It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2004, 07:25 PM   #1

sad jane HB User
Hypochondriasis anyone?

First off, Hi everyone! I'm new to this board...

Lately I've been having this problem. I've always been prone to anxiety and depression, and suffered from panic attacks and mild obsessions in the past. But lately things are getting worse again. It all started last month when I noticed that if I press on a certain spot on my left foot I get a tingly "pins and needles" sensation that runs up the length of the side of my foot. I'm sure this could be caused by bruising it but I don't see any bruises on the outside. My aunt suffers from MS and because MS has a hereditary factor it has always terrified me. I know that numbness or "pins and needles" sensations are signs of MS. So, I find myself obsessing about every possible MS symptom that I may have... like the clouded thinking, poor memory and urinary problems... If I look at each symptom independently they can be rationalized... For instance the clouded thinking and poor memory could be caused by my anxiety, and I've always had urinary problems, even as a kid. But I don't remember ever hurting my foot?!? Then I had this dream last night that I went to the doctor and sure enough it was true, I had MS. To make matters horribly worse, I was watching Crossing Over with John Edwards and this person was talking about how they had this dream that the had a thyroid disorder so on a whim they went and got it checked out. Sure enough, they did have a thyroid disorder. They went on to talk about how dreams are really our subconscious telling us things we need to know about ourselves. Now I am totally FREAKED! Could all of this really be a coincidence? I find myself seeing signs and symptoms at every corner. Going to the doctor wouldn't help because MS isn't something that can be easily diagnosed... It usually gets diagnosed after having progressively worse symptoms over a period of years. I feel that I am losing my mind! Anyone with experience with this sort of thing?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2004, 07:58 PM   #2
Inactive

fuelie_9 HB User
Re: Hypochondriasis anyone?

absolutely!!!
thats just how i feel
just lately i have been getting anxiety and panic attacks back. and believe that i might have some sort of OCD unsure what though

you are right about the dreams though. but ive heard that dreams are from our subconsious like you said. but it is what you have been thinking about that day
i constantly have dreams about things that i have stressed over durning the day, and/ or things that i want to happen in my life.

you may need to talk to a therapist about both the dreams and the anxiety. it can always help

mel

Old 07-14-2004, 09:54 PM   #3

Jennifer272 HB User
Re: Hypochondriasis anyone?

Hey, MY mother also has ms. for one thing, how old are you? most people and I mean almost everyone with ms is diagnosed between the ages of their late twentys and mid thirtys. I went to my psychiatrist and told him I had numbness in my foot and he told me it was most likely that I was low in B-12 or that my thyroid levels were low. There are fifty million reasons for having numbness. I am sure it is the ocd. MS is very, very, rarely hereditary. Even if you did have it, they now have meds that stop its progression in its tracks. My mom has been diagnosed for 16 years and you would never know she had MS. And about the dreams, honey, people dream about what is on their subconscience. You are obsessing about ms, so of course you will dream about it. Just like when I see a snake, I dream about snakes. Or if I do something rude to someone, I dream that I am this really evil person. I am sure you are fine. I say this from experience. I use to go to the gyno several times a month because I was SO sure that I had STD symptoms. Even an ingrown hair looked like herpes to me. The doctors told me not to come back unless I had a huge gross pussing wound because they said it was my ocd. It is very easy to convince yourself of just about anything with ocd. you obsess and look for signs and convince yourself that it is true. That is why we are all here on this board. I hope this helps you some what!

Closed Thread