It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2008, 03:58 PM   #1
(female)

berriepie HB User
CBT for hypochondria/anxiety/stress

Hi there,

Just wondering, has anyone had Cognitive Behavioural Therapy to deal with issues such as general anxiety (get stressed/anxious about everything) as well as mild depression and hypochondria? Im 18 and have been to my doctor several times with different aches and pains and eventually she suggested CBT. I have been diagnosed with chronic tension headaches and TMJ and my anxiety makes this 10 times worse! I just feel like i am stuch in a big black hole with no where to go and i just want to start all over again.

Any success stories?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2008, 05:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User
Re: CBT for hypochondria/anxiety/stress

Twenty years ago I had job stress anxiety on a fairly new job (been there two weeks) where I was an administrative assistant to a group of people. I got so stressed and anxious that I was about ready to quit when I got the idea to do the behavioral therapy.

After being recommended to a therapist, we had one on one sessions twice a week. The most important thing she taught me was *boundaries*. She let me see that my trying to please everyone I worked under and not being able to do everything was what was giving me the anxiety (I even got sent to the emergency room once because I thought I was having a heart attack).

She helped me work through ways to draw mental boundaries and verbal ones where something was not possible. She asked me to think of worst case scenario. I did not snap to a command for one particular person that I would get fired? Then if that happened, it was not the job for me. Just examples of things I learned and I was able to deal with the job.

I worked there for five and a half years, and would still be working there if we had not needed to move to where we are now out of that state.

I really recommend it. It changed my perspective on control and control is a major cause of conflict when you have anxiety.

Lindaru

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2008, 08:44 AM   #3
(female)

berriepie HB User

Thanks for the reply Lindaru!

Im really glad it worked out for you! I hadn't heard of it until my doctor mentioned it, but she said it was really good for changing the way you think and see things. Gosh i wish i could explain all that i feel. My main problem is that whenever i feel, for instince, a slight tingle in my leg, its a blood clot. and i will worry for days on end, not being able to eat or sleep until it goes away. I really want to stop this because its ruining my life

Any more success stories?

Old 03-27-2009, 11:29 AM   #4
(male)

johnathan9 HB User

i am also a severe hypochondriac, i had it really bad when i was 14 i missed months on end of school due to it. It went away for a while then came back recently, i lost my job over it and i am scared to tell my parents again or anyone for that matter. I recently started to get dizzy and began to worry a lott, but reading all these posts on here kind of makes me feel better, it is just anxiety dizziness, thep ast week though i have been doing nothing but laying on the couch worrying, the dizziness getting worse and not eating at all. I couldn't go out and party, or hang out with my friends, it sucks. I hope someone can help with a way to stop this thing cause i am sick of being this way, i want my life back.

Closed Thread