It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2006, 11:14 AM   #1
(female)

anxiousagain HB Useranxiousagain HB User
Effective Treatment for Health Anxiety/Hypochondriasis

I know I'm not alone in my constant health obsessions. I've read many posts on this board attesting to that fact. But what I would like to know is if there is anyone here who has actually overcome such obsessions. If so, how? Did medication help you to stop thinking about all that might be wrong with you? Is it possible to actually go through life without fearing there is something deadly going on inside you? I know that if I don't get over this problem, it's only going to get worse as I get older and simply cannot bear the thought of living the rest of my life this way.

TIA!

Old 10-26-2006, 12:33 PM   #2
(female)

EMY HB User
Re: Effective Treatment for Health Anxiety/Hypochondriasis

I am in an acute phase of health anxiety now. I thinks its because I was not consistently taking my prozac. Pozac has usually worked well for me. My doc increased my dosage but it takes a few weeks to take effect. I am hoping to get it under control soon. I am also going to seek counselling this time, I read that group counselling and cognt. behavior therapy have shown good results. What have you tried so far??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2006, 01:29 PM   #3
(female)

kingskid HB User
Re: Effective Treatment for Health Anxiety/Hypochondriasis

Realizing that stress lowers the immune system and that worry causes more worry and anxiety, which does me no good, helped me to get over it. I had to learn to treat worry/fear like I would treat any enemy that tried to do me harm...IGNORE it, and not feed into it. Lifes too short to worry everyday, I choose to enjoy it.

I'll copy/paste what I just posted to another poster not too long ago;

Hi there I'm sorry you are going thru this too. I used to be a mild hypochondriac(meaning that I could go yrs without having a hypo moment, or that I could still function even if I did have a health scare)

After my hysterctomy I started to have panic attacks, some nights I couldn't sleep, and like you, I begged God to help me get thru this. I'd hate feeling my heartbeat as well...especially when it pounded. Recently I developed white coat syndrome which caused elevated blood pressure. I worried that something was wrong with my heart, but their isn't. Anyway, thru prayer and cbt, I can pretty much say I've got this thing beat. Positive thoughts, and fighting off the negative calls for a repetitious effort. You can't just wake up in the morn, and make one or two positive statements, but be stressing over invalid worries ALL day and expect to get better. WE can somewhat control our thoughts, we can distract ourselves, we can shoo away neg thoughts and so on. It's not easy but it can be done. I'm not one for meds, and I refuse to take them, so it wasn't an option for me. However if I got to the point where I thought I was hearing voices or had CONSTANT irrational thoughts, and didn't trust myself, then I'd probably reconsider. Do you go to church? If so, find someone who can pray with you.

Hang in there! Every day is a new day

Last edited by kingskid; 10-27-2006 at 01:30 PM. Reason: typo

Closed Thread