It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
(female)

teddy111 HB User
Diagnosed with genital warts

Hello .
I'm wondering if anyone has any advice or could be any help to me.
Around five weeks ago I found small white bumps on my vagina. I went to my doctor who thought it could have been herpes and told me to go and have a full STD check. I did this and everything came back negative.
The other day I realised that these lumps had still not cleared up (although they do look like they are on their way out) so I headed back to the doctors who took one look and said "that's definetely not herpes, that's genital warts!".
I asked if there was any treatment and she said considering mine are small and do look like they are clearing.. it's best just to leave it. She said they will 100% clear up on their own although it may take a few months before they will be gone completely.
I obviously felt quite settled hearing this (after a few weeks of thinking I had herpes) but after having a look online, it seems to me like most people are treated with creams or laser surgery?? My doctor never mentioned anything and assured me they will go on their own. Is this true?

Old 10-01-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
(female)

Switch96 HB UserSwitch96 HB UserSwitch96 HB UserSwitch96 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Diagnosed with genital warts

Sorry about your diagnosis, but it is good that you have made the decision to speak with your doctor in order to seek a path to healing.

What your doctor has said is usually the case. HPV tends to clear up spontaneously on its own. It is important to keep your immune system strong by taking folic acid and daily multivitamin. I also recommend taking an l-lysene tablet (good for cell reproduction) and Vitamin A, which helps with the immune strength of your external body (skin, orifices, etc). Smoking is bad for the immune system, so if you are a smoker, it may be time to cut back or quit. Too much alcohol can also inhibit the immune system, so parties will have to be kept to a minimum.

As for when HPV goes away on its own... it varies from person to person. From what I have read, most people will spontaneously become asymptomatic within about five eight months, though for some it takes up to two years. According to the CDC, around 60-70% of people are symptom free within a year, and about 90% within two years. It is not uncommon for doctors to not treat lesions upon the initial onset. It can be expensive, and sometimes the warts come back during the early stages after diagnosis. Perhaps wait a month or two and see if they go away. If not, you may want to look into treatment options. I advocate for helping your body to resolve the infection in any way you can... warts are concentrated collections of virally infected tissue, and by not treating them, your body must fight off that infected tissue on its own. Using TCA chemically destroys the targeted tissue. Laser surgery mechanically removes the tissue. Aldara/Imiquimod, which was originally developed to fight melanoma, is a topical cream that enhances the immune system's response at the local area. Either of those three options may help you reduce your symptoms faster.

That being said, it is up to you to decide what the best course of action is. Take any new information to your doctor and ask if he/she would recommend treatment at any point in the future. I think that a "wait and see" approach will be recommended at least for a little while, but it is up to you, the patient, to advocate for what you want out of your healthcare. Also look into getting the Gardasil shot to prevent subsequent HPV infections.

Hope this was helpful, and I hope that you will keep up your proactive approach.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread