It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2003, 11:07 AM   #1

osu330 HB User
Question ALS or Hypochondriac..... Help

I am a just turned 24 male who has been dealing with muscle twitching for about 2 1/2 months now. The muscle spasms started after some very stressful times in my life. They started out very pronounced, all over my body and constant, and the muscle spasms starting to die down considerably after I got my nerves a bit more under control. As of now I still get these random spasms, however almost three weeks ago I did a search on muscle spasms and ALS came up all over the place. This made me go to see a nuerologist at the Cleveland Clinic. The neuro did a thorough physical exam and found no atrophy or weakness. Upon completion of the exam he assured me I had no motor neuron diease and did not think it was necessary to do an EMG. A few days after the exam I was still searching info on ALS and suddenly noticed that my right leg felt weaker than the other leg. I lift wieghts all the time and it is not weak at all it just feels a bit lighter I guess is the best explanation. In addition, my right wrist gets very sore at times and my left ankle is very sore when I wake up in the morning but gets better as the day goes on. Is this stress related possibly? Is percieved weakness a first sign of ALS? Anything I can look for to assure me things are ok or to let me know things are not ok? Any info would be greatly appreciated since the information on the internet is confusing.

Thank YOU

Old 10-18-2003, 12:23 PM   #2
(female)

slaughter17 HB User
Hi. If your neurologist told you not to worry I would listen to him. ALS usuaally does not strike people in their 20's. It typically hits people in their middle age. I would not worry about ALS. There are so many other disorders that cause muscle spasms. If it causes more problems in the future I would continue to see your doc about it. Good Luck.

Last edited by slaughter17; 12-20-2003 at 01:15 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2003, 11:45 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Hi Osu-
You just got a clean bill of health from a neuro at the Cleveland Clinic (just about the best place you could go!)!!!

You mention that these twitches and spasms started during or just after a stressful period in your life. The fact that you haven't been reassured yet might mean you are still very stressed or anxious about *something* and it hasn't been resolved yet.....

I would certainly trust the neuologist. You are O.K. But anxiety can make your body feel all kinds of weird things including sensations of weakness and tightness and soreness (muscle tension).

"Perceived" weakness is not a sign of ALS. The neurologist would have detected REAL weakness, and he didn't.

I spent two years of my life convinced I had ALS because I "perceived" that my legs felt weak. I also had intermittent twitches in my hand. 2 neuros said no pathology at all.
I was UN-reassurable. I kept thinking they missed it.
It wasn't until I saw a therapist and got my anxiety and the issues that caused it under control that all these sensations miraculously went away!

Try to relax. Stop searching the internet! (In the old days I would have said "throw away those medical books!)

zuzu xx

Old 11-08-2003, 09:21 AM   #4

sujenke HB User
I also went running to the neurologist because of twitching. He told me that when ALS is involved, the twitching is a result of the loss of muscle strenth. It isn't a symptom of ALS so much of a result of muscle dying. SO twitching without a considerable and noticeable loss of strength isn't ALS. My neurologist said that LOTS of people twitch for no apparent reason other than stress.

Old 12-18-2003, 06:52 AM   #5

Meloman HB User
Re: ALS or Hypochondriac..... Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzu8
Hi Osu-
You just got a clean bill of health from a neuro at the Cleveland Clinic (just about the best place you could go!)!!!

You mention that these twitches and spasms started during or just after a stressful period in your life. The fact that you haven't been reassured yet might mean you are still very stressed or anxious about *something* and it hasn't been resolved yet.....

I would certainly trust the neuologist. You are O.K. But anxiety can make your body feel all kinds of weird things including sensations of weakness and tightness and soreness (muscle tension).

"Perceived" weakness is not a sign of ALS. The neurologist would have detected REAL weakness, and he didn't.

I spent two years of my life convinced I had ALS because I "perceived" that my legs felt weak. I also had intermittent twitches in my hand. 2 neuros said no pathology at all.
I was UN-reassurable. I kept thinking they missed it.
It wasn't until I saw a therapist and got my anxiety and the issues that caused it under control that all these sensations miraculously went away!

Try to relax. Stop searching the internet! (In the old days I would have said "throw away those medical books!)

zuzu xx
Thanks for the info. Just what a guy needs to hear sometimes. The mind is a powerful thing and can play tricks on you pretty good.

Old 12-21-2003, 03:39 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: ALS or Hypochondriac..... Help

osu, Just a suggestion here as to a possible cause for your muscle twitching,and weakness.Have you had your magnesium and potassium checked lately? Sometimes ,especially at times when you are really stressed,and also for other medical reasons,your body can deplete it's stores of certain vitamins and minerals.Two years ago, my youngest son became extremely ill with liver disease, we went through many trips to the ER for various strange things that would happen with our son.One evening we were just sitting there watching TV when all of the sudden my sons arms started contorting all over the place.It was really bizarre to watch.He would just sit there and all of the sudden, his whole hand would just snap forward or backwards.after watching this for about a half an hour, I called his doc and he wanted him seen in the ER.After doing some labs, it was determined that his magnesium levels were dangerously low.They stated him on mag-ox 400,and by the end of the next day, he was fine.His muscles had been twitching periodically for about two weeks prior to this so that is why I am going through this little story.Potassium ,or lack there of can also have an effect on your on your muscles.I can remember my grandma ,sitting there eating a bananna every night before she went to bed as she used to suffer with horrible charlie horses in her calves almost every night until her Dr suggested that she try eating a bananna(banannas are loaded with potassium) once a day as this could just be a low potssium thing.And sure enough, that was it.Hope this helps. feelbad

Closed Thread