It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2004, 12:40 PM   #1

Hailey_19 HB User
Why fibro has made me a hypochondriac.

Maybe I'm alone here...but quite often, my anxiety takes over, and my fibro symptoms turn into deadly diseases. I suppose not having had fibro for very long, about years now, leaves room for me to still freak out, and wonder about other illnesses. Sometimes, I feel so helpless, like I am dying, and something mysterious and unknown is slowly killing me. Everyone will re-assure me, its just fibro. I then begin to think about, if everything is attributed to fibro, perhaps, something serious will/has happened, and I ignore it, b/c my mind just says, oh its fibro. The notion that I can somehow ignore serious health problems b/c of fibro, tends to really scare me. It scares me to the point of belief that I have fatal illnesses. Of course, not having a rheumy that even tries to treat me(men:|), and not being on ANY drugs whatsoever, nor am I going to therapy, probably doesnt help. New symptoms, tend to send me for a loop. I'm addicted to finding out what is wrong. Yet, there is seemingly nothing wrong, aside from fms. I'm young, I want to feel young. I feel old, I feel 80 years old. I dont know where to start anymore. I feel like there are so many things to address, and I dont know which problems I should address first. I'm just really tired of thinking that I'm dying. I guess I dont really have a point, just thought Id vent?

Old 08-17-2004, 02:00 PM   #2
(female)

aaronon HB User
Re: Why fibro has made me a hypochondriac.

Hailey,

Fibro will do that to you. You need to take a deep breath, step back for just a little while, and not think of anything, really. I know, easier said than done. Venting will help you, you need someone to be able to talk to, and support you. Friends, true friends love you no matter what, and will stick by you through thick and thin.

Setting your priorities, in regards to your illness, your life..is something you need to take the time and work on. Getting a good doctor, do internet searches, etc... to find one in your area, is a great way to get started controlling this monster. Work on the most serious illness first, and then work backwards. It's not the best quality of life that we fibro sufferers live, but, it helps us keep up with all the things that are going on at once. Creating a diary of every day of your life, is a good idea also. Have you heard of Devin Starlynyl? She has a website that is full of info for us Fibromites. Look her up....she also has a few books out there too, for more info.

Come to this website and vent all you want. Remember to breathe!!!!

Gina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2004, 02:29 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

ohio hunter HB User

i want you to look into Lyme disease. it gets missed more than 10 times as many as what gets properly dx. go to an expert!!! let us know where you are from and someone may have a referal. i know of sevelal in different parts of the usa. let me know if you want more info

Old 08-17-2004, 02:44 PM   #4

Icefire HB User

Hailey,

I feel for you but I know what you're going through. I am one of those people that catastophes everything. It comes from having so much chaos in my life all of the time. The funny thing is that this didn't even start until I was 32 and everything calmed down, I did a sigh of relief and my body finally broke down. I've had this now for 8 years and I'm still not "used to it". It seems that a lot of people with a Type A personality get Fibro,( I read that somewhere and it makes sense), and they are the people that have the hardest time dealing with not being "in control".

Try to find something, anything that will take your mind off of it, if only for a short time of day. Have a plan for when things get bad, that will calm you down. No matter how hard it is,and even if you have to write it down and put it on your mirror, replace the bad thoughts with not so bad thoughts. Instead of, I'm going to die from this, say to yourself, Ok this is a bad feeling but I've survived it before, and I'll be fine this time too.

I'm so silly I've even driven to the ER and sat in the parking lot until I've calmed down. Since fibro is different for everyone, you have to find out what works for you, and no matter how silly it seems, just do it if it makes you feel better.

Good Luck and feel better hon,

Chris

Old 08-17-2004, 09:35 PM   #5

Hailey_19 HB User

Thank you for your replies I know tons about my condition, it just seems to get overloaded in my mind sometimes. I had a hard time finishing up high school ( I started getting really sick my senior year in high school) tho, I did finish, even with a 4.0, I just seem to have lost the confidence to go on with my life. I dont feel like the capable person I was before. I do believe that it true that type A people get fibro. I was your prime example of an over achieving control freak. Not having control of this, seems to leave me very beside myself. I just recently moved away from my family, and most of my friends, to seek refuge in a place I can get healthy. I suppose it all just takes time. I've just never been very patient with these types of things. Having been healthy most of my life, I expect things to go away like a bad cold. Thank you again, for reading what Ive had to say, and for your input, it really does help more than yall probably know. It's nice to have support, from someone, anyone.

Old 08-18-2004, 03:34 AM   #6
Inactive

taurus3 HB User

Hi Hailey,

Being so young and having a serious, yet not fatal, condition is bound to make you a little paranoid or hypchondriac like. Now the actual definition of a hypochondriac is this...

The persistent conviction that one is or is likely to become ill, often involving symptoms when illness is neither present nor likely, and persisting despite reassurance and medical evidence to the contrary. Also called hypochondriasis.

Now in your case illness is present and likely. So you are not a hypochondriac. Your just getting adjusted to a very wierd disease plus you have all the drama of moving away from home, graduating from school and just being your age. Everything is more dramatic when you're 19 than it is when you're 39.

When I first got fibro in my early 20's and had a bout of the tinnitis and inner ear problem I was sure I had a brain tumor and was gonna die. Now I would just go "oh well" I'm dizzy today and need to lie down and take some dramamine. So don't be so hard on yourself.

It's hard to accept especially when you've been healthy most of your life that all these crazy things could be happening for no critical reason. I'm sure people who develop diabetes or heart disease or cancer all of the sudden worry about every little ache and pain too at first.

Hope you get to feeling better and vent all you want, that's what we're here for.

Much Love - Andy

Old 08-18-2004, 10:10 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User

Hailey I read your post and can share just about everything you said word for word. Life isn't fair, is it? I hope you aren't on the internet, looking up every symptom which may be indicative of various diseases? I tend to do that since I still haven't been diagnosed yet and want answers now, because I too feel something is terribly wrong and I'm dying!. The harder I look, the more afraid and sicker I get, so I've decided to leave it alone and let the doctor figure it out. Problem is, that is easier said then done. The internet is a good research tool if you already know what you're dealing with, but it can drive you absolutely batty if you're trying to self diagnose yourself. My heart goes out to you and being in the same place atleast with symptoms, all I can do for you is give you a big hug (((( hug )))) and advise you to get reassurance that you don't have anything else going on. Sometimes it means going through tests to rule out other symptoms which you feel troubled about. Good luck to you.

Old 08-28-2004, 08:24 AM   #8
Inactive

italys_finest18 HB User

Haily,
In a way I would like to tell you I think your right! I was diagnosed with Chronic fatigue syndrom. My doctors told me there was nothing to do for it. But A really good doctor told me that in the medical field they call Chronic fatigue syndrom and Fybromyliga a garbage can diagnoses! Chronic fatigue and fybro and very similar. Its basically like this your body is giving you warning signs and LISTEN TO THEM!!!!

I was told I had chronic fatigue, depression, and post partom depression from my pregnancy. I was told that by about 4 doctors. Now I am only 20. My family labled me as a hypochondriac and a Drama Queen. Because I never settled for my diagnoses and I keep searching and searching!!! Now I went to a Lyme disease speacilst and I came up positive for Lyme disease and bartenella. The thing about that is these paraisites it carries called spirochete eats the brain and does serious stuff to your body.

Now can you imagen if I listen to people and I got discouraged when I KNEW my body was throwing off warning signs!!!!!

Just to let you know incase you took a test for lyme or not. You kinda just can't take the normal hospital or doctors office Lyme disease test. If you take the normal test no matter if you have FULL BLOWN LYME, you still have a 70% chance of having it come back negative!!! You HAVE to find a doctor that understands lyme and will order a test called the WESTERN BLOT test along with extensive lyme test.

moral of this post LISTEN TO YOUR BODY!!!! IT"S YOURS NOT ANYONE ELESES!!!!

Old 08-28-2004, 09:11 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lyme disease? that's interesting. Do you live in an area that harbours ticks? I know they did various tests on me, but I don't know if the test for Lyme disease was included. I do live in a city and I'm not exposed to ticks, so that's probably not my problem. I went to a rheumatologist and he speculates I have a sleeping adrenal gland and wants me on prednisone. I was taking prednisone for a chronic condition for years, and was weaned off, so it's possible my body is not producing it's own cortisone. I'm still looking for answers. I'm glad that you finally found the answer to your symptoms.

Old 08-28-2004, 09:31 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio hunter
i want you to look into Lyme disease. it gets missed more than 10 times as many as what gets properly dx. go to an expert!!! let us know where you are from and someone may have a referal. i know of sevelal in different parts of the usa. let me know if you want more info
If you had Lymes disease, wouldn't you have signs such as high fever and feeling seriously ill other than anxiety illness and aches and pains?

Andrea

Old 08-28-2004, 09:33 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hailey_19
Maybe I'm alone here...but quite often, my anxiety takes over, and my fibro symptoms turn into deadly diseases. I suppose not having had fibro for very long, about years now, leaves room for me to still freak out, and wonder about other illnesses. Sometimes, I feel so helpless, like I am dying, and something mysterious and unknown is slowly killing me. Everyone will re-assure me, its just fibro. I then begin to think about, if everything is attributed to fibro, perhaps, something serious will/has happened, and I ignore it, b/c my mind just says, oh its fibro. The notion that I can somehow ignore serious health problems b/c of fibro, tends to really scare me. It scares me to the point of belief that I have fatal illnesses. Of course, not having a rheumy that even tries to treat me(men:|), and not being on ANY drugs whatsoever, nor am I going to therapy, probably doesnt help. New symptoms, tend to send me for a loop. I'm addicted to finding out what is wrong. Yet, there is seemingly nothing wrong, aside from fms. I'm young, I want to feel young. I feel old, I feel 80 years old. I dont know where to start anymore. I feel like there are so many things to address, and I dont know which problems I should address first. I'm just really tired of thinking that I'm dying. I guess I dont really have a point, just thought Id vent?

I feel like you, really I do and I'm 45. I had a serious car accident two years ago that just changed my life both mentally and physically. I haven't been diagnosed with Fibro, but sure feel like Ihave it, read alot about it and I have clients who have it. I'm not a hypochondriac, but sometimes you feel the doctors have missed something, as I've never been checked out for Fibro. When I was in physical therapy, it was mentioned that I may possibly have Fibro but still, gone to so many neurologists and no one ever checks me out for Fibro. I do have PTSD from the accident, lovely and I just don't know anymore.

Andrea

Old 08-28-2004, 12:12 PM   #12

orchidbeauty78 HB User

Hailey,

I too, am young and have to say this is very hard to adjust too. Whatever you do, don't spend countless hours on the internet trying to self-dianose yourself. I diagnosed myself with Multiple Sclerosis, Lupus, Als, and it really made my condition worse and the pain. The trick is to find a good Rheumy and also get a second opionon once you get your diagnoses. I did this and feel a little more assured that I have Fibro now. Along with all of the tests they will put you through, too. I have had 3 lyme tests, 3 thyroid, RA, ANA, SED Rate tests done this year along with CBC's. You may want to have these tests done if you haven't had them already to offer yourself further assurance that nothing is wrong. If you have really bad pain, stretching, and light exercise will help, take hot baths at night and schedule some time for yourself to relax each day. Us Fibromites need more relax time than others, so be leniant with yourself. Also, Motrin works good on the pain too if you don't have medicine from the doctor. I can only offer you advise on how to make things feel better, since I am still working on that issue myself. I sympathize with what you are going thru and made a promise to myself to help others with this darn disease if i found things that worked. Please just know that we are all here for you and have been through this...I hope you feel better.....Hugs,

Jenn

Old 08-29-2004, 03:14 PM   #13
Inactive

italys_finest18 HB User

Dorri,
You said you live in a city so you don't have any ticks. The funny thing is I am 20 but the ticks or tick that I was bitten by would be between me being 9 months old and 7 years old. The most important thing for you to know is you CAN'T take the normal hosptal or doctors Lyme disease test. You HAVE to and I stress have to go to a doctor that understands lyme disease is serious and can't be cured with just 4 weeks of anti-biotics and You NEED a test called Weastern Blot!!! SSSSOOOO MANY people who have even the Lyme disease rash come up negative on those lousy hospital test!!!! Thats why the doctors covor their behinds and say if you have a rash then no need for the test. but I never had a rash only 50% actually do. The other thing is predizone is extreamly bad for people who have Lyme disease! The other scary thing is Lyme disease has been found in TICKS, MISQUITOS, FLEAS and BLOOD.

Old 08-29-2004, 05:59 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Now that is something I'm hearing for the first time. If you were bitten way back, then it had to be dormant in your system this whole time, wating for a weakend immune system to activate it. Makes a lot of sense. What surprises me, is that mosquitos can carry lyme disease?? We have tons of mosquitos, and I've been bitten by plenty of them. With mosquitos, we have to watch for West Nile Virus. I would have thought that the hospitals check for that, when they take your blood. What happens to all those who do carry Lyme disease and are left undiagnosed?

Last edited by dorri; 08-29-2004 at 06:33 PM.

Old 08-29-2004, 09:25 PM   #15
Inactive

italys_finest18 HB User

Dorri,
There are some good books to read "LAB 257" There are doctors for Lyme and agenst Lyme. some doctors think it can be cured easily some think it takes longer and determination. Misquitos carry many diseases and when somebody goes to the hospital with main sypmtoms fatigue and pain in there body the hospitals don't test you for "ALL" those diseases that misquitos carry. My lyme disease support group has a law suit agenst the state of Connecticut for alot of the Lyme secrets. Hopitals lyme disease test give you a 70% chance of coming up negative even if you have had it for years and have a rash. They are finding cases where lyme has been trasmitted sexually and blood trasfusions. There are documented cases of a whole house hold having it. It sounds sooo crazy. I know it does. I even got a negative lyme test until I had to order that western blot all the way in califonia and that test is the most accrate test and its only 60% accurate. If you want to know my whole story you can read "A nightmare, nope just my life" It's on the Lyme disease boards. When I heard all this crazy stuff about lyme I almost didn't believe it until I saw the truth with myself and people I have met. Theres a woman in the support group whos blind and in a wheal chair from it. Infact every doctor I went to when I was diagnosed with CFS told me there was no need for a lyme test and erdged me not to. But....well. You can search on the internet "secrets doctors keep about lyme" "truth about LYme disease" its never completly curable because you can relasp at any periode I guess. Look for that book Lab 257 its about the experiments at plum island.

Closed Thread