It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2005, 06:43 AM   #1
(female)

Rain820 HB User
Hypochondria

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this, but it seems to fit.

I've written about a few medical concerns on the boards the last few months. So far, the issues I have written about have all had positive outcomes for me, thank God. It all started with alleries/asthma, GERD and I'm in the process of determining what meds work for me, etc. More recently, I've had some bladder & gyno issues, but they've all been checked out by CT Scan and everything was negative. Yet every time I feel a twinge or pang in my body, I start to drum up possible causes. Even though I got a clean bill of heatlh, I wonder, could something have happened SINCE then? Or maybe they just missed something?

Now today I get to work, and find a message from a coworker telling me he's not coming in because his daughter is in the hospital all weekend due to having a seizure. My curiousity gets going, I start to look up what it is exactly, and then I can relate it to things I may or may not have felt myself. Now, I know i'm not making up symptoms just as I hear them. Like in this case, for a few months now, every so often I'd get a random smell of something in my head and as soon as I notice it, it's gone. It freaked me out because I heard that's a symptom of having a stroke. But then I figured it's just my mind being overactive. So now this morning, this happens with my coworker and I start to think again, maybe it IS something real with me? Do I run off to yet another doctor to have it checked?

My main problem is I'm having a hard time determining when to run to the doctor, or when to just chill and realize that the body often has pangs and twitches and it's completely normal. I've had bloodwork done recently for a physical, it was fine. My blood pressure is always good, my blood sugar is always good too. In fact I checked it myself the other day because I was feeling lightheaded for a day or so, and I have diabetes in my family both paternally and maternally, so I'm always cautious of bloodsugar. But after having breakfast, it was only 79. I've had a CT Scan of the pelvis and abdomen to rule out any bladder or kidney infections or stones when I was having some discomfort and frequent urination for a few days. Urine culture showed so infection, so we did the CT scan to be sure...all was negative. Nothing. These are all good things, I realize that. So why can't I just be HAPPY and not take focus on every twinge in my body?

I'm too obsessed with something happening, I know this is not normal but I don't how to stop it.

Last edited by Rain820; 03-07-2005 at 06:46 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2005, 07:49 AM   #2
(female)

Verucah HB User
Re: Hypochondria

Rain820,
Wow. You've had almost every test imaginable. I bet your exhauseted by this. I can relate to how you feel. I would ask you since you have had a complete physical work-up. How is your mental state? Are you stressed out or have you had constant stress for a stretch of time? Are you feeling overwhelmed? Do you think that maybe this is the area that needs help and it is manifesting itself into physical symptoms?

I also recently have had a bunch of physical symptoms like you have described. I have taken a closer look at what has been bothering me and have come to the conclusion that I am really stressed. Kids, hubby, work especially. I am making the necessary adjustments in this aspect of my life and I'm noticing my physical symptoms are going away slowly but surely.

I think sometimes it is easier to deal with physical symptoms than with these tougher mental/emotional issues. I have recently started a journal to help me understand what I am feeling physically, eating, thoughts. I want to know what gets this pattern started and how to prevent it.

I don't know if this helps. But keep on trying. You'll find a solution...

Verucah

Old 03-07-2005, 09:25 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User

I have a theory about what you are saying and I have felt too that I do the same things. I think in most places in the world we all have too much time, too much money and not enough physical exersize. We also are overstimulated by television and newspapers and each other. I did an experiment on this and took a whole year off at my job and went camping. I mean really camping. It worked! The pains and aches I had were never more than sore muscles that kind of thing. I had to survive if you know what I mean. I walked about 10 miles every day just to find food and water. I never looked at a TV or read a newspaper. After the year I had to give it up and went back into society I learned a little from this experiment. You can have an information overload, get away on weekends and live with nature if you can. You don't always have to be comfortable and nature never lies you are cold when it is cold and wet when it rains its a fact and you learn to live with it. It keeps you from dwelling on the things you can do nothing about. If you would like to hear more, I will write back on this subject.....

Old 03-08-2005, 06:50 AM   #4
(female)

Rain820 HB User

Thanks for both your replies. To answer Verucah's stress question, yeah I believe I am stressed over all of this. But only because I can't find any solutions. Just when one symptom is relieved and given a clean bill of health, a new one pops up.

This is exactly the case right now. This morning I am suffering from on and off pain in my lower right pelvic area. I'm not ovulating because I just finished my period on Sunday (today is Tuesday). So the questions begin....is it my appendix? Cyst on my ovary? And if it's either of those, wouldn't the CT Scan I JUST had 2 weeks ago have shown that? That is my main concern right now. If they said my CT Scan was "all negative" I would assume that means they saw nothing inflamed, or wrong. Could something have happened between now and then, or did they miss something?

This pain I have now is real. Its not fabricated. I felt it a bit on Sunday night but figured it was just because I still had my period. I was fine all day Monday and now today, have the discomfort again. So do I run back to yet another doctor, or give it a few more days? Do I get a second opinion on the CT Scan, I really don't want to go through that again, unless of course I have to. And also, if I do see a doc again, which one? The gastro? The gyno?

As for Benzi's suggestion, that is really awesome and I wish I could do something of a similar nature. I'm not a nature person, but I would love to find SOME way to get away from the stresses of everyday life. I keep trying to explore meditation and relaxation sites and books, but I can't seem to get into that calming zone when I really need to. And now today, beause of this pain, I couldn't even read or enjoy my music this morning during my commute to work because the worry of "what could this be?" running through my mind.

Last edited by Rain820; 03-08-2005 at 06:53 AM.

Old 03-08-2005, 08:52 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User

You are wearing yourself out "looking" for ways to relax. I have done all that and tried just about everything and the only way any of it ever worked was to start removing unneeded stimulation first. There is only so much room in a persons life and you have to pick the most important things to let in your life. Life is like a glass of water if you want to put more in an already full glass you have to pour a little out. Every person has a limit and every person's limit is different. Some people thrive on stress (or seem to) Some do not. I do not and maybe you do not either. I am a person who has to have a balanced life. In the light of the fact that I am a cancer survivor and also the survivor of a very bad car accident that did permenant damage to my body, this balance is hard to find and even harder to keep. I hope you may find your balance someday. I have a suggestion: look up EMPATH on the internet, you may be an empath, if you are it would explain a lot.

Old 03-08-2005, 03:12 PM   #6
(female)

Porcelain_doll HB User

Hi Rain. I'm Sheri. It's a tough call when your body keeps telling you there's something wrong, but the doctors can't find anything. I say listen to your body, but keep your nose out of the medical books. I'm sure that if I looked up "Bubonic Plague" right now, I would discover that I have it! LOL.

In recent years I have had a mayomectome (uterin fibroids), and my gaul bladder removed (last year). Now I keep having chest pains! Of course, I think I have lung cancer, or heart disease, or liver disease, or pancreas problems. My doctor is humoring me by ordering a ton of tests, but she's pretty sure it's just heartburn.

I do find that when I take good care of my health by eating right & exercising, I don't worry as much. I like what Benzi said about his camping trip. If we stay buisy & fit, and we don't dwell on our worries ...they seem to go away.

Old 03-08-2005, 04:47 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User

I agree 100%.
Stay away from the medical books and don't look up every little twinge you feel on the internet.
Trust me, I was SURE I had every horrible illness known to man.
In my mind I've had several heart attacks, countless strokes and varies forms of Cancer....of course I didn't have any of those things.

The camping thing might be a good idea...I wouldn't have worked for me.
First of all I'm a girlie girl if there's no electric, no running water and no flush toliet I'm not going ...I don't do the woods

I probably shouldn't even say this because it might put ideas in someones head, but when I was having panic/anxiety problems if I had gone out in the woods I would have come home just KNOWING that I had contracted West Nile Virus or Lyme

I'm not making light of your ideas at all Benzi...in fact it's a very good idea...I was just such a freak about my health that I could have never done it.

Old 03-08-2005, 05:56 PM   #8
(female)

Porcelain_doll HB User

ROFL Graciecat! I have a camipng make-up mirror LOL And I only go camping where I can plug in my hair dryer, take a hot shower, and use my cell phone! But still the change of scenery gets me out of "my head." Oh yea, I have a king size air matress too. ...manicure kit, radio, coffee pot hehehe. I wanted to get a battery powered TV, but that would be silly!

Maybe I should write "A frufru girl's guide to camping." LOL!

Old 03-08-2005, 07:28 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User

Now see, I could go camping with you
But we'd have to take the TV!!!

I think you should write the book, I'm sure I'm not the only one who'll buy it

Old 03-09-2005, 03:41 AM   #10
(female)

Rain820 HB User

That's pretty funny! But hey, whatever works and floats your boat

My issues with camping aren't about being a frufru. I can deal without a hair dryer and such for a day or so. But I have a bad tummy (colitis mostly) so I wouldn't fancy the idea of being in the woods with just the woods to take care of any urgent bathroom needs that may arise.

I think that book would be a great idea though. Who ever thought a series of books "....For DUMMIES" would ever catch on?? You could start the first series of "...For FruFrus". I say go for it, haha!

Last edited by Rain820; 03-09-2005 at 03:43 AM.

Old 03-09-2005, 08:17 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User

You all are too funny, believe me you forget you have hair when there is no one else to look at it. I just braided mine and done. What was bad was carring 3 gallons of water weighing 8 lbs each in a back pack 5 miles just so I could wash it! By the way I did this when I was 43 years old, had already had cancer and RAI treatments. Oh yeah, I am a girl and I was sure to take my goodlooking boyfriend with me. That is what I did not want to do without. I did this twice, once for 7 months and once for a year. I am really a girly girl also and an interior decorator my trade. I had the best decorated campsites you would ever see. LOL The reason I stopped is my Mother was worried about me all the time. Those times though, are the only time in my life that I felt wonderful both mentally and physically. Even without any makeup! PS: You all are going to think I am crazy but I did end up getting Lyme disease. After those trips but I was living in a house with walls and stuff by that time

Last edited by Benzi; 03-09-2005 at 08:22 AM. Reason: add

Old 03-09-2005, 01:07 PM   #12
(female)

kinsey61 HB User

Rain820
I am brand new to this website.When I read your original post, I was stunned. I could have written it 4 years aIo. Even some of the same problems, pelvic pain, urinary problems, etc. I think these things become a cycle, pains starts...so anxiety starts...pain worsens from the anxiety..this creates more anxiety, which creates more pain... and on and on, you get the idea.
Long story short, I had a lot of tests, and the only ones that showed any problems were simply minor medical ones. Realizing that nothing was life threatening, the symptoms began to calm down. I changed my mindset, began taking an anti-deprressant, and dealt with the problems as what they were: annoying medical problems that needed to be monitored but weren't going to kill me. Life is precious and so many people have much worse fatal or disabling diseases. It doesn't always work, but now I try to look at and appreciate the parts of my health that are good.
-Oh and on the camping thing, I love nature and everything about it. However to enjoy it, we rent cabins. It's the best of both worlds, campfires, nature, sometimes a running stream close to the cabin, BUT... bathroom and shower or bath are a must! I'm not sure you could call it camping, and some of these cabins are a little pricey. We save up, and then go during the week for 2 or 3 days ( Rates are cheaper during the week.) The last place we went had it's own little lake with rowboats to use, and the cottage had a beautiful wrap-around porch with an outside jacuzzi. We even took our two dogs all 4 of us came back relaxed!

Last edited by kinsey61; 03-09-2005 at 06:36 PM.

Old 03-10-2005, 04:34 PM   #13
(male)

Skigomaniac HB User

Hi guys, Im new to this site and it might be a bad place for me to be hanging out, my sister recommended it to me to perhaps find a solution to some rash problems I've been having for the past few years.

Anyway, on a more related note. If someone tells you they are a hypochondriac you should take their word for it (god im so funny) But seriously I had a "bad trip" on hallucinagens a few years ago and have had anxiety problems ever since. I've worried about every little ache and pain there is, I looked up symptoms and self-diagnosed myself on plenty of diseases. All I truely have that I know about is a mysteryous rash (at least I can see it and others can too so I know its real) acid reflux and thats about it, ohh yeah receeding hairline DOH!.

After a few years of beating myself up, convincing myself I had AIDS and every other horrible disease under the sun, I've come to the relization of a few things. My fear of all these radical diseases, heart attacks all this crap was just more or less a fear of dying.

I am coping with this underlying cause "fear of dying" but putting myself in very dangerous situations and coping with it. my mom jokes around all the time because im so scared of all these little things making me sick (exposure to chemcials, exc) and the things I do for hobbies are ridiclous. I am currently training to compete in extreme skiing competitions. me and my friends are constantly skiing off big cliffs, straightlining entire mountain faces, sky diving, freeclimbing (rock climbing without ropes) I'm buying a Atv to start racing motorcross again.

By doing all these activites I'm burning out my fear of dying. Slowly over the last few years i've been doing more and more dangerous things and living life on the edge. I don't worry about every little ache and pain anymore because I have them all the time from doing these activities. I eat pretty well and excerise constantly, there is not much else you can do. Anything else that happens is out of your control so you shouldn't worry about it. I won't let this anxiety problem ruin my life or control it anymore. I am not scared of dying, I accept the fact that it will happen (probably soon from all the stupid things I do) and I live my life to the fullest everyday. It seems as if I used to spend all my time worrying about things that might be happening to me only to find out they are nothing in the end, all the time worrying I was truely miserable and scared. That is not living at all, you can waste your whole life worrying about dying or being sick when you are sitting on your deathbed you'll probably regret all the time you wasted "Dying" instead of spending that time living.

Sorry for rambling I just never talk to anyone about my problems so this was kinda fun.

Old 03-11-2005, 11:36 AM   #14
Senior Veteran

Benzi HB User

That's ok I like people who "ramble" I guess you are making the same point as I was about camping. Someone said Figure out what the worst thing that could happen and then make it happen and see if that helps well i think it would work unless dying is the worst that could happen.

Old 03-11-2005, 03:57 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Marirose HB User

Hi Benzi - I was really impressed with your posts! I am not a girlie girl at all - I am a tom boy - raised on a farm with only brothers, and now I have a gorgeous husband and sons, so there is no room for "fru fru" here. I have always found solace in nature, esp. camping. Even though I am not at a point in my life where I could do an extended trip like you did, I admire you for doing that & I thank you for reminding me that "listening" to one's body can get very off base with our modern western lifestyle. I have had times in my life when anxiety brings me to "listening" to every little ache and pain and imagining something horrible. Your posts have reinforced my plans to spend as much time camping as possible while the younguns are real young, and then continue to persuade my husband that we need to get out to a farm of our own! I know that living in the country and working outside again would do wonders for my anxiety. Thanks for the boost to get rolling on the plans! Marirose

Closed Thread