It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
(male)

trosin HB User
HPV/Genital Warts - Where did i catch it???

I've been with my current girlfriend for over 7 months. We started having sex early in our relationship and I always used protection, other than during oral. I started developing bumps a few months in... I went to a walk in clinic and was diagnosed with "molluscum contagiosum" but I felt that it didn't completely fit the description. After some time was diagnosed by my family doctor with genital warts. He told me that molluscum and genital warts are similar things, and that they were from the same group? He was a bit unclear about this...

Anyway... I'm a bit confused as to where this is coming from. I felt very positive that I got it from my current girlfriend; she has told me of her past and has had unprotected sex with multiple partners. She recently had a pap smear though and it came back negative... she also had a rapid blood test for HIV/STDS at an std clinic and it came back negative for everything.

My only other partner I had ever been with before her was my girlfriend of 3 years. Both of us were virgins when we started dating. I never cheated, and I'm fairly certain she never physically cheated on me either...

I clearly have the disease, but my girlfriend's doctor keeps assuring her that if she did, there would be physical symptoms (she would have visible warts).

I just don't know what to believe, does she really not have it? I got it after having sex with her for a while, and although I used protection, the warts showed up in the region that was unprotected, not on the shaft.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2013, 05:14 AM   #2
(male)

tiroxy HB User
Re: HPV/Genital Warts - Where did i catch it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by trosin View Post
I've been with my current girlfriend for over 7 months. We started having sex early in our relationship and I always used protection, other than during oral. I started developing bumps a few months in... I went to a walk in clinic and was diagnosed with "molluscum contagiosum" but I felt that it didn't completely fit the description. After some time was diagnosed by my family doctor with genital warts. He told me that molluscum and genital warts are similar things, and that they were from the same group? He was a bit unclear about this...

Anyway... I'm a bit confused as to where this is coming from. I felt very positive that I got it from my current girlfriend; she has told me of her past and has had unprotected sex with multiple partners. She recently had a pap smear though and it came back negative... she also had a rapid blood test for HIV/STDS at an std clinic and it came back negative for everything.

My only other partner I had ever been with before her was my girlfriend of 3 years. Both of us were virgins when we started dating. I never cheated, and I'm fairly certain she never physically cheated on me either...

I clearly have the disease, but my girlfriend's doctor keeps assuring her that if she did, there would be physical symptoms (she would have visible warts).

I just don't know what to believe, does she really not have it? I got it after having sex with her for a while, and although I used protection, the warts showed up in the region that was unprotected, not on the shaft.
almost same here. she didn't have it and i diagnosed with hpv besides, never had unprotected. good luck with it

Old 02-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #3
(female)

Switch96 HB UserSwitch96 HB UserSwitch96 HB UserSwitch96 HB User
Re: HPV/Genital Warts - Where did i catch it???

The type of HPV that causes GW is different from the type that causes cervical cancer. Types 6 and 11 are the most common GW strains, while 16 and 18 are the most common potentially cancerous strains. Therefore, even if she did have GW, her pap tests wouldn't show it.

The problem with HPV, and many other STIs at that, is that so many people do not show symptoms. It is only about 25% of people who actually show symptoms of HPV specifically. So, it is possible that she could have had HPV but not known, a condition known as "subclinical" infection. No doctor could have picked up on it either, since there were no visible signs. Condoms are also very effective, but are not 100%, since HPV can effect the pubic mound and scrotum, none of which are covered by the male condom. Definitely consider investing in female condoms. They provide a much more effective level of external protection.

So yes... I am calling BS on your gf's doctor. She was probably subclinically infected, which is VERY common. Start taking a daily multivitamin and folic acid. If you have health insurance access, consider looking into Imiquimod (Aldara) to treat your symptoms. It is by far the most effective way to combat the condition.

Good luck

Reply Reply

« Hpv | Hpv »