It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2005, 03:49 PM   #1

worrywart0829 HB User
I am a hypochondriac

a complete, obsessive compulsive hypochondriac. There. . .I've said it outloud. What is the first step I can take in treating this? See my GP? I already have Xanax for anxiety but only take those as needed.

I think I am a hypochondriac b/c I obsess over every single symptom I get and am always certain I have cancer. I was always a worrier but it got worse when a friend died of cancer 2 years ago and then my dad got cancer 1.5 years ago. It's almost like a post-traumatic stress thing. It's making me insane and I feel like I am ruining my life b/c of it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2005, 04:13 PM   #2
(female)

Leaha HB User
Re: I am a hypochondriac

hi there, I suffer from the exact same thing, the only difference is that I haven't lost anyone to cancer. I might suggest that you see a psychiatrist or a councellor that deals with obsessions/ocd. For me the OCD comes out big time with this because I am obsessing over the symptom and then the endless searching the internet, books etc looking for the reasurrance that I don't have cancer. It is a terrible thing! I actually just came from the doctor and getting something checked out and we discussed that I might want to try medication again, I hate the thought of being on pills but I am going to try Celexa and see how it goes. Good luck to you in finding someone you can talk to about this and since you think it might be related to the loss of loved ones then perhaps you will be able to get to the bottom of it quickly and use some CBT (Cognitive Behaviour Therapy) that will help you. If you are like me it would be in your best interest to stay off these Health Related websites and keep busy doing other things. I know how difficult it is because "voila" here I am. BUT as of today I will try to only visit the OCD/obsessions board and stay of the rest of the "scary" boards. Perhaps we can keep in touch and help each other out. Leaha

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2005, 07:27 PM   #3

worrywart0829 HB User

Thanks Leaha -

I may look around for a counselor b/c this is getting crazy and making me insane. I actually found this website b/c I was researching symptoms of this strange bump I have on my neck (is it skin cancer? throat cancer? thryroid cancer? lymphoma?). I am making my husband and family CRAZY. At a family party on Sunday I made EVERYONE at the party look at it and tell me what they thought it was.

I have always been a big worrier, even before my friend died. But ever since then I make myself CRAZY. I pick at things and if I have a lump or bump I rub/touch it until it is all red and puffy and hurts. Like this lump on my neck, I have rubbed and played with it so much that the skin around it is tender, swollen and red.

Thanks so much for your response.

Old 05-03-2005, 10:48 PM   #4
(female)

Leaha HB User

It is crazy how we research all the worst possible things that it could be. Here's an example of my insane life! For the past few months I have noticed that my stools have been a little odd...they have been flat on one side. So for the past 4 weeks or so I have looked up Colon Cancer at least 50 times a day, every website I could find and like you it "drives me crazy" but I just can't stop looking for that reassurance...which by the way I never find it! Anyway I decided to go to the doctor (I work in the only clinic in town so my doctor is a co-worker) and it turns out I have an internal hemmoroid from giving birth to my baby girl. So for the last 4 weeks of my life I have been obsessing over this and it has consumed so much of my energy. Geez, I could have been enjoying my daughter, laughing and playing but instead I give her "just enough" attention and spend my days worrying about diseases i don't have. Sometimes I get so mad at myself and I know it is ridiculous but I just can't stop. So for now I feel fine, no colon cancer this week, until the next symptom comes up and it all starts again. Every time I tell myself that this is the last time I am going to do this.... One therapist told me to try and think of it like "an alcoholic". What he said was for each day that you stay off the internet, away from medical books etc..is like another day sober. I think that might be a good idea.
I have a lump on my neck that is a gland that was swollen at one point and never went down after the infection went away, I remember obsessing over this for a couple of months a few years ago. Mine was red and swollen from constantly feeling it...I was sure it was cancer. This happens to me frequently, find a lump, bump, mole, whatever. AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-04-2005, 01:02 PM   #5

worrywart0829 HB User

It sounds like we have alot in common! I too worry b/c I don't give my infant daughter enough attention b/c I am constantly worried about something. I'm trying to leave my neck bump alone b/c the skin around it HURTS now from me rubbing it so much. And logically, if it does get any bigger I won't know if it's from me playing with it or it just getting larger. But logical thinking hasn't stopped me yet. . .

Old 05-04-2005, 03:56 PM   #6
(female)

daftthing HB User

Fear of illnesses/diseases (some more so than others - but I can't write it) is my biggest obsession. It takes up the better part of my OCD time.

Old 05-04-2005, 05:54 PM   #7

worrywart0829 HB User

Doesn't it just stink? And the internet is a very very bad thing regarding that. There is way too much information available. Most of it negative!

Old 05-04-2005, 06:08 PM   #8
(female)

daftthing HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by worrywart0829
Doesn't it just stink? And the internet is a very very bad thing regarding that. There is way too much information available. Most of it negative!
OMG Tell me about it. Sometimes I torture myself with some of the stuff that is just so readily avaliable to read. I mean, I know better than to read about those sorts of things, but ..... there ya go!

Old 05-04-2005, 07:54 PM   #9

worrywart0829 HB User

I know, EVERYONE tells me to stay OFF the internet. . .but here I am again! I feel like if I made myself busier it might be easier. I don't know. It just sucks. I feel trapped sometimes by my own mind.

Old 05-05-2005, 01:21 PM   #10

Blue102 HB User

I'm kind of a mental hypochondriac...I can easily convince myself I have any and every mental illness. I do it when I'm bored. I obsess over it because I can't find anything better to think about, I guess. I have had some real problems in the past, and sometimes they threaten to come back, which scares me. I also have other types of OCD: anxiety, obsessions, everything has to be clean (disinfected) before I touch it, etc... I'm going to be seeing a counselor soon. Hopefully she'll help. I've also found that keeping busy with other things helps me a lot. It's also helped me to hear from a professional that I really don't have anything serious, other than a little OCD. Hint: LIMIT YOUR TIME ON THE INTERNET! For real!!!!

Old 05-08-2005, 06:59 PM   #11
(female)

hypochondriac1 HB User

I am a hypochondriac too!

Maybe it has something to do with having a baby -- I have a 7 month old daughter (and a 2 year old) and I too feel like I just do the bare minimum for them because I"m so upset and depressed and stressing out over my latest symptom.

I've had enough. The latest flare up has been the worst I've had in a while, and the first I've had since having kids. It's really interfering with my life and I've got to do something about it. I've got a therapy appointment on Thursday. I really hope she can help. I've heard a lot about cognitive behavioral therapy. We'll see.

I've always been like this -- honestly, since I was like 4, maybe earlier. I never realized it was a real problem you could get help for until I caught myself ignoring my kids to search for symptoms online. It's crazy.

Old 06-17-2007, 09:30 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

supermom3 HB User

To Worrywart and Leaha -

I hope you both read this - I realize your posts were 2 years ago, but I am in need of talking to you!!! I have OCD and I go through spurts of obsessing about the fear of having cancer or getting cancer - (I also worry about this regarding my husband and children) I get reassurance with myself by having my blood drawn every few months or so, and after a while I need the reassurance again! It's crazy!

Closed Thread