It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2007, 09:01 AM   #1
(male)

Gar2007 HB User
I am a hypochondriac and Im sick because of it

I have a real bad health anxiety issue. I have been having nausea and loss of appetite for about three months now. I have had many tests done such as Abdomen ultrasound, HIDA scan, CAT scan, blood work and chest and stomach xrays. The only thing they found was my pancreas was slightly inflamed in the blood work and my doc says I have a small intestine motility issue. I myself and everyone I know says all the worrying over the past 7 years I have done caused me to be like this. Can being anxious about your health make you sick? Has anyone had anything similiar happen to them like this before?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2007, 10:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User
Re: I am a hypochondriac and Im sick because of it

Hi Gar,
I too had similar problems like you. I found out I have G.A.D. known as "general anxiety disorder" ( do a search on it) you'll see it's different than other forms of anxiety. I don't get panic attacks at all so it's different than other forms of anxiety.
what it does though is being that we're overly sensitive we feel things more than others would. that's what a hemotologist told me. I kept going from doctor to doctor within a year and no one could find out why I was losing so much weight. I lost 20 something lbs in 6 months without even trying.
I had an enlarged lymphndoe on my neck as well. he said because I"m thin you can feel them more easily than others who are heavier.
he told me to get on an anti anxiety medicine and that it would help me. he said i"ve probably had it since my teens and just didn't know it.
it's an over worrying about everything. the mind is never quite and I worry about everything!!! I do have medical things wrong with me which we found out years later, but I have to admit the anti anxiety meds saved my life.
I feel so much better now and have calmed down immensly.
If you were a real hypochondriac, that means "fear of dying".
Do you have a fear of dying?
I don't. that's the difference between being a hypochondriac and really feeling sick, yet a dr can't find anything wrong with the patient.
so they then think it may be something mental rather than physical.
but to me the mind and body are all one.
your mind CAN make you sick. If you do constant research on the internet about diseases, you will see things that can relate to you and then you think you may have that disease. so be very careful what you read.
the thing is you may feel really sick and if a dr can't find what's wrong with you, you then go to a different dr which then you begin to feel you may be a hypochondriac when really you're not. you just want to feel better.
some cases are harder to find than others. that's why they have detectives of medicine. I call them "internists".
I really hope I was able to shine some light on your situation. don't ever feel you're being a hypochondriac. the difference is, a hypocondriac doesnt' know they're one. the same thing with people who are "crazy". they don t' know they're crazy. only the people around them can see they are.
so don't worry. I pray that they're able to help you find an answer to your problem so that you can enjoy life peacefully and happily.
let me know if you need to talk. I'm here for you anytime.

sincerely,
Linda

oh, ps. general anxiety disorder IS a real illness and can cause havoc on your health and the organs in your body. the person needs to be seen by a doctor to get them better before they're health gets worst.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2007, 04:43 PM   #3
(male)

Gar2007 HB User

Well, I think I have everything medically wrong with me everytime I read something. I do somewhat have a fear of dying. I know I need to stop reading things online. The other part of me worries about EVERYTHING, and I mean everything and I was unhappy with my personal life for 7 years and I think it just took a toll on my body. I have seen about 4-5 doctors. One told me if I didnt stop worrying about things whether it be medically or personal I would get sick.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:35 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User

thanks for your reply Gar.
Did any of your doctors suggest you be put on an anti-anxiety medicine to help you?
I swear it works. I was against taking any type of medicine for many many years. I fought it for some reason. when I finally gave in and I saw the improvement of my mind and how I didn't worry about things anymore.

I wished then that I had listened to my family, my doctors and coworkers. because it restored my life. it brought back my happiness and my joy for the things in life that before I never seemed to take notice of.

I never noticed the butterflies or the pretty birds singing out my window. I never took notice of the sun rising or setting. I never noticed the beautiful flowers that were in bloom and worst of all, I cringed at the thought of any type of holiday that required my presence to have to socialize with anyone, including my family and kids.

I couldn't concentrate long enough to even get thru a paragraph in a book. my mind would be thinking of other things and chattering away in my mind. it was as if my mind was on fire. constantly spitting off thoughts and worries of the world and my problems. which only made my life worst than it really was.
and YES, I too had to give up surfing the medical sites on the internet so I didn't think I was dying of cancer or some horrible disease.
because your mind can make you so sick that you really do feel you have some terminal illness and you begin to start thinking that maybe the doctors are misdiagnosing us.
medical students who are studying diseases actually get a syndrome from the things they study. they begin to start feeling the symptoms of the diseases they study. I forgot the term for this syndrome, but it really does exist.
it's really really phenominal how the mind works.
watch it. you'll see what I'm talking about. the more aware you become of what your mind is doing, the quicker you'll learn how to stop the mind from having a mind of it's own.. LOL

I wish you the best. hang in there. at least you notice you have a problem with this. otherwise you'd continue living in a way you're not happy with.

sincerely,
Linda

Closed Thread