It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2009, 11:57 AM   #16
(male)

AnxiousJoe HB User
Re: Having Symptoms, need help/advice

I have severe anxiety around health issues, I'm obsessed with my heart, breathing, etc. My nose bleeds, I think I'm dying. I'm always thinking something is seriously wrong with me. The stories about going to the bathroom made me smile, because I've done the same thing. Always thinking the worst case scenario.

Unfortunately, chronic anxiety doesn't usually just go away without some form of treatment. I would really recommend that you inquire about seeing a therapist that specializes in anxiety disorders and see what treatment options they have for you. I understand that therapy can be very expensive and some insurance companies only give you a few appointments or they don't cover anything at all.

Remember you're not alone.

Best of luck,

Joe

Last edited by ms_mod; 11-16-2009 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 11-16-2009, 05:19 PM   #17
(male)

Octave HB User

Well I've developed hypochondria last year and started to get obsessed with my heart rate, which is faster than normal, probably from ADHD/hyperactivity, and being somewhat out of shape.

I don't think therapy is the best choice. Like you said, it is expensive, and I really don't have the money, hence why I rely on these boards a bit, because my mother thinks going to the doctor will be a waste of money.
I've went to the ER twice and a doctor's appointment in the beginning of this all (February) though. I honestly should get another check up, or update my medication.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2009, 04:05 AM   #18
(female)

Krenzelect HB User
Re: Hypochondria, Panic attack struck me with symptoms

I have TMJ and also get the headaches, neck pain. Jaw pain is the worse. Talk to your dentist because you don't want it to become worse. It also can make you feel dizzy.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:19 AM   #19
(female)

MoonlightChick HB User

I also suffer with bad health anxiety - i can dwell on it all day without a pause, and it makes me very depressed, affects my sleep and whole quality of life. so i really sympathize with you.

Here is a thought.. If you rely on the internet to cope and get reassurance, and google your symptoms a lot (i know i do!) - how about turning that around, instead start reading websites about positive thinking, healing health anxiety, and the bodies natural abilities to heal itself etc. I just tried googling 'mind body healing' and 'overcome negative thinking' which i feel would be far more worthwhile than googling symptoms (which always seem to end up telling you you have cancer).

If all of us with this problem can use our minds so powerfully to create ill health, then surely if we can think in a positive way we could have the same power to create good health?
Just food for thought! Best of luck, let us know how you go

Last edited by MoonlightChick; 11-17-2009 at 04:20 AM.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:40 AM   #20
(male)

Octave HB User

Thanks MoonlightChick.

I have one question if anyone is willing to take a shot at it.
What is the most effective, but least dangerous medication available?

Old 11-21-2009, 08:03 PM   #21
(female)

puddinpie03 HB User

I took Effexor at one time and really liked it. I eventually got off and it was hard to do.

Health related anxiety is very normal. I worry about my health all the time. I went through a couple of years where I focused on my heart and then that went away. Now I focus on my head. I always think every pain means tumor, cancer, anything. And now my anxiety has been causing mental sluggish-ness. I feel floaty too and out of whack. I teach school and sometimes I feel like I must have something wrong because I forget words, stumble out sentences... all the time.

Just know.. you are not alone.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:24 PM   #22
(female)

carrieann30 HB User

I am thirsty all the time also. Its part of my anxiety. I also have IBS and a huge list of symptoms from my anxiety. I feel like im on my death bed all the time. your not alone. the reason for the thirst is control. well that is what it is for me anyway oh ya also sweating will make you thirsty even if you dont think you are sweating alot check your feet lol im not kidding my feet sweat more then my hands when im in a panic... anywho hang in there you will be ok.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:15 PM   #23
(male)

gerg HB User

I too have suffered from hypochondria. I was convinced that something was wrong with my heart and/or lungs. I felt like I wasn't breathing enough and was constantly checking my pulse, which was often very high (close to 200 bpm). All of my medical tests came back normal and the doctors told me it was anxiety. I still thought that something was wrong and that the doctors must have missed something because I felt so awful and I couldn't do any of my normal daily activities that used to be no problem.
Then, after having more medical tests and repeated tests, which all came back normal, I just came to grips with the fact that it was anxiety.
The problem with us hypochondriacs and people with anxiety is the way we think when we are in an anxious state. It feels uncontrollable. We feel so awful and wish that we could feel so much better than we actually do. We try to combat the negative feelings with forceful thoughts of desiring to feel better immediately.
That's the problem. Think about a tree blowing in the wind. The tree does not fight the wind and push against it. Instead, it flows with the wind for a while, and when the wind goes away, the tree goes back to normal. It is all a part of nature and humans are as big a part of nature as it gets.
The point is, you need to just let the sensations take their course and flow through you without thinking about them in a negative light. We are like the trees and anxiety is like the wind. Accept the sensations. Let them happen. Don't try to fight it because the less you fear the sensations, the faster they will go away on their own.
<edit>

Cheers

Greg

Last edited by gerg; 11-24-2009 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Don't copy and paste material from other sources, as it may violate copyright laws. Ms_Mod

Old 12-01-2009, 01:11 PM   #24
(male)

vinito HB User

Hi Octave.
I haven't read through all the posts on this thread - having a little trouble focusing today. But I didn't see if you mentioned your age anywhere. Not that it can't happen at any age, but my doc told me that it's pretty typical of folks passing 40 to begin struggling with anxiety and hypochondria. I never had a problem with anxiety or hypochondria my whole life, but a couple years ago I started having mild chest pains once in a while, like I've had before because of maybe a bruise or stretched muscle or whatever, but that time it made me think I might be having a heart attack. So I couldn't quit thinking about it for a week and eventually it snowballed until I nearly passed out three times within an hour. So I drove myself to the hospital, by this time sure that I was having a heart attack, and obviously not thinking clearly to begin with proven by my choice to drive myself there. Genius.

So they kept me for observation and did some basic tests. Long story short, 16 hours and $7,000 later (obscene and disgraceful, but that's a whole 'nuther topic) plus missed work so more $$, they sent me home with a healthy heart and a diagnosis of panic attack. Point one: Anxiety can be expensive.

This makes a person feel stupid. That was a bad year anyway and 1/3 of that year's income got spent in less than 24 hours, all for something that a $15 prescription could have relieved for two months or so.

Stupid or not, I have been struggling with anxiety ever since. To me, hypochondria is just one facet of anxiety. It is irrational thinking that leads to physical symptoms and can definitely be detrimental physically, economically and of course psychologically. I'll have a month or two of relative normalcy, then it comes back again and the cycle repeats. Nowadays, any pain I feel, butterflies in the stomach, head rush from standing up too fast, re-discovery of a skin spot (was that there before? was it that big?, etc.) light-headed or dizziness, fast heart rate, whatever - my mind freaks out and tries to let me think I have heart disease, cancer, diabetes, hypertension, stroke or whatever, even though I know better and the chances are I'm fine, just like I was last time I went through it.

Anxiety is pretty sticky. It just doesn't want to go away. I have noticed that this persistence has affected my thinking a lot. I am so preoccupied with it, added to the increasing stress of everyday life we all have to deal with now, that my thinking is much less effective than it used to be. I definitely forget things I'm too young to start having problems remembering, even at 40. It's just all the stress.

Stress is not good on your physical body either of course, so it is also affecting my physical health. No big problems, but I certainly don't feel healthy and I catch local bugs easier than I used to. It's a hassle.

So anyway, my long-winded point is: I'm dealing with all this and it is essentially nothing. Nothing but a thought-gone-wrong. I could be enjoying life as I did before, but this anxiety is pretty all-permeating these days.

Advice:
1) Don't jump on the latest drug bandwagon. They can be effective, but not always. In my case, a lot of my issues come from no exercise, don't eat right, smoking, and a bit overweight. Since my causes are due to more basic issues and I don't have a "chemical imbalance", the new anti-depressant/anti/anxiety don't relieve the psychological issues much. They do give me bad diarrhea for over a month though, so they have that going for them. Don't get me wrong, I'm not slamming them absolutely. They are very helpful for the right people.
What HAS worked for me is to take something your doctor can prescribe for instant, temporary relief. I don't like taking drugs, and I can usually deal with the anxiety in my own head, so I've made a 1-month prescription last about 8. When I need it though, it is extremely helpful to be able to take something that can give me some relief. Personally I just kind of prefer that to something you have to take every damned day.

2) Be CAREFUL when reading about your hypochondria problem in the internet. The net is probably the worst tool ever created for hypochondriacs. From the net, you can and will discover that there is a web page listing every disease and the symptoms. Any day of the week you can get "confirmation" from a web site that you have any disease you can dream up, and folks who have "exactly the same symptoms which they later found out to be "xxx" disease, so check into that".

3) Much better to go straight to the problem and tackle it.
You (and I) need to add techniques to an arsenal of things we can do to stop our flawed thinking in its tracks and get it going in the right, healthy direction again. I can do this a little to some degree, but I still need to get much better. Anyways, a good counselor can be invaluable. They may point you to a book or two which can also be very helpful.

4) Remember the basics.
Don't smoke - I stopped smoking for 7 months and felt very good during that time. Then I started it up again about a month ago. Started feeling crappy again almost instantly, but it's a hard habit to break. Quit again a week ago and feel a little better already.

Eat healthy food - I need to get better at this, but I'm a little better than I used to be. I think the key is to actually cook. No that doesn't mean heat things up in the microwave (what I usually used to do). You know the drill - fresh veggies & fruits, moderation in the rest. If things won't spoil in a week or two unfrozen, probably don't eat it.

Exercise - This always helps me almost immediately, and yet I don't do it much. Need to be a regular habit, every day. You know, like when we were kids (hopefully). Nothing seems to make me feel better than after I get my heart going from physical action. Of course depending on your health, you may want to consult with someone to make sure you don't overdo it until you get used to it.

Lose weight - This is a no-brainer if you are already doing the above two things. Eat in moderation and get moving. If you do those two and also don't smoke, you're gold. I think it would undoubtedly be good treatment for ABS and frequent urination, although personally I see frequent urination as a good thing. I feel like I'm flushing the bad out.

OK, that's plenty long-winded enough. Kind of did this to help myself - kind of a talk-down from my own anxiety. Hopefully it rings true for somebody else too.

Last edited by vinito; 12-01-2009 at 01:15 PM.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:19 PM   #25
Senior Veteran
(female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User

Ive had hypochondria most of my life. It got a lot better when i had my child and i had someone else to worry about. But my hypochondria has now turned Ive had these for about 12 years, and im tired of them. Nothing stops them totally. Prozac helped but now im off it through my own choice and they are creeping back agin. I hate this.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:49 AM   #26
(male)

miletti1221 HB User

I have had a lifelong of anxiety.

I found that depression causes anxiety not the other way around. I've been on Paxil for 10 + years and though I still have some anxiety its extremely minimal.

We can't worry about what we can't control. Please listen, the worst thing that can happen to you is to not enjoy your life. Once we're gone, and that is inevitable we have no chance to re-live.

Any other questions? Get back to me. By the way I noticed my first bout of anxiety when I was only 8 yrs. old.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:06 PM   #27
(female)

windyajm HB User

Like all of you i suffer from anxiety and panic disorder and hypochondria. Everyday its as if im checking in with my health. I have noticed that a lot of you do the same thing i do exactly everyday. Im constantly checking my pulse, my breathing, and it drives me absolutly crazy.
I use to look on the net everyday for what could be wrong with me. I presently am taking zoloft for my anxiety and panic. It does help but not 100%. It basically helps with some of the physical symptoms not being as bad as they use to be, but the emotional and mental thoughts never go away unless i work on them myself.
It is such a reassurance to see that i do not go through this alone. Any help i can get is definalty much appreciated..

Closed Thread