It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2004, 01:05 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
border line hypochondriac???

I am sure many of you have seen my name the past couple of days. I am new here and love these boards. I know I have posted many many different problems I have, but I don't want anyone to think I am a hypochondriac. Many of these "problems" aren't really an issue, more of questioning (since it costs me 15 bucks to chat with my doc each time). But, I welcome any advice given and just want to say this site is a saving grace. I feel welcome here and hope even I may be able to help some of you
Mel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2004, 04:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User
Re: border line hypochondriac???

Welcome Mel. I'm a newbie too and I love it here as well. It's the best site I've found so far regarding nice people. They have a good heart and really care about others.
You do too. Just because we're interested in health issues doesn't mean we're hypochoncriacs. Some people who are labeled as "hypo"s are just people who are more intune or hypersensitive to their bodies. They can feel any little change go on in their bodies and then they get worried. Maybe because they've been reading too much medical jargon.
Did you know that medical students when they're studying get the symtoms of the illnesses they are studying and that it's not uncommon for this to happen?
I read this somewhere.
So I try to be careful and not get too deep into what Iread because it's happened to me too.
best regards,
Lintek

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2004, 06:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

lintek, thanks. Yes you are right about MD students, happens to us nursing majors too I am not really a "hypo" but I am in tune with my body and I notice little things. Plus, I had a doc misdiagnose me with a back injury for two years so that doesn't help, and my mom told me I was being silly for being worried about being sick for 12 hours one day (she is an RN) and four hours after i called her I was in the ER with emergency sx to have my appendix removed, so my senses are a little heightened. But, again thank you, and we shall meet again.

Old 09-25-2004, 11:25 AM   #4

tgum HB User

Hi Mel.I am new to all of this to,and loving it.I have had so many medical problems over the last few years that it is nice to be able to share any advice that i feel confident enough to give.Hope that we can all keep it up and help those that we can.

Old 09-25-2004, 05:13 PM   #5
(female)

roro HB User

Hi. I have been labelled a hypochondriac by my family, some friends, and even some doctors. I dont believe it for one minute. i just think there are a lot of conditions that the doctors have not discovered yet. medicine has advanced considerably over the last 200 years, but we still dont know everything. and there are new diseases cropping up every day, so its very naive to think that the doctors know everything. even if you have something that has been discovered, it still doesnt mean that the doctors are going to find it in time to save your life. I know many people who have died as a result of the doctors not properly diagnosing them in time to get treatment. so maybe that makes me a little more scared about it than others.
calling me a hypochondriac is just absurd. i would much rather be healthy. and when I am feeling good, I live my life and dont worry about my health. but when my disease flares up, then I get worried.

Old 09-27-2004, 04:52 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Hi Mel.Don't worry, wasn't even thinkin that.some of us,unfortunetly have many more health problems than other "normal" people.I wish i WAS healthy and didn't have to be here but i am glad that the HBs are availiable as I have learned alot from the other folks that post here.It is also really nice to know that i am not alone.Have a great day Mel.Marcia

Old 09-27-2004, 05:51 AM   #7
(female)

gemmy200 HB User

Hi Mel. I am a true hypochondriac. It all happened two years ago when my dad died of cancer. I guess before that happened I never really gave terminal illness a thought. My case is so bad that I am deciding whether to go see a psych. Every ache, every pain is automatically cancer, and until symptoms clear themselves up i am depressed and worthless. I worry more about my husband and kids getting sick, I honestly dont think I could deal with that. My 12 y/o has had a few swollen glands from time to time this yr. and every-time he tells me I panic and my blood runs cold, but a few days later its gone. I am different than most hypochondriacs because I stay away from the Dr. unless I get so depressed and worried that I need to go and just find out whats going on so I can get on with my life. This affects my whole family. My husband will come in from work, and if I am laying on the couch and the house is a mess he automatically knows, and asks me "what are you dying of now?" I think its frustrating to them, but I feel like they dont understand how "real" it is for me at the time. Sometimes I pray to God to take this condition from me because I cant function as a normal human being. At any rate, even though I seem to have it much worse that you, I see where you are coming from. Best wishes....T.

Closed Thread