It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2008, 12:40 AM   #1
(female)

littlegee HB User
How do you know if you're a hypochondriac?

I'm having a bad night. I'm new here. I came to this site to get information about a diarrhea and vomiting problem I keep getting. I read a lot of different posts and I'm starting to freak out with worry about what's wrong with me. There are a lot of people with a lot of misery here. It's freaking me out a little bit.

Every board I see makes me think of some pain or problem I've had. I'm starting to wonder if I'm a hypochondriac. My heart is racing like crazy right now. Maybe this is the kind of place I should stay away from. Did anyone else feel this way when they first got here?

Old 09-26-2008, 09:09 AM   #2
(male)

mcadow530 HB User
Re: How do you know if you're a hypochondriac?

Thats why I'm here. I recently lost my 3 year old son and am having a hard time dealing with everything. Since his death, I've been put on Xanex and I freak out about any little pain I feel in my body. I was trying to see if maybe being a hypo is a side effect of stress

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2009, 07:09 PM   #3
(female)

poutjesi HB User

I know I am a hypochondriac...its not necessarily a bad thing, you learn alot of new things and a couple times I have actually been right. But it is very stressful and can make you go insane. I would say that if you have an overwhelming need to research every little thing that is wrong with you, so much so that it makes you feel worse, then you probably are. Infact, I came to the website to see if I could figure out what was wrong with me. So I don't know. It could be a good thing, or a bad thing. Depends on what you make of it.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:18 PM   #4
(female)

BlueMolly2009 HB User

I'm not a hypocondriac, but I notice lately I've been more sensitive with different pains I get and I come to boards like this and other places online and read things that freak me out so much I go to the ER. I've been to the ER 11 times since February with different pains and issues that I should go see my doctor about. I did find out I have gallstones, fibroids and ovarian cysts because of my trips to the ER. I've learned to try to deal with pain and if I start vomiting, have diarrhea that doesn't stop for a few days or have a really high fever, I'm going to just call the doctor and see what she says. I'm going to a general surgeon on Thursday to discuss my gallstones.
I'd say stop looking at stuff online and if you have really bad medical issues to consult a doctor. I'm glad though that there are places like this, because I found out that I am not the only person with some medial issues. I will use places like this as a support group and not look for medical advice. But this is just me.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:11 AM   #5
(female)

acne_sufferer HB User

That just sounds like anxiety. That doesnt make a hypochondriac. A hypochondriac is someone who thinks they have all sorts of diseases

Old 06-14-2009, 12:24 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

Yes this is not the site for you but probably the best indicator is that by now (if you are older) someone has at sometime said to you that they think you are a hypochondriac....they of course might present it in a non threatening way or in joking but still they did give you a heads up. My son was one at very early age and once i figured there was nothing I'd just ignore his recent medical issues....Otherwise a hypochondriac can suck the life right out of you. He is married with many kids so now his wife can deal with all those goofy issues thank goodness. There was ALWAYS something he thought he had.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:07 AM   #7
(female)

BlueMolly2009 HB User

I realized that probably I was becoming a hypocondriac after my computer crashed. I was going to so many health related sites that I started freaking myself out and then going to the ER or the doctors. I feel better now, because I know that everything is fine, except my gallbladder, which is going to be taken out on July 22nd. Most of the symptoms I've had so far are all related to it. My heart's fine and I know I have fiboids, which I've lived with for a number of years.
You got to step back and relax. It took my computer dying to figure out that I was starting to have a problem.

Closed Thread