It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 07:54 AM   #1
(female)

mgrjenny HB User
He has HPV- date him or not? I am Nervous..

I am crazy about someone I met online and confused what to do. We have ourt first date tomorrow. He informed me last night that the reason he has been reluctant to meet is because he has HPV. I dont know what number or version, just that he has warts.

Were already crazy about one another and could have a future, based on conversations and pics we have shared. But I am 40yrs old and its hard enough to find someone to spend your life with in this day and age, I have been online dating awhile now. Its a miracle I dont already have HPV with all the partners I have had and unprotected sex over the yrs.

He says if someone loves him, it shouldnt matter, and shrugs it off like its no big deal, That it will go away in two yrs anyway, HE SAYS...I know I see that when I look online too.

I like alot of sex and foreplay. I sell sexual products and like it alot. But I guess my fear is, I am already getting older and have issues finding a good guy, if I get with him and it dont work out and I get HPV as a parting gift?

Plan A- What would you suggest? Walk away and not try with him?

Plan B- Go for it, if we have a connection, worse case scenario it will go away in 2 yrs?

If I go get the Gardisan shot, those are spread out over time right? I dont have medical ins. Are they expensive to buy one at a time and is it effective enough after first shot to not get it? If I run and get shot tomorrow? Or not effective until I have done all three shots?

I am so confused what to do, HELP and thoughts please...I really like this guy, but worry i wil be skittish and afraid to do foreplay or sex with him.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
(female)

Wolfocean HB User
Re: He has HPV- date him or not? I am Nervous..

No one can tell you go for it or run. But be informed before making a decision either way. Gardasil does not guarantee you will be 100% protected from the 4 strains it tries to fight. I'm not sure it even helps prevent the genital warts strain. If you want to take a shot with him protect yourself. Condoms are not a sure protection but its better than nothing if you want to try and have a relationship that can be long lasting. Sorry if I wasn't much help I'm still learning about HPV myself.

Wolfy

Old 01-27-2013, 03:20 PM   #3
(female)

mgrjenny HB User

[QUOTE=Wolfocean;5123543]No one can tell you go for it or run. But be informed before making a decision either way. Gardasil does not guarantee you will be 100% protected from the 4 strains it tries to fight. I'm not sure it even helps prevent the genital warts strain. If you want to take a shot with him protect yourself. Condoms are not a sure protection but its better than nothing if you want to try and have a relationship that can be long lasting. Sorry if I wasn't much help I'm still learning about HPV myself.

THANKS for replying. We had our first date last night and my instincts were correct, I really like him and we plan to continue to date. I cant get shots, I am 40 yrs old and they only give the vaccination until age 26, which totally sucks, We can use a condom but how else can we be protected.

His doctor told him he has a mild case and his body is fighting it off fast and thinks he will be free of it within a yr. Doc said it is such a mild case and his body is fighting it so well, he didnt even prescribe meds. That is somewhat reassuring...

Old 01-27-2013, 03:58 PM   #4
(female)

Wolfocean HB User

There really is no other way to protect against besides condoms for you unless you plan on being celibate. Even if no warts are visible you can still get HPV because some are so tiny you can't see them. So no condom you take the chance of getting it and with a condom you stand a better chance of being protected from it.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:21 PM   #5
(female)

Switch96 HB UserSwitch96 HB UserSwitch96 HB UserSwitch96 HB User

I'd say get to know him. You aren't obligated to have sex. If he turns out to be a keeper, then he will be willing to wait for you to take the necessary measures in order for you to become comfortable. If he pressures you for sex and you are not comfortable, then drop him. He's not worth the risk, or any of the other baggage he is obviously carrying if he has to force you to sleep with him.

The Gardasil shot is a series of three shots. The first two are spaced two months apart, and the vaccine becomes active after the second shot. The third shot is a booster, which takes place four months after the second shot.

I paid for my first shot out of pocket... $250 bucks at my local pharmacy :-/ Expensive, but if you ask me, it was worth it.

Last edited by Switch96; 01-27-2013 at 06:25 PM.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #6
(male)

Sideem HB User

[QUOTE=mgrjenny;5123896]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfocean View Post
No one can tell you go for it or run. But be informed before making a decision either way. Gardasil does not guarantee you will be 100% protected from the 4 strains it tries to fight. I'm not sure it even helps prevent the genital warts strain. If you want to take a shot with him protect yourself. Condoms are not a sure protection but its better than nothing if you want to try and have a relationship that can be long lasting. Sorry if I wasn't much help I'm still learning about HPV myself.

THANKS for replying. We had our first date last night and my instincts were correct, I really like him and we plan to continue to date. I cant get shots, I am 40 yrs old and they only give the vaccination until age 26, which totally sucks, We can use a condom but how else can we be protected.

His doctor told him he has a mild case and his body is fighting it off fast and thinks he will be free of it within a yr. Doc said it is such a mild case and his body is fighting it so well, he didnt even prescribe meds. That is somewhat reassuring...
I'm so glad you guys had a good date. I don't get why Gardisil is only limited to a certain age range. I wonder if it's cause they figure by the time you're 26, it's likely you've already been exposed and Gardisil may not make a difference. Just theorizing...no idea. I recently was diagnosed with HPV and am just trying to read up more about it.

Reply Reply