It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2004, 11:25 AM   #1
Inactive

GertieMae HB User
Question Hypochondria

Hello and goodafternoon-

Can a person be a Hypochondriac,constantly believing something is wrong with them,yet doesnt go to the Doctor everytime they think something is wrong?

Old 01-08-2004, 11:38 AM   #2
Inactive

GertieMae HB User
Re: Hypochondria

Hi Simplegirl,

Thanks..When I first began having PA's I was at the Doctor everytime the doors were unlocked.Even tho I have a tremendous fear of Doctors I didnt care because I literally thought I was dying but still held out a little hope he could help me and fix the problem.

After 9 years I still find myself questioning what is wrong with me even if it is little aches and pains not related to Panic.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2004, 12:05 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB Userworrywort HB User

I can fully relate to this!!! my file is so freaking thick, I don't go as much now because I am embarresed and think they talk about me when I leave the office or something. I made my doc tell me there was nothing wrong with my heart because I wanted to hear it come out of her mouth. I am a definate hypochondriac!!!!!!! Now when I get a headache I still think I have a brain tumor or something but I just try and relax and take a freakin tylenol.
Carly

Old 01-08-2004, 07:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

Some12 HB User
Cool Re: Hypochondria

Quote:
Originally Posted by GertieMae
Hello and goodafternoon-

Can a person be a Hypochondriac,constantly believing something is wrong with them,yet doesnt go to the Doctor everytime they think something is wrong?
Dear GertieMae, Hello and Good evening
I was a Hypochondriac when I was a young teenager and then I just changed and became just the opposite, like I was invisible. My parents once had to take me to have a complete physical because I touched a garbage can and forgot to wash my hands before dinner. I was convinced I had cancer. A few years later, working on farms, I accidently dropped my sandwich at lunch in the dirt and picked it up, brushed it off and ate it. When I first got panic attack I was at the Doctors at the first sign of a symptom. Then I finally realized that it did nothing for me but comfort me and was a waste of time. My Doctor was loving it because I had one of the highest paying Insurances at the time that would approve anything that he wanted to do. I think there is a little Hypochondriac in us all, it just depends on if we let it get to us or not.
Have a nic day, GertieMae.

Sincerely,

Sickman

Old 01-08-2004, 08:14 PM   #5
Veteran

KayT HB User

Health issues are a big concern for me as well. I have a family history of heart disease and cancer, so these things scare me the most. I recently had a heart treadmill test and it came back fine. I just try and stay on top of things and reassure myself that I am okay. If the doc checks me out and finds things to be alright, then I remind myself that each time she has done that things did turn out to be okay. The key is to find a doctor you can trust and mine has known me since I was 18 or so, so she knows me well and I trust her.

Kaytee:-)

Old 01-08-2004, 09:13 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

Hi,
I, too, would consider myself a hypochondriac. I was dx'd with thyroid cancer in June. It was very curable, but I had a hard time dealing with it and have been obsessed with my health ever since.
I'm sure everyone at my Dr.'s office has some really good laughs when I leave. There for a couple months I was in there atleast once a week. At one point, I was sure I had heart disease. Then, one day I knew I had a collapsed lung or pulmonary embolism. I used to spend hours researching diseases...coming up with several I thought I had.
Thankfully, I am doing much better with my health anxiety, now. I even went for a month straight without running into my Dr.'s office. I can laugh at myself now for some of the crazy things I came up with.

Last edited by hilery79; 01-08-2004 at 09:15 PM.

Old 01-10-2004, 02:32 AM   #7
Inactive

GertieMae HB User

Thanks all I really appreciate your responses,but now have another ? regarding Hypochondria..

What exactly is the difference between Hypochondria and Panic?I took my Mother with me one day when going to see my Doctor.I wanted someone there with me to prove to him I wasnt crazy.

He explained the diff but its been 9 years ago I cant recall what he said.

Old 01-10-2004, 06:39 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

Some12 HB User
Wink Re: Hypochondria

Quote:
Originally Posted by GertieMae
Thanks all I really appreciate your responses,but now have another ? regarding Hypochondria..

What exactly is the difference between Hypochondria and Panic?I took my Mother with me one day when going to see my Doctor.I wanted someone there with me to prove to him I wasnt crazy.

He explained the diff but its been 9 years ago I cant recall what he said.
Dear GertieMae,
A Hypochondriac thinks he or she has illnesses constantly. It doesn't have to have any foundation of normal symptoms of the illness for thinking it. When they find that they do not have that illness they move on to thinking they have something else that does not have to relate at all to the other illness. When a person is panicing over and illness they are generally exhiiting symptoms of panic that is mimicing an illness or in the general area of a vital organ or it is something they read and feel they have the symptoms. When it is proven that they do not have the illness, they unlike the Hypochondriac, generally continue to search for an answer to those specific symtoms. When a person panicing has chest pain, the first thing they think is I'm having a heart attack. When that is proven wrong they still do not want to except panic attack and tend to try to relate it to something like a breathing problem. When a Hypochondriac has chect pain and proven wrong the next day their illness may be severe chornic arthritus in the left ankle because when they got out of bed their ankle joint made a crack sound. Hypochondriacs can have a new thing everyday or multiple things all the time in their mind. They don't have to have the correct symptoms, just the belief that they have the illnesses alone. Have a nice day GertieMae. Oh and by the way. I re-read a post, at least I think it was from you concerning the difference between Valium and Klonopin. After I read again what I wrote, it sounded like I was coming on a little to strong there. Your information was correct and I am sorry if I gave you the impression that it gave me when I re-read it. I stated, "That I have to disagree". I was only disagreeing with one point not all of them and that is only my opinion anyway. It did sound as though I was chopping up your post, Sorry. Good day GertieMae,

Sincerely,

Sickman

Old 01-10-2004, 08:49 AM   #9
Inactive

GertieMae HB User

Hi Sickman,

Iam a Hypochondriac(to an extinct).I do have PD and GAD,but am constantly worrying about my Hlth.Any little ache,pain,twitch or spasm I feel its the"ultimate".

I however dont run to the Doctor every waking moment because I have a fear of Doctors...not as people but afraid of what they might find wrong with me.I dont want to be sick.

Ive always been Phobic of Doctors even as a small child.I remember all thru school I didnt go to the Doctor.I didnt start going to the Doctor til I was out of High School.It seems I was there all the time.I didnt start having a problem until I was 22 though.

I remember one night I had severe pain in my upper Stomach and chest.I was freaking out it was Heart related and demanded my Mother take me to the ER.She refused!

I did make an appt to see my Doctor,and by the Symptoms I gave her,she prescribed me Axid.After taking it awhile I never had the pain again.

I have lots of Sinus/Allergy problems.I worry myself sick that if it is Sinus,I will go blind,develop a Brain Abscess and get Encephalitis or Meningitis.

Small things such as Headaches(which I dont get often)can be equally as alarming for me.I take on Symptoms too.Thanks for your input on Hypochondria

RE:Posting on Valium and Klonopin...disregarded already.No worries...

BTW...When I was in Elementary School many moons ago.An Army Helicopter landed in the School yard.We got to take a tour of it.I flipped!!

Old 01-10-2004, 10:44 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB Userworrywort HB User

gertie, You sound idenical to me! I also have sinus problems and think the same thing!!! headache=tumor....chest pain=heart attack. It is really nice to know you are not alone. We are all here with ya and feel the same way. Have a good day.
Carly

Old 01-10-2004, 11:50 AM   #11
Inactive

GertieMae HB User

Hi ya Worrywart,

Oh my gosh it gets so bad sometimes...If I have a Stomach ache...its Cancer,IBS,or something else.If I have a Pimple that I consider a Boil...its a major Infection or Anemia..If my Urine is darker than normal,I worry Infection,Kidney Disease etc..

Its on and on and on...I dont go to the Doctor now like I did,but if I didnt control it I probably would.

But see,I dont want to know if something bad is wrong with me because to me that = death.Im terrified of going to the Doctor!

Thanks I dont feel so alone now!

Have a great afternoon!

Closed Thread