It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2005, 11:58 AM   #1

Bananafish HB User
Now I do think I'm a hypochondriac, but...

I've been starting to wonder if certain behaviors of mine are actually getting in the way of my life. I'm not sure if it's OCD, though. What do you guys think?

One example is when I'm reading, there are certain sentences that I have to read over a certain number of times. It's not that I don't understand what I'm reading--I just feel like I have to read it over a few times before I can go on. I never thought much about it but it's kind of weird, kind of scary, because why would I need to do that? There's no reason. It's just something I feel, in my head, or my gut, or something.

Another thing that I do is, when I'm on a computer and I check my e-mail, I have to sign out of my mail and then go back to the homepage even though I know that closing the browser will sign me off. For some reason I just get so worried that people will get into my mail. Even at home. I do the same thing with livejournal, etc. And sometimes, when I'm about to get off a computer, I'll even start up the browser again and go to yahoo or wherever, just to make sure I'm not still signed in.

Also, several times while I'm on a computer, and always right before I get off, I'll do "ctrl v" just to make sure I don't have anything copied. When I'm online I'm constantly highlighting a blank space and copying it, just to erase any words I might have previously copied. Sometimes I do that a few times in a row... but not because I'm not sure I don't have anything copied, but just... because. It's just that feeling again.

There's some other things too, but I thought that those specific behaviors were kind of strange. Could stuff like that point toward OCD? Or am I just worrying about nothing (like I always do)?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2005, 12:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kitkat77 HB User
Re: Now I do think I'm a hypochondriac, but...

I have OCD and do a few of the things you mentioned -- re-reading sentences and returning to homepage on my computer to "make sure". I once became so obsessed that I started "cleaning" my computer -- deleting all sorts of files that I thought might make my comp work faster so that I could get back to the homepage and then log off quicker. I was also worried that someone might be able to hack into my stuff somehow. I ended up deleting Windows and had to pay someone over $200 to come fix it! I still routinely "clean", but I'm more careful now. I guess bottom line is if your rituals are affecting your life in any way that disturbs you, it's OCD.

Closed Thread