It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2003, 08:43 PM   #1

VeryConcernedMom HB User
Post Is my 6-year old a Hypochondriac?

My six-year-old daughter is having problems with her eyes. She complains of a burning pain, especially when closing her eyes. There are no indications of Conjunctivitis. She also has frequent headaches and stomachaches, which occur almost every day. She has begun complaining othat she sees spots on distant objects. Not floaters, but large black shadows. She also states that light from a 100-watt incandescent lightbulb appears to be green.
I have also noticed that she sometimes has a rash after exposure to strong sunlight, even though I am very careful to use a zinc based sunblock with an SPF of 45 or higher. (The rash does not appear to be caused by an allergy to sunblock because I have tried switching brands without result and have also put the sunblock on her at night. The rash only breaks out in the daytime). Another odd thing that has shown up recently is an apparrent delay in processing what she has been told. She has not had any previous problems with her hearing. Here is an example of what I mean: Two days ago, I asked her if she was hungry and she just cocked her head top one side and looked at me with a confused expression. I repeated the question and she continued to stare with a blank look. she was no more than 4 feet away, but I asked her if she had heard me, just in case. she said that she had, but did not understand what I had said.
What could be causing this? she has not been formally tested for I.Q. but has always appeared to be fairly intelligent and was reading at a 2nd grade level the last time I checked. Over the last month, her handwriting has regressed, and she has trouble reading things that used to pose no problem for her. Has anyone had similar problems with their child? Any ideas as to the possible cause?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2003, 11:36 PM   #2
Veteran

HeyThere HB User
When were her vaccinations done? If you stare at a light you will see spots. Take her to an eye doc. to see if she has glacoma or maybe she is hypoglycemic and is in a stupor state sometimes does anything like that run in your family hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia or diabeties she should get tested. maybe even see a Nuerologist and get an MRI. A hypochondriac is somone who thinks they have every disease they read about. It sounds from what you write she has real Health problems.

Old 08-11-2003, 12:54 AM   #3

fntsyangel HB User
I dont have any suggestions as to the actual problem, but you do need to take your daughter to a doctor ASAP as these are not little things ... it could indicate a neurological problem. 6 year olds dont really have the mentality yet to be hypochondriacs - faked illnesses on the part of a 6 year old are more along the lines of tummy aches - not seeing or comprehension problms.

Closed Thread