It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2009, 10:10 AM   #1
(female)

highanddry HB User
Hypochondria

Does anyone else suffer from hypochondria? Mine has been really bad lately. Right now I think I have colon cancer and that I have a brain aneurysm that hasn't ruptured yet. A couple of days ago I thought I had swine flu but my doctor said I didn't.

What's even worse is that I get anxiety attacks when I go to the doctor so I can't even go to do the doctor to make sure everything's okay. This has been ruining my life

Old 05-05-2009, 01:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
Re: Hypochondria

Ummm ya! There are plenty of us with this. Including me! I am so sorry you are dealing with this. It is a horrible thing to have. I have come to the conclusion that mine is kind of considered OCD. I have compulsive thoughts of being afraid to die, afraid I am going to catch a disease, I am afraid of going to the doctors office and afraid of taking medications, (Also of flying!) and it is ruining my life. Today I had a meltdown about all this. And I just can't figure out how I became this way.

I hope you can find the help that you need. Here to talk anytime you want! Hang in there! It's not easy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2009, 05:20 PM   #3
(female)

PAUSA HB User

I'm with both of you. For whatever reason mine has been awful lately. I'm having a hard time doing my daily activities because of it and I feel like I'm missing out on so much of my life and wonderful things that could be so rewarding and enjoyable. I've had pretty much every test known to man for my head and my heart and they have all come back normal and I am so not convinced. Lately my major fears are that I feel like I can't breathe right or get enough air, that there is something wrong with my heart and I'm going to die suddenly, and just death and dying in general. I'm terrified and I just feel like crying about it because I'm so scared and frustrated. <I DON'T KNOW> what to do. I'm so afraid of medicine that I won't take anything my doctor prescribes other than Xanax and I feel like that isn't even really working for me that much lately which only makes me more worried and anxious. I have a lot of ocd tendencies so that probably makes it worse. It's terrible. It's to the point where I feel like no one can help me. I've seen so many therapists and read so much about it and I'm getting worse with my fears, not better. We can all use all the support we can get right now I think. Best of luck to everyone

Last edited by Mod-S4; 07-26-2011 at 11:18 AM. Reason: As per the posting rules, always use whole, real words in your posts.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:40 PM   #4
(female)

Mable08 HB User

Thanks for sharing your stories. It seems like I am not the only one.... I have been thinking of taking meds for my anxiety and depression, but the fear of side effects made me more worried and anxious....
But I guess if your anxiety/hypochondria gets to the point where physical symptoms are obvious and affecting your life, take some medications might be a good choice.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:29 PM   #5
(female)

Aletam HB User

i suffer from it as well.....i have worried about colon cancer and an unruptured brainaneurysm as well.....i take meds but got the bright idea it would be a good thing to quit and now have started again....i do get the side effects....i get heart palps but im sure it will go away...the first time my heart pounded so hard it woke me up at night and it went away within a week.....these symptoms do go away however so you should not worry about the side effects....they will come but they will also go away!

Old 05-06-2009, 03:47 PM   #6
(female)

highanddry HB User

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one suffering from hypochondria! I am in the process of finding a psychologist right now so hopefully that will help.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:19 PM   #7
(female)

mitchellk HB User

you are definitely not alone.
on a daily basis im scared of having a ruptured blood clot, aneurysm, heart attack.. it completely controls my entire life. eventhough everybody in my family has no cancer, heart issues nothing at all.. and ive been classified as a bill of health ..every single day my mom or telehealth gets a call regarding my next heart attack.

feel better <3 you are not alone

Old 06-08-2009, 09:01 PM   #8
(male)

letmelive HB User

[QUOTE=Aletam;3976578]i have worried about colon cancer and an unruptured brainaneurysm as well.....QUOTE]

wow i'm that is pretty funny lol. I just got over myself thinking I had colon cancer.. I thought I had it for a while.. Also when I heard what a brain aneurysm was I was freaked out by that and though I might have one whenever I had a head ache.. We are all just crazy paranoid people huh? I'm glad to see everyone has similar problems here. wish you all luck!

Last edited by letmelive; 06-08-2009 at 09:02 PM.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:49 PM   #9
(male)

hypochondriac27 HB User

I got paranoid that I was going to have a heart attack, so i started taking aspirin everyday. I then got paranoid about the aspirin causing internal bleeding. I can't stop taking it though because i read that stopping daily aspirin can actually increase the risk of a heart attack or stroke. damned if I do, damned if I don't. I'm anxious that smoking cigerettes is killing me but anxious that quitting will cause me to have an anxiety attack. I'm scared of taking any medication and scared of not taking any medication. What a nut!

Old 06-09-2009, 11:48 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

plasva HB User

I'm glad someone started this thread, because I worry needlessly about health issues I "might have," and I am thinking that is really common. There are only 2 diseases I'm afraid of, and I feel as long as I don't come down with those, I could handle anything else... just not those 2 please (one runs in the family, and the other is just my personal fear...)
So funny, in a way.

Last edited by ms_mod; 06-10-2009 at 05:57 AM.

Closed Thread