It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2008, 04:29 AM   #1
(male)

ataglance HB User
hypochondria and constant pain

hey guys

so ive been told i have health anxiety which is the same as being a hypochondriac by my psychologist. Where ever i get pain i think its something serious. I always thought i had something wrong with my heart but i got over that for a while. Its back again now. All my symptoms are also symptoms of heart disease. I have constant arm, shouldr and back pain along with occasional chest pinches on my left pec. They are never simultaneous, when one stops then next replaces it. Anyone else have this problem

Old 04-09-2008, 07:36 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

supermom3 HB User
Re: hypochondria and constant pain

Hi!

I have Health Anxiety - my anxiety is thinking "what if I have cancer and don't know it?" - Every time I have an ache, pain, twinge, etc., I think cancer. It drives me nuts!!! It's easy for people to say "stop thinking like that"~ Of course, these are friends and loved ones who don't have OCD like I do, health anxiety, etc.

I do see a therapist which helps, but it's hard - if it were dogs, flying, etc., that I had anxiety about, I could be exposed to those things to get over my fear. (Does that make sense?)

I've had occasional pains in my left pec muscle (between my breast and armpit) and I've been to 2 doctors, asked for a referral for an ultrasound, and they say "there's nothing to ultrasound", (so in other words, "no"). They say "cancer doesn't hurt", and I have no other symptoms. My armpits are sore from my constant checking this week.

I have a wonderful husband and three awesome kids, and I hate the fact that I spend time and energy on this crap!

Thanks for listening. Please reply if you'd like.

supermom3

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2008, 07:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

confused32 HB User

I also have heart anxiety. I have been obsessed with this for over 2 years now, everyday!!! I have had testing done once a year and everything shows my heart is fine. I worry they are missing something and my pains are a sign of a blockage. I suffer from different pains each day. It can be any kind of pain and i automatically think its my heart. Left arm/elbow pain, chest pain, dizziness, nausea, sob, left sided jaw pain. They dont always come together sometimes they do. I worry 24/7 about this. I tried anxiety classes, they didnt work. I just cant get it out of my head that there is something wrong with my heart. Most people get aches and pains and dont think twice about them, not me it sends me into panic usually. I definatly know how you feel.

Confused

Old 04-09-2008, 09:00 AM   #4
(female)

chicoutimi HB User

I have had a lot of the same experiences as people responding to this thread! I've had CT scans, x-rays, blood work, you name it! All because I was afraid some pain (real or imagined) was a sign of something serious that might kill me in my sleep. I tend to worry about other things now, but the same scary, often irrational thought process is the same!

Old 04-09-2008, 08:16 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

hotdam HB User

I have felt everything all of you are going through, I also have health anxiety (heart), there were times I would drive myself insane thinking about if I am going to die in my sleep, every pain i felt I convinced myself it was something serious, I know it is hard for all of us, I have had all the tests done too and everything is ok. I take xanax and lexapro, work out everyday and so far so good.

God bless

Old 04-10-2008, 03:52 AM   #6
(male)

ataglance HB User

thanks for your replies, def helps. I have had plenty of tests done, all coming back fine. Its hard to stay rational about this though. I mainly only get them when i have time to think about things. I have to start telling myself 'Surely if it was your heart you'd feel these pains whilts exercising and they'd last longer than a few seconds'. I guess the part that scares me most is the impending doom feeling. I love life so much that thinking of death just flaws me.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:35 PM   #7
(male)

Raider72 HB User

having the same problems right now, I have aches and pains in my legs and arms, they come and go, usually only when I'm relaxed, when I'm busy at work or doing other stuff I dont feel anything, which is telling me it's all in my head, and yes it's difficult and driving me insane! I'm not having any anxiety though, just constant thinking and worrying!

Old 04-10-2008, 04:50 PM   #8
(female)

bones323 HB User

I do the same thing!!! I have put myself through hell with the worrying. I lost both my parents and Grandparents at an early age and every time I get a pain whether it is a pulled muscle, cramp or gas I think I have cancer. Last year before my annual paptest, I got myself so worked up a month prior to the visit, I had such bad stomach pains couldn't breathe, couldn't have a bowel movement, so I called my PCP and he sent me for all these tests for breathing and stomach, Like a barium enema!!!! Never want to do that again, the tests all came back normal!!! My PCP suggested I go On Paxil to help with anxiety and worry!! I felt like a freak! but it made me a new person!!! It is a chemical inbalance that we can't control. I am on a low dose 20mg.
It is worth looking into! Stress can really cause problems!!!Good luck

Old 04-11-2008, 04:54 AM   #9
(male)

ataglance HB User

Its hard because im not sure if my aches and pain are a result from worrying all the time or is my brain just being super sensitive about pains that i would of overlooked instantly previously? I may be in a good mood relaxing then ill ahve a pain then i worry, not worry then a pain. Does anyone's pain last for a few seconds and feels like a pinch or stab type pain? This is what all my aches feel like around my chest, arm, back etc

Old 04-11-2008, 05:14 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

confused32 HB User

Mine usually last longer than just a quick second. I can be fine also then i start having any kind of pain quick or lasting a while and i go into panic mode.

Old 04-13-2008, 01:13 AM   #11
(female)

mary63 HB Usermary63 HB User

Hi there folks- feel like i have just found my family, reading all your threads...
It so sucks being this way doesn't it? I feel i have wasted so much of my life with my diseases... i remember reading a book about some disease-tetanus i think- i was only about 12.. and then getting the "symptoms" or watching a movie about someone with polio and then getting the stiff neck and panicking without hours of watching it. From around age 22 til very recently ( now 44) i have had the good old heart anxiety. Just hellish is all i can say when its bad...i am so sorry anyone has to go through this...including the gp and ER people that help! they have always been so amazing. The irony is that one day i really will have something and no-one will believe it....In between being busy with heart "probs" have also had time to think i had brain tumour, cancer, and motor neurone disease..
Amazing i get anything else done!!!
Sometimes i think i wish some disease would just kill me to get away from this but of course thats silly. last year i sat awake 1 night with these terrifying feelings in my arms that i decided must be cardiac- had to get myself an edg and blood tests to be convinced....
How do you all cope??

Old 04-13-2008, 03:35 AM   #12
(male)

ataglance HB User

yer mary im very similar, that i wil find some serious illness and my body mimics the symptoms of that disease. Had pulsing in my stomach and lower pains in my back, thought i had an aneuyrsm. The heart pains are now back, i have all the symptoms for it aswell, sore chest, arm, back, neck that vary in degree from stabbing to dull aches. Im constantly thinking i will drop off very soon, god forbid i actually do have something serious.

How do i deal with it? I have no idea, i usually just try to find something that will keep my mind focused eg i have no pains playong basketball because im too focused on winnning

Old 04-14-2008, 03:39 AM   #13
(female)

mary63 HB Usermary63 HB User

Yes thankgoodness for distraction!! do you feel worse at certain times of day?
I feel worse on weekends- more time to dwell i guess..if you let yourself eh! Do you take meds?

Last edited by ms_mod; 04-14-2008 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 04-14-2008, 06:08 PM   #14
(male)

ataglance HB User

No, no particluar time or day is a constant, varies all the time. And no im not on meds. My GP and pyshclogoist think i can get rid of it without them. Hopefully

Old 04-15-2008, 12:17 PM   #15
(female)

sugarmags HB User

I just joined today and read your thread. It was like I wrote it. Sharp pains for no reason, worries about a heart attack. I am miserable every minute of every day. I don't know how much longer I can take it.

Closed Thread