HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Hypochondria (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/hypochondria/)
-   -   Hypochondria, Panic attack struck me with symptoms (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/hypochondria/712858-hypochondria-panic-attack-struck-me-symptoms.html)

Octave 09-16-2009 02:56 AM

Having Symptoms, need help/advice

I have been having really bad hypochondria for almost a whole year.

It began around last year in November, when I started becoming obsessed with my heart beat, and I am out of shape and my heart rate is a bit higher than normal.

Skipping to this year, in January, I started trying to run on treadmills at this one place a couple times a week. At least a half an hour to an hour of jogging.

In early February, I went through a week of being fatigued, and hearing booming noises when trying to sleep, like Exploding Head Syndrome or something.
That passed over, and I was well for about a week and a half then got a bit of a cold.
Then I started having green stool, and I kept thinking it was cancer (stupid I know) but I didn't take notice of drinking blue gatorade.

Then a very big turning point for my health happened.
I had diarrhea and my stool was red, and I thought it was blood, but it was just from fruit punch, but as I thought it was blood, I had a serious panic attack.

After that night I developed IBS symptoms, and frequent urination that to this day still persist. The following nights, I had irregular bowel movements for 3 weeks.

I went to the ER 2 times and the doctors once, they said they think I have IBS, but didn't really say much about the urination, other than I might have been drinking too much fluids. However, that's not true since it still persists to this day.

I've been having on and off IBS, frequent urination that barely backs down, it increases when I drink more fluids, sometimes head dizziness/head pressure (It came up months later, stopped, then came back again another few months later), vision trails, and now I have stomach cramps/acid reflux.

I have been having severe hypochondriac thoughts, like having cancer, or pituitary tumors/diabetes insipidus, kidney failure, heart failure, and all, and I can't go one day without thinking about my health.

I can't go to the doctors anymore for a long time because I don't have the money to do it.

I've had increased nervousness and anxiety this year because of what's all happening to me. It's probably the worst year of my life I've ever had, having to move, going through this, and this end of the world BS I have to keep hearing from conspiracy and theory idiots.

I've seen my symptoms come up many many times in anxiety symptom lists.
I need to know if people are having similar problems and how anxiety can affect people's healths.

Octave 09-16-2009 07:45 AM

Re: Hypochondria, Panic attack struck me with symptoms

Since my first post was so long I'll make a summery:

I got sick in February with symptoms that last to this day, some symptoms shifting on and off.
From most persistent to least:
Frequent urination (Everything I drink passes through me most of the time)
On and Off Fatigue
IBS (soft stool/diarrhea, sometimes acute constipation)
Vision trails (mostly at night)
Easy to get a racing heart

My anxiety snowballs a lot because of these symptoms, making me a hypochondriac, more worried. I can't go a day without worrying about my health.
I think about stupid stuff like having a tumor or a failing organ.

I want advice, hear from people who have relative problems as me.

Octave 09-17-2009 05:04 PM

So no one is going to help me a little?

mitchellk 09-17-2009 05:47 PM

Hypochondria, Panic attack struck me with symptoms

i am so sorry you are going through this.
I am sad to say that I suffer all of the above symptoms plus.

I have always had general worry but in 2007 my dad suffered a heart attack out of nowhere and ever since I have a constant worry that I am going to have a heart attack. I am 5'1 and 92 pounds and eat healthy, my cholesterol is moderatly high but not enough to cause a worry. I suffer from daily indigestion and acid refulx starting very early in the morning sometimes before I even wake up. Everytime I get any sort of pain I freak out thinking I have a blood clot, going to suffer an anuerism, stroke, heart attack and brain tumor. It's sickening.

I often get a "swimming" feeling in my head, not so dizzy or lightheaded but just floaty that lasts for hours and becuase of that I get a full blown panic attack and cannot function.

you are not alone.
I started getting some books and I got an anxiety ring and some "rescue cream" and I am amazed at how effective they have been.
hang in there

Octave 09-17-2009 06:31 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I don't have any panic attacks really.
I've been having really hypochondriac thoughts this year.
First starting with thinking I will have heart problems, to thinking I'll get a stroke, and now it's cancer/brain tumors.

I keep thinking I have Diabetes Insipidus, aka water diabetes, where your pituitary isn't functioning correctly to preserve water.

I try to convince myself it's just anxiety though.

I'm really not in the best shape myself, so having anxiety and being out of shape probably makes my symptoms worse.

mteal 09-17-2009 08:15 PM

Octave,

I would suggest you seek some type of medical opinion. I was reading your previous post and you commented that you would just convince yourself that it was anxiety.

I can't emphasize enough that even if you feel that way, anxiety is not to be taken lightly. I myself do not have any out of the ordinary issues with anxiety, however my older brother had and still suffers from serious anxiety disorder.

With him, it manifested through a constant worrying. He wasn't so much worried about his health but more so his own expectations for himself and the expectations others had for him. Now you must understand my brother is 6'2 and at the time when this started about 2 years ago, he was 255lbs. Obviously a pretty big guy. However, today my brother only weighs 170lbs. It's amazing what a little bit of worrying can do to the human body.

What ended up happening is his anxiety and inability to deal with it productively threw off his hormone balance and his thyroid gland essentially stopped working. It wasn't until he sought some sort of medical attention that this was even able to be diagnosed. Today, he is recovering but still only weights about 170lbs. The doctors ended up having to give him medication to reduce the size of his thyroid gland, which was so swollen it visibly protruded through his neck. He also has to take medication to replace the hormones that his thyroid gland is supposed to produce.

I understand my brother's situation is pretty extreme, however, because of him I look at stress and anxiety in a whole new light. I really hope you're able to find some type of cure or effective means for dealing with this problem. Good luck.

jayrenmin 09-18-2009 01:09 AM

hypochondia is more common than we realise. all of us go through it. a mild anti anxiety med prescribes by your doc will take the edge of the obessive thoughts and try to follow a regular lifestyle. start small . eat more fruit veg and nuts. drink only pure water or unsweetenrd lime juice, try cutting down on meat and eat whole grains and sprouted pulses. youll feel much better in a few weeks . try and still your mind for 15 mins every day, and make it a habit. the only thing to fear is fear itself.

Octave 09-28-2009 10:00 PM

Not sure if anyone is gonna reply but I think I know the cause of my head pressure now. I've been clenching my teeth a lot lately and it's giving me headaches and head pressure.

Anyone have this problem too?

tUrRrRa 09-29-2009 09:36 AM

Hi Octave, I am sorry to hear about this. I know it's very hard to deal with. My fiance was struggling with anxiety and hypochondria as well. As it continued to get worse (and I didn't know how to help since nothing seemed to work), he kept visiting the doctor for various tests and although everything was fine, he still felt like something was wrong. Eventually I asked him to talk to his doctor about his anxiety and look into taking a medication since lifestyle changes weren't doing the trick for him. He is now taking Prozac and has been doing wonderful! A lot of the symptoms have actually gone away, so I think a lot of them that come up are stress and anxiety-related. He was worried about lymph nodes and his thyroid (he has hypothyroidism) and cancer related to those. Now he is able to check his neck normally without worry. Look up the symptoms of both stress and anxiety and you will see quite a range (including IBS). Staying calm with time will help make these get better and not so severe. I also went on Prozac at the same time (we both take 20mg) for anxiety, but not hypochondria. It's also been great for me! I would still have other obsessive thoughts and couldn't relax my mind. Now I am a million times more relaxed in my mind. Things just don't bother me like they used to and I haven't had a single panic attack or break-down since starting Prozac a few months ago. We are both very happy to find that it works for each of us, even with different kinds of anxiety. I highly suggest either talking to a counselor or looking into medication... it can be life-changing! I wish you the best of luck!

tUrRrRa 09-29-2009 09:38 AM

Octave, I also clench my teeth from anxiety (and in my sleep I've been told) and DO get a lot of head pressure, neck pain, and jaw pain, even ear pressure. I am going to ask my dentist about TMJ disorder when I go for my next checkup. I've been trying to keep an eye on it during the day and even sticking in my tongue in between my teeth to keep me from clenching, and will look into something I can wear at night that isn't too bulky or uncomfortable. I also get headaches from this and occasionally get migraines that make me feel awful. This clenching could be very well related to your anxiety!

dennij 10-19-2009 09:03 PM

I too have these problems, it all started with a virus which floored me as i am not a sickly person I have had the same thoughts for the last 5 months,my vision got worse with this virus which is a worry, its anxiety, i too listen to my heart and it scares me, if I ache somewhere I blow it out of whack. Something must have happened to you that took your sense of control away, thats what happened to me.

tstade6789 11-13-2009 11:09 AM

Re: Having Symptoms, need help/advice

I have had the same sypmtoms for years, they would come and go. Recently I have a lot of cramping in the pelvic area and the bloating as well as feeling like my abdomen is swollen. I suffer from anxiety and think that has a lot to do with it. I have been paranoid about all the same things and have put a call into my Dr office. I will let you know what they say.

andyrk 11-13-2009 09:37 PM

Hi There, I noticed you're having a lot of problems with anxiety. I also noticed that your afraid you might have diabetes insipitus. Well, I have been diagnosed with both. I've had diabetes insipidus for about 4 years now. At first, the main symptom was extreme thirst, especially for ice cold water, and having to go to the bathroom about every hour. I didn't have any bowel movement problems though. A series of blood work was done and a MRI with showed that my pituitary gland was swollen. The pituitary gland produces a hormone which conserves fluid in the body. Before I was on medication I was drinking so much water just to keep up, probably about one bottle of water every hour. Let me just say its not as serious as you think. I take a simple nasal spray daily (pills are available too) and that's it. I've been fine. The doctor told me that some rare side effects of the nasal spray could cause a flushing feeling which could cause a panic attack. But, for me the main symptom was extreme thirst. Check with your doc though. Hope this helps.

Dark Stranger 11-14-2009 12:36 AM

I also have anxiety and am a hypochondriac...and I worry about my heart as well. No one in my family has ever had heart problems, but I have undiagnosed breathing problems and often worry I have heart failure or a collapsed lung. At least three or four times a day, I have my fingers pressed to my throat, checking my pulse. I've had a cold of some sort lately and I think being sick has increased my heart rate, but it's still within a normal (but high-normal) range. And I have the occasional fleeting worry I have swine flu since I have most of the symptoms (which also happen to match those of the common cold and seasonal influenza).

And I also get that slight dizzy feeling that isn't quite full-blown dizziness, but as someone else said, "floaty". It's so strange and I'm always worried it's a brain tumor or cancer or I'm dying or not getting enough oxygen.

Had lots of tests, including a CAT scan, ECG, and blood tests and have been in the ER several times and everything came back normal. I never got around to seeing a doctor about anxiety medication because I was on my mother's insurance through college and she believed if it was anxiety, it wasn't worth medicating because it was 'all in my head'. Now I have no insurance and can't get care for anything, so I have to hope I don't get genuinely ill for a few years.

It's just awful worrying about absolutely everything...I would love to just go and see a doctor and get a clean bill of health for my own sanity. But until I have a job with benefits, I have to deal with this as best as I can on my own.

Octave 11-16-2009 06:24 AM

Thanks for all the new replies. It helps to know people are going through the same stuff as I am.

Right now I'm suffering from excessive bile. I have no clue if this is part of my anxiety or anything. It's not as bad as a couple days back though. Maybe it's from drinking so much soda, but I'd figure it would have stopped by now.

Thanks andyrk for the information about DI. The most thing that scares me about it, is that I heard it could be caused by a tumor. I'm not sure if DI is the case though anymore, since it happened all in one night after my traumatic panic attack, and I'm not always thirsty.

Thanks everyone. If any of you have more information, please post.