It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2004, 11:35 AM   #1
(female)

angelgrl28 HB User
Lightbulb hypochondriac STD Testing?

I am a hypochondriac and knowing that pap smears donít detect a lot of STD's and I may not have symptoms but I want to be checked for every STD that I can be checked for but I donít want to go to my regular gyn because I donít feel comfortable I would feel better going to a planned parent hood type of place but i want to know if anyone knows how much that would cost me to do it is a lot of money even if i have insurance?

Old 04-01-2004, 05:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

devastated HB User
Re: hypochondriac STD Testing?

Just to make one thing clear, a PAP does not test for ANY STD's at all. The only thing a pap detects are cervical cell changes, which can be caused by an STD, but it is possible to have an STD for months, or even years, before it damages your cervix enough for the change to show on a PAP. That being said, Planned Parenthood is GREAT. They do take insurance also, so if you have insurance, you would only pay whatever co-pay you generally pay at your gyn. If you don't have insurance, they charge on a sliding scale based on your income level. I have found all the workers at Planned Parenthood to be so nice , that I have been thinking of just going to them for all my gyn needs, instead of my regular gyn.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2004, 06:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

desertdweller HB User

The government is trying pretty hard to crack down on STD's so it shouldn't be too hard to get tested for free. Your local health dept. will do it along with PP. If I remember right, HIV, Gonorrhea, and Syphilis are tested through a blood sample. I was tested for Clamydia from a cervix culture, and my BF through a urine test.

Old 04-01-2004, 10:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

devastated HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdweller
The government is trying pretty hard to crack down on STD's so it shouldn't be too hard to get tested for free. Your local health dept. will do it along with PP. If I remember right, HIV, Gonorrhea, and Syphilis are tested through a blood sample. I was tested for Clamydia from a cervix culture, and my BF through a urine test.
...and herpes is also tested for via blood test. Trich is tested via culture. There are no tests available currently for HPV or molluscum contagium unless lesions are present to do a culture of.

Closed Thread