It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2006, 03:29 AM   #1
(female)

o_janus_o HB User
Does anyone else get angry when they say you are a hypochondriac?

I've had people telling me that my whole life. The frustrating thing is that I really do have a diagnosed condition, but at the same time I get anxious that there is more wrong with me. I have all these symptoms and no answers. Whenever I take a stab in the dark as to what could be causing them people call me a hypochondriac.

Just looking to vent mostly. I won't deny the fact that I have anxiety, which is why I'm on this board, but at the same time that doesn't make me a hypochondriac.

And more than the fact that they say it, I hate the WAY that they say it. They don't say it like they are trying to help me out. They don't say it like they just figured out the cause of all my problems and they are bestowing the answer upon me. They say it like I'm a fool for being concerned. Arrrgggh!!

Okay, vented. Thanks!

Anyone else experience this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2006, 05:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gxpark1234 HB User
Re: Does anyone else get angry when they say you are a hypochondriac?

i do sometimes if im experiencing something that i think is serious, but i realized that everytime i do get something i think is serious, it doesnt end of being anything.. so i understand why people would say that.. do u look up symptoms on the internet? jus wondering cause i think thats the reason why im still like this.. ok bye

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2006, 08:54 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

I know exactly how it feels Janus.I have had soo many physical symptoms over the last 12 years it blows my mind that nothing has been found.I was diagnosed 12 years ago after fainting and then I had a whole array of symptoms.I have fainted several times since then each time I feel absolutely HORRIBLE when I come to I vomit,or lose my bowls,sweat from head to toe,out of it,so weak I cannot get up,chest hurts,heart going nuts.This isnt all it would take me 20 mins or more to list all the symptoms ive had lol.I am always told anxiety/stress and of course I have people who blow me of and call me a hypochondriac.........and yes that burns my rump its as if those of us with anxiety cannot possibly have any other health issues and you know yourself we can.I am glad nothing has been found ,but at the same time I have those thoughts "how is it possible to be nothing else?" drives me crazy

Old 01-05-2006, 09:30 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tina76 HB User

It makes me crazy too! My mother has said that about me for years. Until EVERY single ailment I complained about turned out to be something serious! Now she is much better about it. I know some of my friends probably think I am as well....but I try not to let it get to me. They have just never experienced the type of medical problems that I have, and I am thankful for that! No one deserves it! If they had though, they would definitely think of my problmes in a whole new way!

Old 01-05-2006, 06:41 PM   #5
(male)

DavieVegas HB User

My grandmother tells me all the time because I caonstantly have anxiety which causes me to think i have other problems. At 25, I do not feel this is right for humans to have to deal with the stress of anxiety and other things. Its a shame.

Old 01-05-2006, 07:27 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User

One time a coworker called me a hypochondriach and I burst into tears right in the middle of the bank lobby (where I was working). You see, I am known for getting odd things, such as whooping cough and what not. I was talking to my therapist about it, and he said that people that have anxiety are more likely to be concerned about their health, but a hypochnodriac is much different.

And as the expression goes: even hypochondriachs get sick!

Old 01-06-2006, 12:21 AM   #7
(female)

o_janus_o HB User

Wow! Tnmomoffive, have you had CT scans and the whole bit? That seriously does not sound anxiety induced. I'm no expert or anything, but it sounds like you have a SERIOUS medical condition!

It's really good to know that I'm not alone in this frustration. I too have nearly always had a problem when I've experienced symptoms. I've gone to the ER many times in my life and I'm only 23. I'm often wrong about the problem, but there is almost always a problem.

I went in because I thought I had appendicitis, and it ended up being galstones. Another time I thought I might have meningitis, but it ended up being lymph nodes that were so severely swolen that my neck muscles had seized and I couldn't turn my head. The times that I've gone in I wasn't alone in my assumption of the illness either.

When I take prescription medication I often get terrible anxiety from the reaction. I get scared that I'm going to die or something when in fact it's only a bad reaction. It has genuinely been a BAD reaction when this happens though. Terrible vomiting, bowl problems, heart palpitations, etc. I'm very sensitive to these things. And yes, it scares the bejezes out of me! That doesn't make my problems any less real though.

Recently a good friend called me a hypochondriac because I was having perpetual acid reflux. That about made me cry too. It's always been my friends who call me a hypochondriac. How rude! I'm now on prilosec and the hole in my esophegous (sp?) is now healing. I have a lot wrong with me. I get scared. Isn't that kind of normal?

Yes, gxpark, I do look up symptoms, but often, though I initially assume the worst, I eventually really do figure out what is going on with me. Then I am able to pass it off as nothing, or treat it. I think for many people with anxiety internet searching is a bad thing. For me without medical care, it's been a godsend!

My heart goes out to the rest of you who have genuine problems, even if they do tend to be anxiety related. A symptom is a symptom, no matter what the cause. Take care!

Old 01-06-2006, 06:36 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

hi Janus

well I had an MRI and CT scan (with the dye) 12 year ago after the first faint....these were done by a neurologist and 2 other doctors looked at them and said they were normal.I also had a EEG which was normal........i dunno i still suspect seizures or something else but im always told anxiety/stress or once told "prone to faint"

Old 01-07-2006, 12:19 PM   #9
(female)

scuder HB User

I think anyone that suffers from anxiety/panic/depression, has at one time or another been accused of being a hypochondriac. What people not suffering from one of more of these diseases needs to realize is that they are all diseases...just like diabetes, hypertension, arthritis, etc...
I once saw a psychiatrist that in her note to my primary doctor suggested that he not run an array of testing whenever I had symptoms. He (my PCP) was livid that the Psych would even suggest such a thing, and went so far as to tell me to tell her to deal with her end of my medical needs and he would deal with his, and do what HE felt was appropriate!! Needless to say, I never went back to that Psycho, I mean Psychiatrist....
Oh, and guess what...everytime I have had a symptom, they have found something wrong....ruptured disc in low back, bad gallbladder, etc.. So, just because people with anxiety have other physical complaints does not mean that they are not real...and possibly related to a serious condition. I tell the ones that want to call me a hypochondriac....to go blow in the wind!!!

Old 01-07-2006, 01:38 PM   #10
(female)

starrynight3333 HB User

i'm with you all on this one..i suffer from health anxiety and to me the term hypochondriac comes off like "just being dramatic" while the symptoms and the pains are real...i have said on few occasions i don't like that word..so it appears i'm not alone with this one..

Old 01-07-2006, 11:29 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User

wow I must say that I feel so much more relieved now to read other people's stories and complaints about the word hypochondriach. I joke about being one, but that's ME saying it.. you know? It's like the difference from calling yourself fat than having your boyfriend tell you you're fat lol.

Right now I am stuck in an anxiety rut: I have this really bad fear of getting blood clots, and my cousin (2 years old) just bit me really hard near my eye (I have a shiner that's going to be embaressing to explain lol) and I'm all afraid I'm going to get a blood clot from it. I'm also worried about my anxiety (okay, I admit, that sounds funny) because it has been crazy lately. I have not passed out in nearly 3 months, but lately I have felt close to it and panic attacks are a 2-3 daily thing for me right now. I'm waiting for my med to change (has to be approved by my insurance before it can go through) and I'm also paranoid about the CT scan of my sinuses. I know it sounds bad but I kind of want something to show up on the scan, so at least my pain is justified, you know? I've had a low grade temp, swollen glands, blurred/double vision, but it seems like everytime I ever have a test done everything always comes back normal.

Sorry.. needed to vent LOL

Old 01-08-2006, 09:43 PM   #12
(male)

inhisglory HB User

Most people with general anxiety are blessed and cursed with being analytical. Many percive that as "hypochondria". Don't sweat it. I'm in the same boat. You'll probably end up being the person they call when they have a health related question.

Old 01-09-2006, 01:13 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User

InHisGlory: You are so true... people make fun of me but then they'll call me up and ask me what's going on with them lol

Closed Thread