It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2005, 07:34 AM   #1
(female)

smvdelv HB User
All these symptoms can make you a hypochondriac, for sure!

Does anyone else feel like they are quickly becoming a hypochondriac? It seems like my mind wanders far too much, and before I know it, I have diagnosed myself with every deadly disease going! For the past few days, I have had brownish spotting (not a lot, just enough to be annoying!) and my IBS is raging out of control. Of course, I am convinced it is cervical cancer, stomach cancer, colon cancer... you name it - I probably have it!

I had all kinds of tests back in January and early February for stomach issues, as well as a routine mammogram and pap smear. Everything was normal. But of course, since it is 7-8 months later, I am sure that I now have something terrible that has just cropped up.

Does it ever get better? I mean, one day I feel fine, both physically and mentally, but then the stomach acts up and I start with these dreaded feelings all over again!

My periods are still pretty regular, although this month, I have been spotting since 16 days from the start of my last period. I am due (28 days) on the 10th, but keep getting cramps that make me feel like it is coming any minute!

Okay, I'm done ranting... for now, lol.

I can't tell you how thankful I am to have found these boards.

The following user gives a hug of support to smvdelv:
WorryWorm2 (01-26-2012)
Old 09-05-2005, 07:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User
Re: All these symptoms can make you a hypochondriac, for sure!

Yes, I became a hypochondriac for sure. I haven't had a period for two years and still I remain one.

I don't see how it is possible to not become one. Our entire body goes out of whack and all the symptoms of peri can also be symptoms of some dreaded disease. In addition, anxiety is one of the biggest symptoms of meno.

I know how you feel about the spotting. Been there, done that. It is part of peri and most of us have experienced it. I could say, "try to relax" but it can be impossible in peri and apparently for awhile after peri.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2005, 06:01 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

viktik HB User

I think I a the QUEEN of hypochondria! I've had stomach problems all of my life, so I completely understand what you are going through there. Plus, I have the aches, all over body stiffness, *****ing and burning on skin, rash on the back of my neck, strange feelings in my head, painful periods, and the list goes on and on... The anxiety is really bad in the evenings, so my doctor is letting me have a low dose of Ativan for that. Please know that most of us think something terrible is wrong with us because we feel soooooooo bad!!

You are not alone--we are all in this together! These boards are very helpful, don't you think?

Have a great day and feel better!

viktik

The Following User Says Thank You to viktik For This Useful Post:
WorryWorm2 (01-26-2012)
Old 09-07-2005, 05:41 PM   #4
(female)

smvdelv HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by viktik
I think I a the QUEEN of hypochondria! I've had stomach problems all of my life, so I completely understand what you are going through there. Plus, I have the aches, all over body stiffness, *****ing and burning on skin, rash on the back of my neck, strange feelings in my head, painful periods, and the list goes on and on... The anxiety is really bad in the evenings, so my doctor is letting me have a low dose of Ativan for that. Please know that most of us think something terrible is wrong with us because we feel soooooooo bad!!

You are not alone--we are all in this together! These boards are very helpful, don't you think?

Have a great day and feel better!

viktik
Thanks so much for your reply, Viktik! I have just about all things that you mention. I had the itching skin and immediately thought it had to be liver cancer. Feelings in the head? Tumors, of course. Body stiffness? No doubt, bone cancer. UNBELIEVABLE!!

Now for the past two days, I have felt great! But every day, I wake up wondering what I will feel like!!!!

As for these boards, they are the best therapy of all!!!!!

Old 09-08-2005, 11:53 AM   #5
(female)

chester4 HB User

Hi, Yes I am also an anxiety ridden train wreck! It started in May when I had some blood after a bowel movement and straining. I was convinced I had advanced colon cancer. Then my mammogram was suspisous and I was sure i had breast cancer. I was crying every day and had such anxiety and panic attacks I thought I was going crazy!! I had hot flashes, night sweats and palpatations which I was sure was heart failure! I finally figured out that it may be peri and went to my PCP she prescribed paxil which litterally saved my life. I still have some sweats at times but my moods are fairly stable. I didn't see it before but now I know that I was depressed. Some days are still better than others but now I feel more in control. I know that an antidepressant isn't for everyone but it sure has helped me. I wish you all well, keep in touch Ann

Old 09-09-2005, 09:42 AM   #6
(female)

Earlene HB User

viktik and smvdelv,
what specific stomach issues are you having? Since menopausal, stomach issues are my main issues. Been tested for everything and nothing found. Also just don't feel well most of the time. I am trying bioidential hormones which have made a small improvement but maybe need a stronger dosage? Pharmacist may increase next month. It makes it hard for me to function. Does food both you? Any nausea? What do you take if anything for the stomach problems that help you..
E

Old 09-10-2005, 06:17 AM   #7
(female)

smvdelv HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlene
viktik and smvdelv,
what specific stomach issues are you having? Any nausea? What do you take if anything for the stomach problems that help you..
E
Hi Earlene,

I have Irritable Bowel to begin with, so that doesn't help. My stomach issues are varied - off and on nausea (the worst!), cramps, gurgling in my stomach, diarrhea, gas. I really don't take anything for it.

I had originally gone to the doctor in January with nausea that wouldn't quit. I had tons of blood work, an abdominal and pelvic CT scan (which showed "something alarming" on my pancreas!!!! ), and then an Endoscopic Ultrasound, which showed that my pancreas was normal. Talk about being a wreck!!!! Here I am, just about to go under anesthesia at Mass General Hospital in Boston, no one is with me but the nurse and the doctor who is a pioneer is this field, and he looks at me very nonchalantly and says, "We will be looking at your pancreas closely because, quite frankly, the CT scan showed something quite alarming". Well, I almost DIED!!!! My doctor had never said that to me. She had just said she thought that with my history (had my gallbladder removed 10 years ago, but not until many years of discomfort because they couldn't diagnose me), I had pancreatitis, and wanted to rule out anything more serious. It turned out that everything was fine, but boy, was I frightened. Some of these doctors have NO bedside manner and it seems the more qualified they are, the less they have. I guess I would rather have it that way than someone who doesn't know what they are doing that talks "nice" to me, lol!

Anyway, after all these tests (my doctor told me that she had basically performed a "living autopsy", she told me that it must just be my IBS. At this point, I was feeling better, too, and just wanted to get on with my life. That is when I discovered these boards. I have come to my own conclusion that my symptoms are due to perimenopause. Quite frankly, after reading some posts, I'm not sure that I want to ask my GP or OB/GYN, for fear they will tell me "no, it isn't", because then, I will REALLY turn into a hypochondriac!!!!

Old 09-10-2005, 04:22 PM   #8
(female)

1awesomegranny HB User

Yep, definitely hypochondriacal (is that a word? lol) here...all ya have to do is look under my name and you'll see the posts...stomach probs, spotting probs, headaches, bowel symptoms, reflux and gerd....the list goes on and on. And all the anxiety from this resulted in me going on ativan when needed...yippee. I can sympathize with all of you, just wish I knew a magic cure because I'm sure like me, you all are just plain sick and tired of feeling like this!
Take care all,
Conni

Old 09-10-2005, 05:53 PM   #9
(female)

Earlene HB User

I've become a hypochondriac too.......I believe all these symptoms are due to the hormonal imbalance going on peri thru post menopausal. I've had every one of them. Some doctor's bedside manner leaves a lot to be desired..one dr. told me that I "had been around too long" what that's supose to mean?
Needless to say, I have stopped going to him.
Tonight, I had my doctor call me at home and wanted me to have him paged. He was on call and wanted me to know that he had found some bacteria in my urine. This is only the second time in my life that a doctor has called me at home. I was, of course, nervous until he called me back. My imagination was going wild.
What is activan? Does it help menopause?

Old 09-10-2005, 06:18 PM   #10
(female)

1awesomegranny HB User

Hi Earlene,
Shame on that doctor for scaring you! I'm glad it wasn't bad news Ativan is like xanax or prozac...its an anti-depressant that relaxes you and it helps you sleep. I only take it when I absolutely have to because I'm so afraid of becoming dependant on it. That's all I'd need on top of these peri symptoms; a drug habit lol
Take care,
Conni

Old 09-12-2005, 12:04 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

Hi,

Yes I can totally relate!! I am much more preoccupied with my health and how I am feeling and worrying about it all in this peri stage. Last year was the worst of that feeling for me but I still deal with it now as far as obsessing over every thing. I am due in Oct to go for my pap and mammogram and know I will be a wreck. Know I should also have a colonscopy at some point as we all should at 50 or older but can't cope with it right now , which I know is stupid.

As far as the stomach issues..if you haven't already get a book called The Pause ...it gives a great explanation of the gas and digestive disturbances that ar common at this time.

Take care,
rmc

Old 09-14-2005, 07:29 AM   #12
(female)

ljturner HB Userljturner HB Userljturner HB Userljturner HB User

Holy cow I am so glad to have found this thread...I am 39 and for the past three years I have been through the mill, and I am convinced that there is a peri connection. First off, I suffer from pre-menstrual dysphoric disorder (basically I become a complete head case a few days before I get my period, to the point of suicidal thoughts), so I have been on prozac for that for about five years, it helps a lot. But in the meantime I started having kidney stones three years ago, night sweats in the past two years, and a series of gastrointestinal issues. Had my gall bladder out in July, didn't have stones but it was basically non functioning. Just got diagnosed this week with diverticulitis and am seeing the urologist in an hour due to another kidney stone. I have been poked, prodded and scanned so many times in the last three years I am waiting for my hair to fall out. Every time I get a symptom I have this battle in my head, is it real or my imagination? Should I call the doctor? Is this bloodwork / x-ray / cat scan / colonoscopy / GI series really necessary? It is becoming a joke, whatever is out there to get, I seem to get it in spades. And the kicker is that none of it is enough to knock me down completely, so I continue to work and take care of my kids and house and everything else, but generally feel like S*&^T all the time...so tired and washed out...and of course I should mention my periods are so heavy and I get cramps like never before. I just want to crawl under the covers for five days and be left alone! Oh and did I mention the migraines???????????????????

Old 09-14-2005, 08:37 AM   #13

olderlady HB User

For the past few weeks I have been needing to clear my throat constantly. I am now obsessed with the idea that I have lung or throat cancer. I am having terrible hot flashes so I keep hoping maybe they're connected.

Old 09-14-2005, 10:06 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

Lj,

I empathize as it is such a hard time with all these symptoms one gets and it goes beyond the usual hot flashes one hears about.

My heart goes out to you with having to endure all the testing which I am sure creates more anxiety.

Anxiety has been the biggest issue for me and that in turn makes other symptoms even seem worse. Sometimes it can be overwhelming.

Continue to post and read the board as I know it has helped me not feel alone in this and it helps to see that others feel the same way.

Take care,

rmc

Old 09-14-2005, 10:08 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

Olderlady,

I know what you are saying, one symptom crops up and in the past it may have seemed a non issue but now in peri it is magnified. And we start to think all sorts of things, mostly negative about what it could be. Try not to go there as if you have been to the doctors, etc. you know that you are fine and it is just peri and will pass.

Hard to do though I know.

Take care,

rmc

Closed Thread