HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Hypochondria (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/hypochondria/)
-   -   Severe Hypochondria...Eating away my life...I am experiencing a bout right now... (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/hypochondria/695272-severe-hypochondria-eating-away-my-life-i-am-experiencing-bout-right-now.html)

John_33 05-28-2009 10:22 PM

Severe Hypochondria...Eating away my life...I am experiencing a bout right now...

Hello friends,

I've been on this website for a few years now and I've never shared my pain with anyone else before. I have severe hypochondria and it is ruining my life. It has been ruining my life for many years now. I become OBSESSED over diseases and begin researching them on ***** and other websites, over and over again until the fear goes away after a few weeks. Then it's another fear that overcomes my life and totally destroys me. It is so frustrating and painful. I just don't know what to do really. I've never told anyone this before.

Here are my current fears. Neurofibromatosis and Muscle dystrophy. I have scoliosis and multiple lipomas which runs in my family. Guess what? The main symptoms of Neurofibromas are skeletal abnormalities and neurofibromas. I swear to you that for the past 3 weeks I've been researching the differences between a lipoma and neurofibroma. I haven't been able to get any answers. This fear went any slowly.

However, a few fear took its place. Yesterday for no reason I researched a disease I had seen on House MD. I am now obsessed with Muscle dystrophy. Some of these conditions occur during adulthood. I am 21. I am afraid. Even now I am making a list of all of the types of Muscle Dystrophies and researching symptoms.

I need help. I don't want to be drugged up. I am scared. I feel sick. I feel like as if I am rotting away from the inside.

Please help me,

CANEY GIRL 05-29-2009 12:47 PM

Re: Severe Hypochondria...Eating away my life...I am experiencing a bout right now...

Have you ever been on meds or recieved counceling?

Mandarra 05-29-2009 05:01 PM

Re: Severe Hypochondria...Eating away my life...I am experiencing a bout right now...

You really need to stop researching diseases. I have health anxiety also and I know the worse thing for me to do is go and read symtoms, they always give you the worst case senario. Do yourself a favor and stop self diagnosing. Start reading self help books that teach you how to think positive. Tell yourself that you are okay, even if you are scared. You are young and should be enjoying yourself.

Good luck.
Mary

Cheri1957 05-30-2009 08:47 AM

I agree with you. I have been having some health issues and found when I do research on the internet and see symptoms my anxiety gets the better of me. I have really been trying to stay off the internet. My problem is my drs haven't been able to come up with a diagnosis and that is what is driving me crazy.

dreamingdenali 05-30-2009 10:21 AM

As the previous poster said, STOP researching. It is in your power to stop. It only makes everything worse. I used to research constantly -- I was never really a hypochondriac but I became worried about food-borne illness (still am -- just ate a burrito, feel queasy, but am NOT allowing myself to research!!!)

Realize that your mind can wreak havoc on your body and make a lot of symptoms seem like they are more serious than they really are. Once you learn to calm your mind down and stop hyping yourself up with more info, you will feel better overall.