It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2008, 12:37 PM   #1
(female)

Kim845 HB User
Hypochondria is just getting worse...

I can logically understand that I am a Hypochondriac, but when in a situation of thinking of my health, I am irrational and get extremely paranoid. It has gotten to the point where I can not listen to anyone else talking about their health problems because I'll start to develope some of the same symptoms out of stress! I have had episodes of vertigo when thinking about my health or being put in the situation of a doctor's visit or going to the hospital.
Not a day goes by where I am not thinking about my health...
I am only 18 years old, I am a physically healthy, young female. I have a past of medical problems which were left undiagnosed for about a year or so because of stubborn doctors. I am in constant fear and in need of reassurance almost all the time.
I am desperate for help. I am afraid to take anti-anxiety medication because of side-effects; that's how serious this Hypochondria is. I won't eat certain foods...I can't even talk about this without feeling extremely anxious and almost about to break.

Would an in-patient mental hospital stay help at all? Maybe they could convince me, somehow, that I need medication or can some way help me...
Has anyone gotten help with Hypochondria/Hospital phobia from a mental institution?

Old 01-24-2008, 12:59 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

LINDA505 HB User
Re: Hypochondria is just getting worse...

Kim845,
It sounds like you have more of a post-traumatic stress thing going on. You mentioned that you have an unresolved medical thing that happened. I am assuming that you never received a diagnosis so your hypochondria is manifesting from that. Listen you are 18 and in good health. If you have gotten a clean bill of health be reassured that you are healthy. Anxiety can cause a variety of medical symptoms that look like you have something wrong when it is only your anxiety. I understand your fears as I have them as well but I am 55 yrs old not 18. Please do not let this take over your life.
That will cause you undo medical problems such as panic attacks, stomach ulcers, etc. It is unneccessary for you to go through this. Go talk with a therapist to see where this phobia began and maybe you can get a handle on it before it gets out of control. Talk to someone , your mother anyone you trust. I use to think if you said your fear out loud it will come true. It doesn't. You will be fine....enjoy your youth. You'll have enough to worry about when you get older.

Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2008, 11:00 PM   #3
(male)

anders15 HB User

You can talk to me as I am 17 gonna be 18 in two months and deal with the same exact thing. I went through a football injury which resulted in my spleen being taken out when i was 15 and i've recovered back to 100% as they said I would. My problem has nothing to do with my spleen though, they have tried to convince me it is PTSD but I know it is not. I've been to countless doctors had countless tests and still think I am dying everyday and it's taking a HUGE toll on my body. I still play all sports but I'm constantly worried about my health and my next doctor visit and I get really bad stomach cramps which results in me passing out. I've had almost every test possible done and still feel like I am dying I need a ton of reassurance, but I don't know who to turn to but God, because the doctors just look at me like I am stupid whenever they see my blood work and CT's and MRI's are all fine. It's a horrible way to live your life and each day I get agonizing symptoms that don't ever seem like they will deminish. The only difference from me and you is that I do take meds, I take klonopin everyday and Ambien to sleep sometimes. Tell me exactly how you feel when your like this?

Last edited by ms_mod; 01-25-2008 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 01-25-2008, 10:55 AM   #4
(female)

Kim845 HB User

I feel like my body is somehow crushing together and I can't breathe. I choke on my tongue a little bit, my palms sweat, I feel almost like I am freezing, I am irrational in my thoughts, I panic...
It's almost like anything logical I've ever said was taken away and there is not a single thought that will save me. I can't even listen to friends/family/whoever talk about THEIR health because I get extremely paranoid.

Last edited by ms_mod; 01-25-2008 at 06:52 PM.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:55 PM   #5
(female)

likesacookie HB User

I know how you feel. I've had issue after issue go undiagnosed. I was finally diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. It was great to have an answer to some of my symptoms and to find out that it wasn't all in my head. But now, I have hypochondria so whenever I have some symptom that is fairly clearly related to the Fibro, I am TERRIFIED that it is something else. Usually cancer. That's my main fear.

I've also suffered from general anxiety and depression. I was hesitant to take anything for it for the same reason that you are. I finally decided to do something about it and tried something that came highly recommended for my issues. One of those meds that sounds like it will treat whatever ails you. Instead of feeling better within a month, like they say you should, I thought I was going to die the first day I took it. There was a list of about 100 side effects on the sheet that came with the meds. I had almost every one of the most common and the semi-common side effects. Nothing specifically life threatening, but I felt terrible and suffered medical issues for about a month because of it. I'm not telling you this to scare you. So as you can imagine, I was terrified of trying anything else.

Well, recently my depression reached a high point and I was becoming suicidal. I was terrified to leave my room because "something bad" might happen. Every twinge of pain I experienced was further evidence that I was dying of cancer. I decided to try meds again. This time I got Paxil. Now, I know it's not right for everybody, but I chose that one because of the small list of side effects and the fact that none of the common ones were too scary. I can deal with a little queasiness, a little sleepiness. Today is my second day on them, and I feel like a million dollars. I found out I'm short on money and I didn't have another breakdown. I just readjusted my budget like a normal, healthy person would do. I don't feel like I'm dying. My anxiety isn't completely gone yet, but it's only the second day. It says it takes 1-4 weeks to work. My point is, though, that you shouldn't be afraid of the side effects. You might have some bad ones from one pill, and if that's the case, just stop taking it. Don't give up.

Last edited by ms_mod; 01-25-2008 at 06:53 PM.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:37 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

itburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB User

Hi,
Listen, if your mind is strong and focused enough to bring on illness, I bet it can do the reverse as well. Go and get the secret on dvd, or the audio book. Listen or watch it over and over again. Your mind is functioning and seems very strong!! It just seems like your a negative thinker and down in the dumps. Not to sound funny, change your diet, your body can not feed in c.r.a.p. (condenssed food,refined sugar, acetominophen,processed foods) and steer far away from caffiene. If you can get your body moving at least 30 minutes a day. Drink 8 full glasses of water a day. Try this for at least one solid week and see if you feel better. It wont hurt!! It is not uncommon what you are going through, unfortunately. You are young so maybe you can get a grasp on it now, beat it, and you will be some wonderful coping adult!! Good luck

Closed Thread