It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2008, 04:10 AM   #1
(male)

gazmix HB User
Hypochondriac seeks MOT

Hi
I am suffer from anxiety & the odd bout of depression & i drink too much!
I have had a liver test which my doc said was fine, although i still believe i have something wrong in that department as i have an ache & stich whilst running, but doc says it's probably posture, as i gained a little weight even though i exercise regularly by running, cycling & football!

If i get a mouth ulcer, i think its cancer, if i get a pain or twinge or imaginery lump, i dread the worst!

In the UK, is it possible to see a GP & get a full medical MOT? I guess i've tryed with no success. But then again, there will most probably be something after that to worry about!
Any advice on hypochondria v realistic illness worries?.

Thanks

Gaz

Last edited by gazmix; 03-12-2008 at 04:12 AM.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User
Re: Hypochondriac seeks MOT

Hi Gaz, is it possible that you are anxious about something else that is causing you to direct the anxiety towards your health? Something else that you are avoiding dealing with?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2008, 09:58 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Gaz, drinking too much can also cause depression, did you know that? Alcohol is a depressant and if you drink too much it certainly doesn't help. It also is empty calories that will help to add weight even if you are exercising regularily.

How about trying some therapy to get rid of the anxiety? That might help with the depression also....

Old 03-12-2008, 06:20 PM   #4
(male)

gazmix HB User

Yeh, i know, i don't know why i posted! I like a drink, i know i shouldn't complain about weight gain if i drink & eat late, but i tend to do that & always have done! Maybe now as i have hit my age of 34, it's harder to do as i did & keep the same shape! I used to drink & eat & stay the same size, it just seems to have happened overnight that i gained weigh on my chest & tummy!

The issue is, my drink problem is still there & the need to fulfill my need, is growing & yet the more i drink the more i put on weight! I guess i'm looking for a magic wand that don't exist.
I am anxious about everything. I see a psychiatrist & councelor. I take meds, but i know all my answers are in me, nobody can do it for me, just me & i'm scared i can't!
gaz

Old 03-13-2008, 05:48 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazmix View Post
i know all my answers are in me, nobody can do it for me, just me & i'm scared i can't!
Wise words Gaz. Are you making any progress with your counselor? Do you think that you are afraid to face some things?

Old 03-13-2008, 07:44 AM   #6
(male)

gazmix HB User

i'm just in a state of needing to stop for myself. I talk with my councelor but that don't stop me going to the store.
i don't seem to find anything in life that makes me happy at all. Not real happiness anyway.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:53 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
i'm just in a state of needing to stop for myself. I talk with my councelor but that don't stop me going to the store.
Hi Gaz, what are you needing to stop? Why do you need to stop going to the store? What is MOP anyway? If you have anxieties that are causing you distress it is hard to feel happy with those in the way. Been there, done that. Are you drinking to drown out your feelings?

Old 03-13-2008, 09:16 AM   #8
(male)

gazmix HB User

I am drinking because i'm lonely, i've tried many times to stop & only ever have done when in a relationship & been given ultimatum.
I drink to escape reality for a while & get high! It's sad i know!
My doc says i'm not alcoholic as i don't drink in the day & i always eat after!
I find myself going to the store to buy drink, even though i feel it doing me no good! I think i am dependent & have told my doc & he gave me a Liver test which he said was ok, but i still think i have something wrong with me!
I am anxious & paranoid that i have a liver problem,cance, i dunno, just worried!
An MOT is a English term for a car service, but i use the term for a full body check up!!
I am scared about how vulnerable & precious our bodies are & i'm poisoning mine.
gaz

Old 03-13-2008, 11:15 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

You know, if you feel that you need to drink, that is an alcoholic. If you can't stop yourself from buying and consuming, that is alcoholism. You don't have to get falling down stupid drunk to be an alcoholic. If that is what you doc thinks he needs to rethink his ideas. If you can't go a day without thinking about a drink......it's something to consider. And drinking to escape is a crutch. But you know that already, don't you?

Old 03-14-2008, 11:04 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
I am drinking because i'm lonely
I drink to escape reality for a while
Hi Gaz, so your therapist isn't helping you to deal with reality?

Old 03-15-2008, 02:37 PM   #11
(male)

gazmix HB User

I see my councellor, i speak from week to week about things, my depressed life, my lack of motivation, my disinterest in life, my lack of job, work & addiction to relationships & falling apart when rejected, but no magic wand as yet!

Each day i get up feeling crap & say i won't drink tonight, i then feel better in afternoon, go running, think about what to cook that night & then go buying my drinks to get the party for 1 going!
My doc says if i once stopped for 4 months, as i dia, i'm not an alcoholic! I feel i am, as i'm sat here now with wine & vodka, knowing full well i'm going to be feeling bad tomorrow.
I saw another doc yesterday who examined me & said my liver is ok, not enlarged, my kidney too & that if i carry on with what i'm drinking, i will have issues in the future! So why can i sit here drinking tonight! I'm addicted & even with being faced with what the future holds, i carry on & am so scared!

Old 03-17-2008, 07:47 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Gaz, does your counselor give you any insight and info into your situation or does she just sit and listen? Do you feel like you have control over your life or does life just happen?

Old 03-17-2008, 08:32 AM   #13
(male)

gazmix HB User

My councelor is a psychoanalytic therapist who tries to get me to understand how i am now via analising my past. I first went because of a breakdown after a relationship ended. I was cutting myself & was confused, hurt, never did anything, panic attacks, anxiety.
We talk about my life, that all my life i've been an anxious person, from when i was crying at school , didn't want seperation, have big problems with rejection & needing to feel loved by people other than my family.
My life just happens, i fear each day, the days that are eventful, i dread, but when they are over, i feel glad i did them.
I wish i could be happy in the way that i have a goal & a direction, but i don't.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:40 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Gaz, I see. I got better with results coming pretty quickly with therapies that focus on the here and now and not the past. With these therapies I kept myself always focused on the here and now (present) to understand how I felt at the moment and what in the environment was affecting my feelings at that time. I would then work on that. The therapy is called CBT or Cognitive Behavioral therapy. I would try to understand my thoughts and feelings around my issues and figure out why I had them and then with insight from the therapist either throw out the thoughts or change them because they were the cause of my troubles. Of course the thoughts developed because of the dysfunctinal environment that I grew up in. Some examples were working on my self-worth and personal boundaries, among many others.

Last edited by Sannah; 03-17-2008 at 08:41 AM.

Closed Thread