It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2005, 04:28 PM   #1

Mommy2oo6 HB User
Question Am I just a hypochondriac?

Ive always been the normal one in the family, but the last 3 years I feel like Ive started falling apart, and Im only 23! I have signs of Hypo-thyroidisim, but have been tested 3 times and they say Im in normal range. My mom was diagnose when she was 22 once she began gaining major weight after the birth of my sister in 1983. She's the one who encouraged me to be tested.

I am currently taking~
100 mg Zoloft per day for depression/social anxiety
100 mg Nitrofurantoin MONO/MAC (generic for Macrobid) for Trigonitis

Here are my Symptoms (I understand not all of these are hypo-thyroid symptoms)

Low Basal Body Temperature (Ive been charting, we're useing the FAM)
Losing my hair
Dry Skin (face dry too, but semi-oily T-Zone)
Stiffness and minor pain after long periods of sitting/laying. I saw my doctor and after a few x-rays, I was diagnosed with minor arthritis and scoliosis in my lower back.
FATIGUE
Depression
Low immune system
Impatient/irritable
Weight Gain/Over Weight
Light sensitivity
Poor mental function

I don't know what to do anymore, and am at the end of my rope. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I saw someone say that we should have our B12 checked, so I've got that on my list.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2005, 05:29 PM   #2

tracies HB User
Re: Am I just a hypochondriac?

I lived for years being told I was a hypochondriac (by my family) and "it's just stress" (by my doctor) even though I had real, physical symptoms. It took landing in the emergency room late one night with a heart rate of almost 200 for SOMEONE to take me seriously, it was on that night in the ER I finally learned I had thyroid disease. . .

Now, I don't say this to scare you - I just want you to know - I understand how you feel. And if you are having real, uncomfortable, physical symptoms then I think you deserve a solid workup. Have a full blood panel, a 24 hour urine test, and make sure the doctor gives you all your lab values, don't settle for just being told "you're normal" or the "normal" box being checked off on a lab report - get the numbers - you're entitled to them. You might be falling in the normal ranges but you might be high/normal - or low/normal - and that can make a big difference. . .

It is VERY true that stress and anxiety can make a person sick. However, I find that a great many doctors are quick to blame 'vague' symptoms like yours on stress. It's quite possible there's a real physical illness at work, which was my case. My dr. told me repeatedly to "go on vacation, you'll come back a new person" - all along my thyroid problem was worsening over the months.

Again, not to scare you but just to tell you I think you have real, VALID concerns for your health & you deserve to be taken seriously. Good luck!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2005, 07:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

While trying to get my own condition diagnosed, I read an article written by a doctor who admitted that it takes an average of 6 consultations to get thyroid disorders diagnosed. He recognizes how shameful that is for the profession.
One woman came here a while ago who had seen 36 MDs before finding one who diagnosed her.
My first doctor wanted to treat each of my symptoms without looking for a common cause of them, and actually refused my request to test for thyroid disease; the second one I saw diagnosed it, but didn't know how to treat my case; and the third one is the one who returned me to my former state of health.

So, don't give up!! Keep going to as many doctors as it takes, because you know in your heart you've probably inherited the family curse. As tracies said, levels merely within the "normal" range don't guarantee you have no problem. Low-normal levels cause trouble for more people than not.
Try to get more than your TSH tested. Push for free T4 and free T3 and thyroid antibodies as well. These are the real measures of thyroid health.
Remember.... don't give up!!!

Old 03-28-2005, 07:41 AM   #4
(female)

SangReal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2oo6
Ive always been the normal one in the family, but the last 3 years I feel like Ive started falling apart, and Im only 23! I have signs of Hypo-thyroidisim, but have been tested 3 times and they say Im in normal range.
What does "normal" mean? Do you have the numbers and ranges from your blood tests? That would help some of the more experienced people around here help you.

Quote:
My mom was diagnose when she was 22 once she began gaining major weight after the birth of my sister in 1983. She's the one who encouraged me to be tested.
She's right. Thyroid disorders are often genetic. And if you're trying to get pregnant (you didn't say whether the FAM was to cause or prevent pregnancy), thyroid function is important for the health of your baby after it's conceived.

Quote:
I am currently taking~
I don't know about trigonitis, but your depressive symptoms could be related to a myriad of other diseases, including (possibly) hypothyroidism.

Of all your symptoms, only your impatience and your sensitivity to light might not be explained by a diagnosis of hypothhyroidism. The rest of it seems dead on. I'd encourage you to push your doctor a little into further testing. It's not like he's afraid he won't get paid. This is what I don't understand about doctors. Why do they care what blood tests you want as long as they get paid?

Anyway, best of luck. As for me, I think it's much more likely that you're a hypothyroidiac, rather than a hypochondriac!

<3 Mary

Old 04-12-2005, 09:28 PM   #5

Mommy2oo6 HB User

Sorry it took me so long to reply, but I've been fighting with the doctors, and doing some major research for myself!

01/2004 TSH = 1.4
12/2004 TSH = 2.6
04/2005 TSH = 3.1
04/2005 still waiting on FREE T3, FREE T4, and both Antibody test...

PCP still thinks there is nothing wrong with me, so I had him refer me to an Endocrinologist. My appointment is May 2nd. Wish me luck!!!

Old 04-12-2005, 10:41 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

"This is what I don't understand about doctors. Why do they care what blood tests you want as long as they get paid?"

<3 Mary[/color][/font][/size][/QUOTE]

Because HMO's give doctors cash incentives to limit "unnecessary" (read expensive) lab testing.

Last edited by sneezydiva; 04-12-2005 at 10:42 PM.

Old 04-13-2005, 03:44 PM   #7

Mommy2oo6 HB User

My PCP has NEVER given me any problems with getting blood work done. THANK GOD! But he's driving me nuts not looking at the WHOLE picture. (symptoms/labs)

Old 04-13-2005, 07:33 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

shellshocked HB User

I did research on hypothyroid when I was first diagnosed. This was before the internet---I hung out at the universtiy library and read up about it there. Don't ask me why I did that---I had never felt the need to "research" any other medical problems I have ever had---but in the case of hypothyroidism, I am glad that I followed my gut reaction. I was diagnosed over 15 years ago---by an optometrist of all people. No one believed me about anything related to hypothyroidism until an article came out in the Reader's Digest sometime last year---suddenly they realized maybe I wasn't crazy.
Keep trying to do what is best for you. Good luck.
PS---If I didn't know what was going on I'd call you a hypochondriac too. It's easier that way and you still get paid.

Last edited by shellshocked; 04-13-2005 at 07:58 PM.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:45 AM   #9
(female)

kathyv HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2oo6 View Post
I’ve always been the “normal” one in the family, but the last 3 years I feel like I’ve started falling apart, and I’m only 23! I have signs of Hypo-thyroidisim, but have been tested 3 times and they say I’m in “normal” range. My mom was diagnose when she was 22 once she began gaining major weight after the birth of my sister in 1983. She's the one who encouraged me to be tested.

I am currently taking~

Here are my Symptoms (I understand not all of these are hypo-thyroid symptoms)

· Low Basal Body Temperature (I’ve been charting, we're useing the FAM)
· Losing my hair
· Dry Skin (face dry too, but semi-oily T-Zone)
· Stiffness and minor pain after long periods of sitting/laying. I saw my doctor and after a few x-rays, I was diagnosed with minor arthritis and scoliosis in my lower back.
· FATIGUE
· Depression
· Low immune system
· Impatient/irritable
· Weight Gain/Over Weight
· Light sensitivity
· Poor mental function

I don't know what to do anymore, and am at the end of my rope. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I saw someone say that we should have our B12 checked, so I've got that on my list.
I was having the same problems... I had a ct scan done on my thyroid and it showed a nodule, nothing to worry about but was give .25 mg of synthroid and now I am fine. Also, I have the same pain as you and it is Fibromyalgia...

Old 06-08-2008, 02:07 AM   #10
(female)

iluaav1 HB User
Unhappy Re: Am I just a hypochondriac?

Hi I really sympathise and I am actually a little relieved to read your post. I am 32 and have been suffering the exact same symptoms for the last four years. Last year I was diagnosed with hypothyroid and put on levythyroxine pills which have helped but I still feel horrible at times, and still suffer depression and a lot of fatigue. Just last week after a whole bunch of tests my urologist told me I also have trigonosis and he suggested an I get an operation to fix it. I also suffer with a lot of pain in my shoulders, neck and back and sometimes even my ribs and along my torso my sides cramp up. It sorta feels like what I have read about fibromyalgia but I am not sure. I feel like a big baby at times as I always seem to be sick. I was always a very healthy and energetic person. Sometimes it really gets me down and I also ask myself am I just a hypochondriac??? Reading your posts has made me realise I am not the only one with these sort of symptoms. The doctors are definitely not great at treating hypothyroidism and I think I am a long way from having the correct dosage etc. But I am a lot closer to solving this puzzle than where I was three years ago. I am determined to struggle on and I wont let these problems beat me. But it's really hard, my husband and I have been trying to conceive now for two years and I keep having early miscarriages. I know hypothyroidism can cause infertility so this gives me all the more reason to beat this thing!!!!

Closed Thread