It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 09:45 PM   #1
(male)

ninobrown26 HB User
HPV risks?

what are the risks?

how much help is a condom with someone that is positive that is also getting treatments for precanserious cells?

how long before you see warts if u get them?

Old 10-04-2012, 10:39 PM   #2
(female)

WorriedSick83 HB User
Re: Hpv

I recently was told I had HPV and pre cancerous cells only to return for a pap smear 3 months later and all was back to normal. Your body often fights off and rejects the virus. Anyways, the HPV that causes cervical cancers is not the same strain of HPV that causes warts, so you're in the clear as far as those are concerned. I'm not exactly sure as I have not completely educated myself on the subject however I believe there aren't any negative effects on males who get this strain of HPV other than they can pass it on to future sex partners and put them at risk for developing cervical cancer. I'd say its best for you to use protection in the future to prevent the risk of spreading it was in fact passed to you.

Edit to add: I just realized you said you used a condom so the chances that this strain of HPV was passed to you are slim to none since it is found inside of the vagina. A female can still pass HPV genital warts strain even with the use of a condom as they can be on the outer labia (lips) of the vagina which does come into contact with your body even with a condom. But, I would assume that any man who saw genital warts on a woman would not proceed to have sex with her.

Also from what I was told by my doctor, there is no screening or test a male can take to check for the presence of HPV.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 10-06-2012 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Thread moved.

The Following User Says Thank You to WorriedSick83 For This Useful Post:
ninobrown26 (10-05-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
(male)

ninobrown26 HB User
Re: Hpv

ok cool, i didnt realize that it was just for hiv but thanks for the insite, from what i read it looks like its transmitted through skin to skin contact, so thats what makes me nervous but yea ill look for other health boreds and thanks again.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #4
(female)

Switch96 HB UserSwitch96 HB UserSwitch96 HB UserSwitch96 HB User
Re: HPV risks?

Good on you for using a condom for sure. Condoms greatly reduce the risk of spreading HPV. In terms of how cervical HPV (types 16 and 18) can effect male, patients, about 50% of penile cancers are linked to HPV infection, according to *****. Unfortunately, there is indeed no way for males to know if they are carriers of type 16 or 18, but the good news is that most HPV cases in people with healthy immune systems resolve in about two years, according to the CDC.
Probably you have heard the whole campaign (before about 2006) that said that condoms do not offer protection... that is an issue if the HPV has affected the external genital or groin area. External symptoms are most common with GW.
It is good that your partner was open about her condition, and good that you used a condom. The bottom line is that a condom is better than no condom.

Closed Thread

Tags
hpv, hpv+