It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
(female)

jwalker13 HB User
Unhappy Newly Diagnosed with CIN 2 - How To Handle My Partner

Hi everyone,

These last few weeks have been like a whirlwind, and I needed to reach out to get support from others. About 2 weeks ago, I received my first abnormal pap results, but they told me the abnormality looked very minimal, but they scheduled me for the colposcopy anyways. I went and did that and the OB-GYN there told me that it just looked inflammed and she'd be surprised if anything came back that needed to be treated. I got a call from my OB-GYN yesterday and she apologized and said that it one of the biopsies did come back as CIN 2 and that they'd want to perform a LEEP procedure to get rid of those abnormal cells that were hiding on the inside of my cervix. I have some important questions for those going through similar things:
- I'm 25, pretty healthy, don't smoke, but have been taking the pill for quite some time. What are my chances of doing the LEEP procedure and getting rid of all of the abnormal cells (and just proceeding with paps every 6 months or so)?
- Do you recommend bringing someone with you to the procedure? I live in a different country than my family and I'm very scared to go alone.
- Now here's my main question... my boyfriend (25) does not deal well with health issues. We have been dating for over a year. It just so happened that I received my diagnosis as being HPV+ 2 days before he was leaving on tour as a musician. He blew up and essentially told me that it was too stressful for him to deal with and how it was such bad timing and that we obviously need to talk about my 'sexual history'. Fast forward a couple of days, he lets me know that he overreacted but he still would like to sit down and talk in the next week (a couple of the shows got cancelled) and that we can work through any issues together. So I went off of this, and when I found out that I had CIN 2, I told him right away. He reacted in a very similar way to when I told him I had HPV. He told me that my health issues (I have a couple other things going on, like anxiety) is too much for him to emotionally deal with and that's he's quote "25 years old, my career is just taking off and I don't want to deal with this added stress". Ladies, I love this guy, but he's never made me feel so unsupported, cast aside and unimportant in our entire relationship. He's essentially telling me that his career is going to take precedence over anything & that I have to be the one to wait around to find out if he's going to be there for me or not. Please keep in mind that I'm away from home, pretty much alone in this city, and he's my best friend here. My family is telling me to break it off with him because the way he's reacting is selfish and not the way that your boyfriend should be treating you. A part of me believes this, but another part of me thinks that maybe if I had told him in a different way, or waited until he wasn't so stressed out about going on tour, that he would have acted differently. Would you break if off with someone if they weren't willing to support your health issues? Should I just try and go at this alone, but stick with him? What should I do??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2012, 10:50 PM   #2
(female)

Jen488 HB User
Re: Newly Diagnosed with CIN 2 - How To Handle My Partner

Hi there,

With respect to the leep procedure, they will do their best to remove all the abnormal cells from your cervix, but you will need to go back for a few follow-ups in the following months to check. I definitely recommend bringing someone with you (who you trust to be supportive) for moral support

With respect to HPV infections, the best thing you can do for yourself is to boost your immune system (you own body's defences are the best way to fight infections).

Here are some ways to boost your immune system:

Diet:
We all know that eating well is one of the cornerstones of great health, but what does that mean exactly?
(1) Eliminate all refined sugar (white/brown sugar, corn syrup, etc.), and refined foods i.e. white pasta, white rice, white bread, etc. Instead, always opt for whole grain versions.
(2) Make sure you're eating enough protein - opt for chicken, turkey, fish, legumes (like beans and lentils) and avoid red meat.
(3) Eat your vegetables!!! Aim for 8-10 servings of vegetables and fruit a day (fresh or frozen). Remember that 1/2 cup = 1 serving, so it's not as hard as it sounds.

Lifestyle:
(1) Exercise! Another great way to boost your immune system. Atleast 30 min of brisk walking a day is a great way to start
(2) Relaxation techniques: weather it's yoga, meditation, reading a favourite novel, etc. reducing your stress is vital to health. Chronic stress actually lowers your immune system.

Supplements:
(1) Probiotics - these "good bacteria" help rebalance your gut flora, and considering approx 70% of your immune system is located in your gut, is a great way to help boost immunity (also helps improve digestion).
(2) Papillex - a supplement specifically for hpv, it contains some amazing herbs and extracts like reishi mushroom and astragalus that have a ton of research backing up their efficacy (I absolutely love this product, it's worked wonders for me).

With respect to you and your boyfriend: difficult situations, especially concerning health, can really test a relationship. At this time, support is THE thing that you need and the fact that your boyfriend reacted the way he did is a serious red flag. No one can tell you what to do (i.e. whether or not you should stay with him), but you need to have a serious conversation with him and really ask yourself if this relationship is good for you.

I really hope this helps and good luck

Closed Thread

Tags
breakup, cin2, confused, hpv high risk