It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2005, 02:20 PM   #1
(female)

ngolden HB User
Really bad case of hypochondriasis (really long I'm sorry- REALLY NEED HELP)

Since I stopped taking birth control pills I have had crazy fears and obsessions about my menstrual cycle. I didn't have a period for 6 months after stopping them but before I could have another one I got pregnant with my son. During that 6 months I saw 3 doctors and spent all of my time on the internet looking up what it could be. No matter how many doctors told me that there was nothing wrong with me and that was normal I didn't believe them. I got hung up thinking I had PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome). I had every test run which showed I didn't have it but didn't believe them. The strange thing is, I really don't have symptoms of this disease (excess body hair, weight problems, acne, infertility,etc). However, I kept inspecting my body every day and looking online all the time for symptoms of this disease.

During my pregnancy things were ok for a while. Now my son is 3 months old and I just stopped breastfeeding him 6 weeks ago. My periods are messed up again (now I seem to have them but very irregularly). I am convinced I have this disease AGAIN!! I'm so afraid of it I spend hours and hours online looking things up. Every free moment I have to myself goes to looking up the symptoms of PCOS or inspecting my body (sometimes for several hours) for symptoms. It is so bad that I keep taking ovulation predictors EVERYDAY when I don't want to become pregnant just to see if my hormone levels are normal ( I have spent SO MUCH money on these test its ridiculous).

Every night, I have nightmares that I suddenly discover that I have new symptoms of PCOS or that someone tells me I have it, etc. It is the first thing I think about when I wake up and the last thing I think about before bed.

This paranoia is putting a lot of strain on my marriage. I am driving my husband crazy. He just doesn't want to hear about it anymore. I feel like I am not being a good mother to my son. I just feel horrible and wish I could do something about it. I took zoloft for a while but that didn't help much. I saw a psychologist for a while as well but again, it didn't help. This is getting really bad and I really need to do something about it. Thanks for listening.

BTW I have had paranoia about other ilnesses before. I ran to get tested for HIV, diabetes, breast cancer, you name it. This is by far the worst and longest flare up I have had.

Last edited by ngolden; 01-12-2005 at 02:35 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2005, 07:02 PM   #2
(male)

tony55 HB User
Re: Really bad case of hypochondriasis (really long I'm sorry- REALLY NEED HELP)

Please read fm5's reply on the posting titled "disturbing thoughts.. normal?". He mentions a book that may help you. There are many medications available; another may work for you. Also, make sure your therapist has treated other OCD patients and has knowledge and experience applying exposure and response therapy (ERP).

Old 01-13-2005, 04:41 PM   #3
Veteran

coloradogirl1 HB User
Re: Really bad case of hypochondriasis (really long I'm sorry- REALLY NEED HELP)

I have thought I had several different diseases and syndromes before, including PCOS, and I always actually do have symptoms. The symptoms may be psychosomatic, but feel or look real to me. When I thought that I had PCOS, I actually got acne and gained weight. I made my gyn do an ultrasound and he saw nothing. I was convinced that he made a mistake or that the cysts were too small for him to see. Just to reassure you, PCOS is a large category and so difficult to diagnose. You don't even have to have ovarian cysts to call yourself PCOS. So, even if you did have it, there is little you can do about it. They have medications that somewhat treat the bothersome symptoms like weight gain, acne and hirsutism but they don't work that well and you don't have bothersome symptoms anyway. Try and forget the PCOS because there is really nothing to be gained by being reassured that you have it. I can relate though - it is driving me BONKERS, I always have something wrong, and usually something that there is no cure for. If I told you about my latest obsession, you'd think I was really off the wall. I may post about it, I don't know yet, it is REALLY embarrassing.

Relax and take care of yourself. Try to see a good therapist (despite your lack of success with them in the past) because when your obsession w/; PCOS is over, if you are anything like me, it'll be something else.

Closed Thread