It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2005, 04:54 PM   #1

mike_1984 HB User
Hypochondriac stories

Anyone here a hypochondriac? Can you explain to me how you guys feel day to day? What kind of symptoms do you have? What "diseases" do you guys have? What are you doing about it to help yourselves? I need all the info I need cause I feel like my problem is getting worse. I'm a huge stress ball! Please help me with some of your stories so maybe I can relate. Thanks guys!

Old 09-11-2005, 06:28 PM   #2
(female)

Verucah HB User
Re: Hypochondriac stories

Mike,
The hypochondria is all the symptoms of anxiety disorder. All of the symptoms we feel (chest pains, short of breath, dizzy, fast heart rate) are indicative of anxiety disorder. Not to mention the negative thoughts we have which is also a symptom of this disorder.

Trying reading Lucinda Bassett's book "Attacking Anxiety" and the "Panic Attack Workbook" by Dr. David Carbonell. They are both really helpful in understanding how hypochondria plays a role in this.

Good Luck!
Verucah

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2005, 07:40 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

The last poster is right.....
I feel physical symptoms from anxiety or stress and then my mind gets carried away and I diagnose myself with something,usualy something really bad.The anxiety sometimes causes me to stroll the internet for hours serching for what I could have wrong with me and I always think it is the worst thing I find.Then I may go to my doctor and push until he orders tests for me to rule out these "dieases" I believe to have.It is a really sad state to be in and just think one of these days it may really be a bad disease..I just wonder how in the world I would deal with something like that.

For now all I can say is thank God for anxiety meds they are the only thing keeping me from obsessing on my health and stopping alot of anxiety.

I think alot of times anxiety and hypocondria go hand and hand especialy for those of us that have loads and loads of physical symptoms that change and seem to come out of the blue.

Old 09-12-2005, 06:25 AM   #4
(male)

eaap10 HB User

Is it hypocandria when you have real symptoms ? Ever since my anxiety got worse i started suffering from chronic lower back and knee pain. I'm also always exhausted all the time, my stomach hasn't stopped grawling for years.. I really could go on and on... but my questions is... what does one do when everyday something new seems to appear..... any comments?

Old 09-12-2005, 06:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User

Oh my symptoms are real. And I have weird ones!! Thing is I believe that because of my heightened sense of awareness and anxiety, I feel and notice things others really wouldnt. I worry about heart problems, blood clots, stroke, annuerysm, cancer...usually anything fatal. I have health anxiety, but also exsistential anxiety. I dont have a clear faith in an afterlife or religion. I think that plays a part in why I am so afraid to die. I also have a new baby and fear I will not be around to see her grow up.

I am in therapy and take medication. I journal and work on CBT exercises. The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook is very helpful.

Old 09-12-2005, 09:03 AM   #6
(female)

hypokelly HB User

Hello everyone,
I just accepted that I may have an anxiety disorder, after returning from the doctors office.
My story starts with quitting smoking 3yrs ago as I was getting SOB, but of course I wacked on lbs(50 to be exact)
I then started feeling exhasted all the time,I used to donate bld, but now they wouldn't let me as my bld was lower than allowed.
I was also getting pain up my left side(crampy and colicky)Doc sent me for a endoscopy and some CT scan of my bowels. That doc claimed I had a touch of IBS,possibly.
Next thing I know I have blurred vision and foggy(I now where glasses),achey joints(knees, fingers, toes,elbows,wrists)shakey,bladder incontenience,chest pain,tremors in hand,changes in my period, and the continued fatigue.
Doc was now concerned, tested me for lupus(I thought I had this for sure), thyroid, menapause,MS, heart disorders.
Bld work showed ESR elevated and bld a little low,also alpha 1 was low( doc explained that this could indicate emphyasema(sp) or liver disease later in life)
A CT scan was ordered to rule out any MS, but they found a "prominent Bulge", doc states possibly anyerism or clot. I panick, sent to neurlogist and have MRI,apparently it is not either and I don't have MS.
Next, I'm sent to Rheumatologist. He says take this anti-imflammatory and that I have osteoarthritis,also loose weight
Cardiologist does tests finds I have MVP and that my heart is good otherwise, and to loose weight.
urologist says he will do surgery to fix bladder and loose weight.
So, I carried on with taking Wellbutrin,anti-imflammatory and panteloc(stomache med) occasionally seeing PCP and checking out internet, sometimes thinking I might really have a disease, but surfing the net is not a good idea,it just feeds my anxiety.
Recently I have had increased bruising,nausea and some vomiting with feeling of fullness under left ribs, heart palps increasing, concerned it was meds so started to wean off.I went to see doc today about these recent "symptoms", she agreed it could be from the meds and told me to discontinue them and procceded to read a letter from the cardiologist stating he felt all my issues were due to anxiety and of course the weight gain.
I do have a LOT of stress in my life.I work fulltime, have come out of an abusive marriage,but remarried to a wonderful man, my daughter has congenitial heart disease and my mothers' health is now failing.
I cannot watch or read the newspaper any more, as it gives me more anxiety and depresses me.
So...... here is my story,I guess I'm a hypochondriac with anxiety.
I am now stopping my meds and hopefully start feeling better and I have to LOOSE WEIGHT.
This health board is wonderful for people with "real"diseases, but to some of us hypos it feeds our problems, so with that being said I will probably be weaning myself off the boards, but I hope the moderaters don't ban me as I don't know if I can go cold turkey(LOL)
Mike I hope this helps you and I hope you get better, I'm also assuming 1984 is the year you were born, if this is so,you are too young to let this control your life as you have a lot of living to do,easier said than done, but please try.
Good-bye, kelly

Old 09-12-2005, 11:15 AM   #7

mike_1984 HB User

Very heart felt and appreciated guys. Thank you very much for the responses.

Old 09-13-2005, 09:38 AM   #8
(male)

hypocondreact19 HB User

Mike, I am in the same boat as yourself mate! I am only 19 years old and I am an absolute mess and have been for a few years now. I report everything to my doctor, just the other week I went up to A&E in my local hospital twice in two nights because I was sure I had lung cancer. It gets me really down, not suicidal but REALLY REALLY DOWN! I start to notice physical changes and symptoms of fatal diseases, yet when I talk to my GP or hospital doctors, they look at me as if i have two heads. Sometimes, i think i am the only person in the world that feels like this, i feel like im going insane sometimes. My email address is [ please read and follow the posting rules - no emails ]

[ Please read the posting rules which explain that offering or asking off board contact is not permitted. The boards are to be used for on board sharing, only. The email and private message features are turned off so that use of the message boards remain anonymous. The only contact you may make with members is to post on the board. ]

Last edited by moderator2; 09-13-2005 at 09:48 AM. Reason: please read and follow the posting rules - no emails

Closed Thread