It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2004, 08:43 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User
Hypochondriac??

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this problem. But I've got to see if anyone else is like me. I think my problem is either anxiety or paranoia or maybe I am just a hypochondriac.
It all started several years ago when I got a bad case of bronchits. It lingered for weeks and I started to worry I had some sort of lung disease. My father died of emphysema/heart problems, my grandfather had lung cancer and my aunt died of an assortment of problems: heart, lung related. So you can see why I would be paranoid. Well, I have always had allergies since as long as I could remember. It seemed like since that bad case of bronchitis, every year I would get sick and cough forever. I finally went to the allergy doctor and had testing and I have hayfever and asthma. I am still paranoid about my lungs. I don't have typical asthma symptoms, I don't cough much, have attacks, just some shortness of breath. I am on medication, but it seems the medication hasn't really helped a lot. (According to my lung function tests). My next appointment is in June to see how well my medicine is working. In the meantime, I have been working out trying to get my lung function up. I test my peak flow like 10 times a day. I just want somebody to say my lungs are ok and that eventually they will be back to normal. I can't really tell you how this bugs me.!!!It really affects me and my family. I get depressed about it and just kind of disassociate from everyone. I am SO paranoid that I will end up like my relatives even though I am healthier a they were and have never smoked. I would really be interested if anyone else is like me?! Thanks!
Cindy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2004, 10:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: Hypochondriac??

doctors often used to have the ability to calm their patients with words of reassurance, explanatrion and comfort.

This now seems sadly to be almost a lost art, instead docs order dozens of test and prescribe dozens of meds and make no attempt to help the patient with their fears.

you need to find a doc who still has this ability who can calm and comforty you

Old 04-02-2004, 06:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hry33
doctors often used to have the ability to calm their patients with words of reassurance, explanatrion and comfort.

This now seems sadly to be almost a lost art, instead docs order dozens of test and prescribe dozens of meds and make no attempt to help the patient with their fears.

you need to find a doc who still has this ability who can calm and comforty you
You sure are right in that first sentence.... I blame all the money the drug companies use as incentive to get doctors to prescribe, prescribe , prescribe

Billy

Old 04-02-2004, 06:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howitt44
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this problem. But I've got to see if anyone else is like me. I think my problem is either anxiety or paranoia or maybe I am just a hypochondriac.
It all started several years ago when I got a bad case of bronchits. It lingered for weeks and I started to worry I had some sort of lung disease. My father died of emphysema/heart problems, my grandfather had lung cancer and my aunt died of an assortment of problems: heart, lung related. So you can see why I would be paranoid. Well, I have always had allergies since as long as I could remember. It seemed like since that bad case of bronchitis, every year I would get sick and cough forever. I finally went to the allergy doctor and had testing and I have hayfever and asthma. I am still paranoid about my lungs. I don't have typical asthma symptoms, I don't cough much, have attacks, just some shortness of breath. I am on medication, but it seems the medication hasn't really helped a lot. (According to my lung function tests). My next appointment is in June to see how well my medicine is working. In the meantime, I have been working out trying to get my lung function up. I test my peak flow like 10 times a day. I just want somebody to say my lungs are ok and that eventually they will be back to normal. I can't really tell you how this bugs me.!!!It really affects me and my family. I get depressed about it and just kind of disassociate from everyone. I am SO paranoid that I will end up like my relatives even though I am healthier a they were and have never smoked. I would really be interested if anyone else is like me?! Thanks!
Cindy
I was convinced I had just about every serious ailment under the sun for many years. I eventually learned it has little to do with the symptoms and everything to do with the way I was thinking about the symptoms. CBT has since changed my life. It's all about using the tools to learn to think more clearly and accurately about things and once you do your depression will miraculously begin to lift before your eyes. My favorite starter book on CBT is "Been There, Done That? Do This! by Sam Obitz. Many universities offer cbt programs for little or no charge.Take care.

Billy

Closed Thread