It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2005, 09:01 AM   #1
(female)

MissBecky82 HB User
Does anyone have health anxiety/hypochondria?

Am I the only one out there who panics about every little symptom I have? Please tell me I'm not alone!

Old 10-13-2005, 09:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User
Re: Does anyone have health anxiety/hypochondria?

Have you read any of the posts here? LOL. Everyone here pretty much has health anxiety.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2005, 09:05 AM   #3
(female)

amymv HB User

Believe me you are not alone......I am the same way. I wish I were not like this...but I too am constantly looking around in books..looking up symptoms...and I always think I have something....

Old 10-13-2005, 09:16 AM   #4
(female)

sarah5432 HB User

You are NOT alone. I consider myself the queen of health anxiety. LOL I never had this before last December and was so carefree. Now every little symptom I think I'm dying of a heart attack, stroke, blood clots. You name it, I've thought I had it.

I just started Lexapro 7 days ago and am hoping that it helps me. This is no way to live and its been hard on my family too. My doctor and I have a close relationship because I've been in to see him so often. Even all the nurses know me by my first name.

Old 10-13-2005, 09:38 AM   #5
(female)

MissBecky82 HB User

See, I am so impatient and anxious all the time that I had to start a post before I read anything other than the first page! Jeebus, I'm a nut.

It's SO cool that I'm not alone. Really. What is it this week for all of you? I have MS and cancer today!

Hey, I'm on Lexapro too! I was on it from October 04 to May 05, but gained a lot of weight. I went off and it was the biggest mistake I ever made. I was doing SO well on Lex. I didn't have any HA flareups at all. Well, lo and behold, September (allergy season for me) rolls around and I flip out again. My doc gave me Effexor but it wasn't helping so I went back on the Lexapro last Friday. I just need to try really hard to watch my weight!! It DOES work well for me though. I hope it works for you too!

Last edited by MissBecky82; 10-13-2005 at 09:40 AM.

Old 10-13-2005, 11:28 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

lindsalou HB User

Hello and welcome miss becky.
Well where to start, this week ive convinced myself ive got lung cancer, brain tumor and arthiritus in my foot (god knows where i got that one from - i think cos my foot ached).
I was only thinking today how someone who doesnt have anxiety proberbly gets an ache or pain and thinks 'if it gets worse, i'll see a doc or just forgets about it', whereas we have to scrutinise, overexagarate and look for possible causes.
Its just anxiety that causes us to blow things out of proportion.
If youve found a medication that helps - keep on with it, so what if you gain a few extra pounds. Id rather be fat and happy than thin and anxious.
Linds

Old 10-13-2005, 12:35 PM   #7
(female)

awm38 HB User

OH Lordy, have you come to the right place!.....everyone here has health anxiety. Its funny, i can barely remember a time when i was carefree. Wait til you hit 40 and you will really go over the edge! Im on Lexapro also, i think it helps, but the xanax really works well Right now im suffering from a red, irritated throat that want go away....so im sure its something bad, i hate all this worry!! Hope the Lex helps you.

Ann

Old 10-13-2005, 01:26 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

I think I'm past health anxiety now and I'm sure I'm going to die from something. It's really freeing in a way. Years spent on worrying I might have something wrong and I'm still here. All we can do is keep getting checkups and try to manage our anxiety the best we can.

Old 10-13-2005, 01:51 PM   #9
(female)

awm38 HB User

I keep telling myself that God has a plan for everyone, and there isnt much you can do about it, but somehow that doesnt help me for a long period of time. Maybe if i hadnt gone through so much pain when i lost my mom 4 years ago, and i have a daughter that is only 12. Scares me so much to think about her having to go through what i did. I never had this kind of anxiety until she died, and i havent been able to go on with my life like some people do. I go through periods...which is most of the time where i dont want to do anything but stay at home, not get out and do anything....really sux!

Old 10-13-2005, 01:52 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

dinney HB User

Oh all that you people are saying is soooooooo me !!! I have finally in the past few months been able to admit that I suffer from hypchondria. But there will always be that thought in the back of my mind (but what if I am having a heart attack and blaming it on the anxiety).What a way to live, if you call it living. Am on proxac again (quit because I was CURED, wrong thing to do) now going through all the lovely side effects but going to stick it out..along with zanex..doing better (I think) All of us hang in there together..

Old 10-13-2005, 01:59 PM   #11
(female)

awm38 HB User

Weird thing is....all this anxiety makes me soooo depressed!, youre right, this is no way to live, and my poor family oh well....one day at a time i guess.

Old 11-10-2005, 07:44 PM   #12
(male)

bikesing HB User

Hypochondria....man I've suffered with that, or is it somatization, for at least 30 years. I'm a male, now 55, and have suffered most stress problems and have had more cardiac stress tests and internal GI checks than I should have. I know that when something stressful comes up ( a period in my life) I usually have a physical problem. These are all REAL pains to me, but are usually things like esophogeal spasms, which feel like heart problems, or headaches. In the past few years, I've worried re brain tumors (sharp pains I'll get that are probably sinus things) and heart problems. Well, the current one is prostate or bladder or kidney cancer. You see, I'm getting remarried in Feb to a wonderful woman who I've basically lived with for the past 2 years. My marriage broke up just before that because my wife had a lesbian affair that really blew me away. I thought everything was fine and then things started to deteriorate and then I found out. Well, things are good now, but I think I'm scared of marriage because of the bad experience. I do want to spend my life with her, but I just don't any more problems in the future!! Anyway, I wonder what role this all has...the annulment just came through and that's why Feb. We've been engaged for a year.

So...why the bladder and prostate cancer worry? Because I had a bout with what we think was a mild epididymitis in March which came back in Sept. Then a week ago I started to feel pains in my bladder, like I really have to go,and I'm convinced it's something terrible. Yes, I've gone to my Dr and yes, have a urologist referral. But I'm terrified. I always think and expect the worst. I dwell on it and am faking it to be happy now. Anytime I get a new or different symptom, I'm convinced it's a really bad problem. Ok, I can cope with a cold, but that's about it. So, I really understand hypochondria and anxiety and stress. Sometimes I wish I didn't know so much about medical things. To just be ignorant might be bliss.

Does any of this sound familiar????

bikesing

Old 11-11-2005, 11:18 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage bikesing! I'll bet it's just anxiety causing you this worry about your bladder. Do you see the urologist soon? I find the sooner I get things taken care of, the sooner I relax about them. I know what you mean about faking you are happy...I think a lot of people do this. I think it's rather healthy actually, because if you put on a happy face...often times the process is much more pleasant.

Old 11-11-2005, 12:35 PM   #14
(male)

THX43950 HB User

Please. I don't know how many times death was imminent for me because of aids, brain cancer, heart attack, blood clots (both knees and lungs), strokes, seizures, pancritis, pendacitis, bursting blood vessels in the brain, liver failure, kidney failure, or space born sinus infection that was gonna eat away my face. Now my esophegus is getting eaten away by stomach acids (thank you nexium commercial).

and drum roll..... poisoning (by any chemical or drug I come into contact with)

I'm like Jason Vorhees, I'm indestructable.

Old 11-11-2005, 02:20 PM   #15
(male)

JKDR1 HB User

hey lindsalou what makes u think lung cancer? i ask because im torturing myself with the same idea

Closed Thread