It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2009, 10:12 AM   #1
(male)

johnathan9 HB User
how can i get rid of hypochondria?

i am also a hypochondriac since i was 14, i am now 21. Lately i have been panicking so much i have started to get dizzy, and thing something is wrong with my head, i have not had an m.r.i or been to a phsyciatrist because it is just anxiety dizziness, but i was always scared of having something wrong with my head or heart or eyes etc, i just wish there was a way to beat this thing if anyone has a solution please post it. thank you

Old 03-27-2009, 11:40 AM   #2
(female)

Aletam HB User
Re: how can i get rid of hypochondria?

i wish i could help but honestly i am going through the same thing....the best thing for me as weird as it mey sound is i talk to people about it and some people tell me how it is in a way that makes me believe them and stop worrying for a little while....it has really helped me....i dont know if this will help but like i said t helps sometimes for me

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2009, 09:59 PM   #3
(female)

tulum HB Usertulum HB User

Only we can help ourselves, not anyone else that is why leaning on others only helps for a short while.

We have to truly believe what we tell ourselves for anything to be effective.

There is no one treatment that works for everyone. We have to find what works for us.

However, there are some things we can do that usually help out a majority of people sometimes.

With hypochondria, I believe the best thing is distraction. Refuse to give in to your need to research your "illness" or going to get checked, checking yourself etc.

Do not give your anxiety power. Acknowledge its presence but do not listen to what it tells you to do. example: my anxiety is telling me to sit on the computer and look for a cure BUT I am going to watch a movie instead.
or, my anxiety is telling me to sit on the couch and dwell on these strange sensations I am feeling BUT I am going to go to call my friend instead.

You have to get up that instant and do something else.

Another good distraction tool I learned about here I believe through another post is when the thoughts take over, bring yourself back to the present time by continually looking around and repeating what you see with description (out loud or in your mind) until you are calm again. For example, when the thoughts begin or are spiraling, look around the room you are sitting in (or outdoors or wherever) and say, red wall, big TV, soft blanket, laundry basket, high ceiling, bright light etc until you feel calm again.

Another good technique is thought stopping- when your mind begins to worry, picture a huge STOP sign in great detail and think or say stop continually to break the thought spiral.

If you start worrying about some illness, pain etc, distract yourself by doing something you like. Think, ok, I am feeling this and I don't care much for it but it is there and I need to do _(blank)__ right now so I will worry about it later.

Gradually over time the anxiety and obsession over health will dissipate.

Stay busy in the moment and live life- you may be too idle and have time on your hands meaning that you need to fill the empty spaces with things to do. You need to live.

Tough things to do but worth it.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:36 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User

From what i hear a good benzo with CBT and maybe an anti-depressant.
Tulum is on the right track, but you learn that all from CBT.

Last edited by ms_mod; 03-28-2009 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary comments. Ms_Mod

Closed Thread