It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2003, 10:01 AM   #1
Inactive

reneeintx HB User
Post Does depression and hypochondria go hand and hand??

Hi everyone~

I've been depressed for about 18 years. Some months I'm fine, then it hits me again. I can deal with this part.

My main problems is always thinking I'm dying of something. Cancer, tumors, neurological diseases. It never ends.

I've been on prozac for 9 years and recently quit.
It did nothing for the hypochondria anyway.

I quit prozac because my neurologist believes I've been on it for too long. I do have a benign neurological condition, that from what he said, could very well have been caused by the extended use of prozac. I'll never know.

It's sad always thinking you're dying. Why do some people get a headache and never think it's a tumor??or feel tired and leukemia never enters their mind. Why am I like this..

Neurologically damaged,

Renee

Old 06-13-2003, 04:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Janik HB User
Hi Renee, I'm sorry to hear about your hypochondria. At least you KNOW you're a cas of hypochondria, many others won't even admit as much. It's too bad Prozac didn't help, and even worse to know it could have had consequences. At least they are not serious. Did you ever try therapy or did you only try meds to control your condition?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2003, 06:56 AM   #3
Inactive

reneeintx HB User
Janik~

Thanks for the reply. I've never tried therapy. I doubt my husbands crummy insurance would even pay for it.

Maybe I could look into finding a depression group..like a local chapter of some kind.

I'm the type of person that would like talking face to face with other sufferers than a one on one therapy session.

As for the hypochondria, I do feel if I found a local group I betcha there'd be some hyperchondriac's.

I've always thought I had some sort of disease and was dying ever since I was 6 years old. Which could stem from my mother taking me to a bunches of doctors because of easily brusing. Granted I was only 6 but I did have ears. I remember her asking them to test me for leukemia. After some tests it turned out I was low on iron.

Thanks for the reply.

Renee

Old 06-14-2003, 04:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

Janik HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by reneeintx:
Janik~

Thanks for the reply. I've never tried therapy. I doubt my husbands crummy insurance would even pay for it...
Some people have tried the self-help approach and it seems to work. I'm not sure how much there's out there for hypochondria, but there ought to be books you could learn from. Cognitive behavioral therapy was very useful in my case and it would probably help in the case of hypochondria. For someone who has already admitted her own problem, it should be easier to folow a self-help approach.

Closed Thread