It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2006, 09:36 AM   #1
(female)

dougrobin01 HB User
Unhappy I feel like a hypochondriac

Hi, I'm new to this site and thought I could get some input from a few of you. I already read some other threads about people who are wondering if they have FMS and I'm sure what I'm saying sounds alot like them. Sorry to be redundant.

I'll do my best to keep this short but I haven't told anyone, not even my husband what I think I might have. I just feel like I complain to much and people get sick of hearing me. I really do keep it to myself and then when friends, family and co-workers keep asking me what's wrong then I just have to come out and say, "I just don't feel good". I just don't like to talk about because I feel like people are going to think I'm a hypochondriac. I have to get a stupid referral from my general M.D. to even go see a Rheumatologist. That is who I need to see correct? Or do I need to see a Neurologist? I have an appt early Sept w/ my general M.D. I might even try and get an earlier appt.

Anyway, I printed out the FMS checklist from the thread by tkgoodspirit dated 3/13/05 and checked off alot of things. Too many to list here. I do want to bring this to my doctor. Bascially, I'm 37 and feel like I'm 80. No offense to any healthy 80 year olds out there. I thought all of my achyness, stiffness, muscle and joint pains, fatigue, and all that stuff most of you talk about was just because I've gained 40 lbs in the last 7 years but there are people alot heavier than me running circles around me. I used to be 150 lbs and alot was muscle due to my weight training. I hiked, did aerobics, etc. I used to be able to get up early and be the first one to arrive at work, parties, what have you. Now I'm sucking up to my boss because I cannot get my tired, achy body out of bed and I'm late to work every single day. I'm not the same person I used to be. I'm moody, grouchy and depressed on top of that. No, I'm not going to commit suicide but something has to be done now. I also want to have a baby now before get any older. I just went off the pill but I'm scared too.

Any suggestions you can give me would be great! I just needed to get some of this of my chest. I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. Thanks a bunch!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2006, 11:31 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

stick2013 HB User
Re: I feel like a hypochondriac

Hi,

Welcome to the board. I think that most of us here feel the same way as you do, so don't feel alone in that respect.

Yes, you need to see a good Rheumatologist. One who is familar with Fibro. There will be loads of test to rule OUT things because there is NO test for Fibro. Hopefully he or she will put you on some kind of treatment for pain, and sleep issues. My suggestion.......... Start out easy, but excersice... very important to keep moving, even when we feel like going right back to bed. Eat healthy, or at least as healthy as you can, take vitamins, especially calcium and magnesium, long soaks in the tub, candle light, and loads of day dreams to take your mind off the pain, and discomfort. Ice, and heat also help.

I hope that you don't have Fibro............... Good luck.

Sid

Old 08-10-2006, 12:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Make sure one of your docs checks your free T3 & free T4 thyroid levels -- no other tests substitute for these. Many people w/fibro improve when they attain midrange on these tests.

Best wishes.

Old 08-11-2006, 06:07 AM   #4
(female)

NataliesMom HB User

Don't feel that way around here. I think at some time or antoerh we have all felt like a hypocondriac. I know I sure did, and still do at times. I have MS, hypothyroid, hypoglycemia, low blood pressure, and Autonomic Dysfuntion, plus degenerative disc disease in both my C-spine and Lumbar spine, Oh, and I'm anemic.

It took many years for me to get the Fibro dx because my GP, and Neuro, and Endo had to get all the other things under control and dx first. Once all the other stuff was being treated and I was still having pain and heavy duty fatigue that was not attributed to my MS or anything else my GP started poking around on me and said, Well, hey I believe you've got Fibromyalgia. OH YEAH!! A new something to add to my laundry list of crapola that's wrong with me.

So you see, feeling like a hypochondriac is part of life when you're trying to figure out what the heck is wrong with you. And as long as you have insurance and they pay for all of the office visits and test and really expensive MRI's and things, go for it! You're paying for the insurance, burn it up, my hubby's ridiculous premium has already paid for itself thanks to me.

Old 08-11-2006, 07:01 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB User

I too am 37 and sometimes find it hard to believe I can have so much wrong with me. It is not fair, nor is right to have to fight for help. I have literally been accused of being a hypochondriac by doctors (as a child), my father, family frineds, and even people that just knew me in college and would make comments that were hurtful. It is bad enough to go through ANY kind of health issue, but if you have so much pain, and so many problems that are simply beyond your control you need to have good support around you. My family and friends as well as people who recognize me (think SMALL town), have seen over the years the progression of various illnesses and the toll it takes as well as a few car wrecks and brain trauma. I always knew there were legitimate problems, and walked away from relationships in which an individual or individuals just could not "get it" that yes you can be ill for long lenghts of time, and go through good periods and then back into bad ones. I realized disbelief, sarcasm, and negative attitudes from others were not healthy for me and even seemed to increase my problems. It is easy to tell you to not feel like a hypochondriac when your physical/mental/emotional health is at issue. Just know that you are not alone, especially here, and that with persistence you will get treatment that suits your particular needs. Hang in there!
Mim

Old 08-13-2006, 07:54 PM   #6
(female)

Ducky2020 HB User

I can totally relate to all of this. I had no medical problems until last Feb, and then everything fell apart. It started with hypothyroidism from Hashimoto's, plus enlarged lymph nodes, anemia, and Fibro. My family has been really supportive, but they do not understand why I still have problems after all of these months, and question why my doctors can't "fix it". I try over and over to explain that people have problems for years, but I guess they care so much they don't want to hear that, and keep expecting it to go away. Is anyone familiar with some good info for fibro that explains to family what to expect with this condition? It would make my life easier if everyone would stop expecting this to go away.

Old 08-13-2006, 11:22 PM   #7
(female)

Suni321 HB User

So glad you posted on the boards. It's often helped me to feel "sane" during times when I felt pretty darn alone. Fibromyalgia is a very difficult thing to have as too many people & doctors still do not believe in it as a "syndrome" and it's symptoms can be so varied. But, the bottom line is that you are not alone. It will get better & you will find a way to talk to others about it. But, for now the biggest thing is for you to get to a good Rheum Dr. that treats other Fibro patients. (You might even call in advance of the appointment and anonoymously ask).

But, there's some things that can help you on this journey.
1. Start a symptom journal. Write in it each day - just short notes about what symptoms you were having, anything new and any symptoms that kept you from doing something. (Such as Chronic fatigued - too tired to go out with friends for dinner). Also note each day your pain level using a scale of 1 to 10. And lastly your sleep - how long, note problems & if you woke still tired. With this journal you can keep this & bring it to your appointments.
2, Do find a good Rheum Dr. that you can work with. And do not be afraid to ask questions. (Take a list of questions with you if that will help).
3. Don't be afraid to do physcial therapy - swimming is highly recommended. I loved it & it really helped with the muscle aches.

But, rest assured you are not alone and we are all here to help you whatever way we can. Keep us posted.

Suni

Old 08-18-2006, 11:24 AM   #8
(female)

dougrobin01 HB User

Hi,

Wow, what a wonderful response. Thanks so much! I had a lovely weekend last week. Yes, I'm being sarchastic. Our pop-up camper's hitch came down right on my ankle. Was rushed to ER but no broken bones. Just bruising and lots of swelling. My whole body from the waist down hurts, not just my injured ankle. Seems like that happens a lot lately. I told my husband I felt like I got hit by a line-backer. Then my fever blisters popped out from the stress from the injury. I feel soooo pretty right now!! ha!

Anyway, I really do appreciate your wisdom and kind words. I hope to find lots of helpful things on this site. I still don't feel like I can really talk to anybody about it. Like it's some ugly secret or something. I guess it's just me.

Have a wonderful day!
Robin

Closed Thread