It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2006, 11:50 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

zosolizard HB User
Red face Afraid to call doctor/worried he'll think I'm a hypochondriac

I've been having pretty bad pains & pinching & numbness in my right temple for about 3 weeks now. It's getting more frequent & it's scaring me. (It happened occasionaly for the past year or two - never enough to bother me much).

However, I was just at the doctor 2 months ago for chest pains, and they did a CT & found nothing wrong (which was good news, of course!) In the past year I've been there many times for palpitations, rashes, etc.......

I'm not sure what to do!! Has anyone else had this problem ? I don't want him to think "oh no, it's HER again......" But - what if there is something really wrong with me ??

Am I just being silly and/or paranoid?

Old 05-16-2006, 12:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User
Re: Afraid to call doctor/worried he'll think I'm a hypochondriac

Yes...I've had this problem. Just remind yourself that the doctor works for you. You can go in and be honest and say, I know I might be overreacting, but I'm worried and would like to be checked. You could be having migraines, for which there are good medications your doctor can prescribe. Sometimes with anxiety, the only thing that helps is to have things checked out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2006, 01:23 PM   #3
(male)

birmab HB User
Re: Afraid to call doctor/worried he'll think I'm a hypochondriac

i have the same thoughts too. i am a self confessed hyperchondriac. i've been to the doctor many times, in a way just hoping they would notice i'd been so often that they would pose the question to me. yes its a good idea to ask for this and that to be tested for. it will put your mind at ease. but only a little. but i have found that until i asked why i was so concerned about problems i was not at ease. example, i had a full blood test done in january. then got obsessed with diseases not covered by the blood test. anxiety remained.
this is only my opinion and my experience, but mine arose due to what i was studying , my past medical history and an experience with death. i think its an important to address the question why are you so concerned about disease?
and count yourself lucky you got a ct scan. i have a history of heart problems (replaced valve and tetralogy of fallots) and the doctors ignored my chest pains and palpitations. needless to say, that did not subside my anxiety.

Closed Thread