It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2003, 09:36 PM   #1

outlaw79 HB User
hypochondria

since i got pd,4 years ago,the first 2 sucked but man,after i got gerd 2 years ago ive had lung cancer,throat cancer,esphageal cancer,barretts..stomach cancer,bad heart,kidney etc..im only 24 i take xanax .5 4 times a day im always looking at my kid or lady and thinking i wont be around much longer...2 questions..

1)what works good for this meds,and has anyone beat it?

2)can we actually cause some of these symptoms of diseases if you looked them up and have the symptoms from pd or what cause im always sick with something

p.s im 24 yo,thin tall guy,drs laugh like im fine everytime..

Old 12-23-2003, 10:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User
Re: hypochondria

Are you saying that all those diseases you list are what you obsess that you have or had? First I read it that you actually had all those, but then realized with the title of your post being hypochondria, that you must mean you obsess about those. Many of us have health obsession, it's not fun, but the right med can help you to stop obsessing about them. Xanax is to unreliable to take on a regular basis. It's effects are too short lived and for me, it took me real high then when it wore off, it dropped me way low, so I am now on Klonopin which works much better & you cannot feel it wear off & it doesn't take you real high either.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2003, 11:46 PM   #3

outlaw79 HB User

over the lat few years ive thought ive had these diseases,its a cyce..

Old 12-24-2003, 05:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User

The only thing that every worked for me was Xanax.
I took .25MG's twice a day.
I never felt the highs and lows with it that lori did, but you have to remember that everyone is different.
It worked for me, but wasn't the best thing for her, so it's hard to say what the "Best" thing to take is.
Some people use a combo of medication and thearpy, that works well for some.
Some use thearpy only, that works well for some people...but did nothing for me.
I also belong to a self-help group, it's run by people who suffer...or have in the past with Panic Disorder, OCD, Depression, or PTSD.
No Doctors involved, just talking to other people like me, was a great help.
Like I said everyone is different.

Yes, you can beat it.
I don't have panic attacks any more, I'm slowly weaning off of my medication and I'm having no problems at all doing that.

I'm a firm believer that people like us can bring on these symptoms of serious illness just by thinking about it, searching the internet, even watching certain TV shows or movies, and the biggie for me....looking things up in a Medical Dictionary...my Husband actually threw ours out.
He just looked at me one day and said "If you really had all of the things you think you do, you'd have been dead a long time ago"....all of a sudden I realized he was right.

I do believe that once you are checked out by a Doctor...had all the tests and everything is normal, that we have to do our best to let it go, and do our best to stop obessing over every little twinge we feel in our bodies.
I still get the odd feeling here and there, but I just remember that I'm okay.
I have a complete physical once a year...blood work, x-ray's, EKG's, the whole nine yards, that's how I know I'm fine and that it's just my mind trying to play tricks on me, but I have it fooled, I won't let it do that to me any more.
I know it's easier said than done, but if you stop and think about it, what my Husband said is right, if we really had all the things we think we do we wouldn't still be here.

Sorry, this turned into a book instead of a simple answer.

Last edited by Graciecat; 12-24-2003 at 05:35 AM.

Old 12-24-2003, 07:59 AM   #5
Veteran

KayT HB User

The best advise I could give is to avoid looking up symptoms on the internet. I did that about five year ago and my anxiety went through the roof..............I was convinced that my life was over and what you said about looking at your kids and thinking you weren't going to be around for them, that struck a cord with me, I had the same thoughts.

It took Paxil to get me over the hump.........

Hang in there,

Kaytee:-)

Graciecat,

I was wondering if the Xanax helped to calm the obsessive thinking as well as the anxiety..........I know those two play hand in hand........my doctor currently gave me Xanax and it seems to calm my entire system down.........

Kaytee:-)

Old 12-24-2003, 10:09 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User

KayT,

I have OCD and sadly the Xanax did nothing to take away those thoughts.
They say the only drugs that work for OCD are the SSRI's and I tried two different ones and had allergic reactions to both.
So the OCD is just something I've grown used to and live with it the best I can.
For me the panic disorder was always worse than the OCD, so I'm just glad I don't have the attacks anymore.

Closed Thread