scared (as I am still even if I'm way older than you) That camera is what I have done just today...I know, today. The doctor just wants to make sure that it's nothing serious. ASK questions when they call you, Write down your concerns so you have some knowledge. Knowledge is power. and be HONEST with your doctore otherwise they can't help you....Let me tell you what happened to me.

We are planning for a baby and my new doctor said "let's check your health since you are planning to get pregnant" so I did the normal pap smear , blood test, blood pressure etc. etc. Called me 1 week later my doctor called me and told me that I have and ABNORMAL pap, that she also checked further and she found that I am HPV positive (abnormal cells that can cause for pre cancerous to cancerous cells) ASCUS, or ATYPICAL cells and she said, nothing urgent but it's better if we make an appointment for another PAP, only she said, she doesn't like doing just regular PAP because it's pointless and she needs to do a BIOPSY of cervix ( freaked me the heck out) so I made an appointment 3 months later cuz she said it's not urgent to go the next day.

Before I go further, I have not donea PAP smear for 8-10 years, the last time I had (which I thought was the PAP) is when I had a regular normal yeast infection that was cleared after a suppository and done, how naive I was that I thought that was a pap...cuz I figured they opened me up, swabbed and checked what I had and said I have yeast, I thought maybe they didn't find anything else and just fixed the problem and done. and I clean myself all that etc.

I would have a job and didn't have proper medical insurance and or would get laid off and no insurance at all...so I didn't really think about all that since I thought I was clear. and I only had One boyfriend for 3 years and then my husband now.

So, now I don't know if I recenlty devleop and got HPV or maybe I had cells when I was with my first boyfriend. But I was told you usually get the Human Pappiloma Virus through sexual contact, that almost all women that have been or are sexually active can have the HPV but this is why when you are active to always get a pap swear, just to catch early and treat and cure etc.

If you are sexually active please please check and have pap smear when you can as often just to prevent anything.

So, now, after my 3 biopsy (one visit) I have to wait to see my results... The wait is the worse because I'm hoping I'm ok and everybody and hopefully can get pregnant with our future kids and be healthy beautiful family and normal and happy etc. I pray. Have a support system if you are really worried, but like I said, Ask questions... please let me know how you are doing.- blessings8

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2012, 05:52 AM   #3
(female)

WorriedSick83 HB User
Re: Helpp?! abnormal pap smear HPV?

Honestly, I know it seems very scary but this is very common! I'm 24 years old, and I have not had many sexual partners. I had a pap in March of this year, and didn't receive a call until July to tell me that my pap was abnormal.

When I went in for a follow up mid August, the Dr. told me that I had abnormal cells of unknown significance (possibly pre-cancerous) and was positive for cancer causing HPV (apparently there are multiple strains but only a couple are known to cause cancer) Anyways she suggested we do another pap, and that sometimes the body can reject the HPV virus and the abnormal cells will return back to normal.

I got the results two weeks ago and guess what? Perfectly normal. No HPV, no abnormal cells, everything is great. This happened to my Aunt and one of my close friends as well. It is very common so please try not to worry yourself too much.

Even if it is pre-cancerous, it would be in the very early stages so your prognosis would be excellent. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:02 PM   #4
(female)

amberx0 HB User
Re: Help?! abnormal pap smear HPV?

thanks ! thats so helpfull!
another wuestion, does the colposcopy hurt? :/

Old 09-11-2012, 03:50 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Amber, are you aware that you should not have sex within 24 hours before a pap smear? Or bathe with bubble bath beforehand? Both can give an abnormal result. I wouldn't be concerned. We've all had an abnormal pap at one time or another.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #6
(female)

Fishermans wife HB User

Amber- colposcopy was not bad. For me, the biopsy was terrible. Hurt like no other. I would recommend a heating pad, movie, and ice cream

Old 09-16-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
(female)

amberx0 HB User

do tehy go hand in hand ?
do you automatically get them at the same time ?

Old 09-18-2012, 01:07 PM   #8
(female)

Fishermans wife HB User

No...after you get an abnormal pap they should schedule a biopsy to see if it is precancerous and if so what type. so if you got your abnormal pap in march what is going on now? I also found out last march and already had it removed.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:13 PM   #9
(female)

Fishermans wife HB User

Omg I must have been really tired when I first replied. Colposcopy and biopsy are the same....depending on the outcome of that your doc can either do leep or cone biopsy. Sorry that was weird! For me, the colposcopy hurt like no other but leep was much easier. Hope that clears the confusion!

Closed Thread