HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Hypochondria (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/hypochondria/)
-   -   hypochondriac at 18? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/hypochondria/219752-hypochondriac-18-a.html)

life for rent 10-26-2004 06:38 PM

hypochondriac at 18?

Hi, Im 18 years old and for years I've been worrying needlessly and constantly about every little symptom I may get...

I dont know how or when it started, but every time I get a headache I worry it's a tumour, I'm constantly checking my moles and convincing myself theyre getting bigger, Im sitting here at 2.30 am worrying because I found a red lump on my breast (which Im getting checked out tomorrow) and...I dunno, I'm just worried about how much I worry, if that makes sense!!

Seriously I dont know how this started but its very real, even though Im only 18...ive had a tough year I suppose, with 3 people in my family dying, coming to Uni, moving from home...and Ive had trouble sleeping anyway for a while but as I say I've had this "hypochondria" for years...

Can anyone else relate? Even just knowing someone else understood or whatever, would really help set my mind at rest...

stacey01 10-26-2004 07:44 PM

Re: hypochondriac at 18?

honey i am 21 and i am and have been the SAME exact way you are for about a couple years now, but it has been REALLY bad in the past year or so.... every little thing i can get my hands or eyes on i worry about... infact, i am going to the dermatologist next week to have some moles checked haha ... its not funny but I know EXXACCCTLY what you are going through... i have had a few panic attacks because i have gotten different cancers in my head and worry myself sick about them.... people say i should go get put on some anxiety meds but i just never seem to take that extra step to go get them ... i know that mine probably stems from the fact that my #1 fear is death and if i have something wrong with me that is serious, it might lead to death... what doesnt help at all is that i know WAY too much for my own good when it comes to medical topics...you just have to keep reminding yourself that you ARE a constant worrier and you know that and most times the symptoms you worry about usually disappear and you move on to another thing... so you know yourself that this worrying isnt too credible and to wait these things out and THEN go see a doc :) But i feel for you, i am without a doubt the EXACT same way... it drains you emotionally and physically to worry and yes ill probably end up eventually going to get some anxiety meds to help me because worrying all the time takes an IMMENSE toll on ur body and will influence disease to start in the long run ... try and keep it together and relax!! :) good luck...

life for rent 10-27-2004 04:04 PM

thank you for replying :) its such a relief to know im not alone...people sort of laugh and just tell me not to worry about things, but as im sure you know, its easier said than done!! and of course it doesnt help that i have access to the internet...the amount of times ive looked up symptoms and convinced myself i have diseases...! i actually read a few posts on this forum last night and almost cried because i realised for the first time that i'm not alone...which is a relief :) but thanks again for replying and good luck to you too.

cmsaint 10-27-2004 04:28 PM

Im 28 and have it as well :rolleyes:! I think I have a servere case cause no kidding I worry about my health 24/7 and am determined I have several servere problems and even after I get checked out at the Dr. I still dont believe him!

twanger 10-28-2004 07:43 AM

You are not alone. I am like you. Worry not only about myself but also about my family. I drive them crazy. This goes on 24/7. I think that the media has something to do with what we go through. If a celebrity has a disease or some research comes out, the media pounds it into the ground until I feel that there is no hope for me to live a long life with all of these horrible things out there.

sweet_chic 11-05-2004 11:10 AM

Trust me lifeforrent...you are NOT alone!

I'm 23 years old, and I suffer from a mild case of hypochondria myself. I think I've always had it. My mom told me that even at a young age I was always "diagnosing myself" by reading health books and then running and telling her that I had the "symptoms" of [insert disease/disorder name here]. Through the years as I've gotten older and have had countless tests and EKG's, blood work, etc done, I've found that maybe the symptoms are just a figment of my mind's active imagination. I'm not saying that I/we don't actually HAVE the symptoms we suffer from, but I think that your brain can really do a number on you. You'd be surprised how powerful your brain is in making you THINK you have some life-threatning illness.

I know so much about every kind of symptom and health related disorder (both physical and mental) because of reading so many health books and reading on the internet that I could probably open shop tomorrow and start my OWN private medical practice! LOL* It's really crazy! hahah... I probably have a PhD level knowledge on diseases. It's not really funny, but this just goes to show how much I have worried about my health in the past and how much I still worry about it now...albeit not as much. Even my own primary care doctor is starting to suspect something about me. The last time I visited him he said something like: "Miss ______, you are alright. Trust me, there is nothing seriously wrong with you." Sheesh...I don't want my own doctor thinking I'm a total nutcase! ha.

It's so funny too, because I'm a psychology major, so you would THINK I would know about this stuff and know that I don't really have some life-threatening illness. Even my family just rolls their eyes at me if I'm sick. Which is sad because now days I get the feeling that my family doesn't really believe it when I'm sick. I look at my mom and I just see the disbelief in her eyes. I can tell because if my younger sister is sick, my mom will try to help her get better and will show genuine concern and worry that she's not feeling well. But if I'M sick, she'll just look at me strangely and almost brush it off with a shrug. Sometimes she just laughs and says: "Well honey, when are you NOT sick?" I think they're getting tired of it. On top of this, I also suffer from IBS and mild anxiety, so that doesn't help. :-/

lasalla22 11-10-2004 03:42 PM

[QUOTE=life for rent]thank you for replying :) its such a relief to know im not alone...people sort of laugh and just tell me not to worry about things, but as im sure you know, its easier said than done!! and of course it doesnt help that i have access to the internet...the amount of times ive looked up symptoms and convinced myself i have diseases...! i actually read a few posts on this forum last night and almost cried because i realised for the first time that i'm not alone...which is a relief :) but thanks again for replying and good luck to you too.[/QUOTE]

I seriously am taking a step back here, because EVERYTHING you said I do!! I look things up online and when I see that I have symptoms of something I just cry and get so scared that I have cancer or something horrible. Like yesterday I found a bump on my leg, and I rushed to go online and look up what it was. I thought I had a tumor! I always do this and I am 19 so it is common for us I guess. I am not on meds and I wish I were, I wonder if these things would go away with medication. I also worry that someone will break in my house and kill me, or something bad will happen like I will get some kind of disease. It is all the anxiety.

top gun 11-10-2004 06:27 PM

I have been dealing with this since i was 16......I cant give you any advice as i deal with it still every day and i am 33 now.....