It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2003, 12:26 AM   #1
Inactive

UmmmmmWTF HB User
Post hypochondria

hi, i was wondering if anyone else here suffers from hypochondria. if so, how do you deal with it, and what things have you found to help you out? i am pretty sure this is what is causing my anxiety.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2003, 11:11 AM   #2

slyJohn HB User
it's very hard for me cause i had a tumor in my adrenal gland when i was 8 years old and i fear of it coming back. im 20 now and im still trying to find the right meds to help me stop worrying. my anxiety attacks began one year ago when my heart started racing. every now and then my heart races and that sets off my attacks. i worry very much something is wrong with me but i've had all the tests done so all i can do is sit through my panic attacks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2003, 01:08 PM   #3
Inactive

UmmmmmWTF HB User
yeah, thats basically where i'm at too. i've always been in good health, and i've had all the tests run, but nothing ever comes back bad. so i dunno what to do. i am going to see a hypnotherapist on the 25th, so maybe under hypnosis, she can get to the bottom of the problem and get me back to normal.

Old 08-17-2003, 02:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattys HB User
I am the same way I will actually get the symtoms of somthing if I think about it long enough and the anxiety goes through the roof.

I went to the dr who put me on zoloft and it helped for a while. now I am trying a different med. It is awfull to have your mind so preoccupied on things that you can't enjoy life.

Take care
Cattys

Old 08-17-2003, 03:27 PM   #5
Inactive

UmmmmmWTF HB User
yeah, i know what you mean. one night i was on the boards looking in each topic seeing if i had symptoms of anything. and last night, i had a lil pain in my stomache, prolly from swimming all day....but i thought it was my apendix or my spleen. however, those were on opposite sides of where the pain was. but once i found out where the spleen and apendix were, i started feeling pain there. my Dr gave me zoloft too, but i dunno if i wanna take it. i think that will fix the symptoms of anxiety, not the cause of it. i'll stick with the xanax till i get hypnotized. hehe

Old 08-17-2003, 04:12 PM   #6

tracey2775 HB User
wow im a right hypocondriact (how the hell do you spell that??!!). if i have a headache i have a tumor. if i have palps ive a bad heart. if ive a pain in my leg ive a blood clot. if i have bad stomachs ive stomach cancer. you name it, ive got it!! its quite funny reading this but its so real when you actually have these pains.

------------------
tracey

Old 08-17-2003, 05:14 PM   #7

slyJohn HB User
yeah i've had pain in my leg for about 6 months now and i truly believe i have a blood clot and im waiting for it to break and cause a pulmonary embolism! im getting an mri of my back tomorrow because they think thats whats causing the pain... some kinda herniated disc or compressed nerve. but yeah i been having a lot of heart racing episodes and im always thinking its from a clot. i just want an ultrasound of my leg to put my mind at ease but we'll see what this mri shows first.

Old 08-17-2003, 06:13 PM   #8
Inactive

UmmmmmWTF HB User
slyjohn: thats how i was too. and i hope it all goes well for you. but i had a headache in june and thought i just needed an MRI to calm me down, but after i got one, everything was fine of course, but my mind moved onto the next thing. its so rediculous, i know. but i dunno how to stop it. what makes me laugh though, is i have all these symptoms, and think its some catastrophic disease, but then i take 1 xanax, and i feel great. so, obviously, if it were something more serious, the xanax wouldn't do anything. but of course, when i'm going through it, i don't think clearly like this. anyone find any good ways of dealing with this? or even better, a cure?

Old 08-18-2003, 11:40 AM   #9

TammyV HB User
Hypocondria...where do I even begin. I've had this particular problem for quite a few years. Actually I think that I've had it since I was little. I can't even read about some diseases or watch any TV shows about diseases without thinking "That sounds like me!". It's not a fun thing and I know my family and most likely my doctor get tired of me always worrying about having something worse than what I do have. What I do have is: panic disorder, sleep apnea and GERD. But every time my chest hurts, it's automatically a heart attack, if I get a headache, it's automatically a tumor. It drives me crazy at times. I don't know why I have this, but I don't like it. I think that is part of what causes my panic attacks. If you find anything that works, please let me know.

------------------
Keep the faith, Tammy

Old 08-18-2003, 12:53 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB Userworrywort HB User
Oh yeah!!! i have been a worrywort since i was really little, I worry about anything and everything but since I have a panic attacks it is 10 times worse. I try not to worry about myself but i do,and when I go to the doc they brush me off it is really frustrating! I know how it is, it sucks!

Old 08-18-2003, 01:26 PM   #11
Inactive

UmmmmmWTF HB User
yup, now when i go to the Dr, he just says, "its your anxiety, calm down, stop worrying." and he doesn't even really check me. it pisses me off sometimes.

Old 08-19-2003, 12:02 PM   #12

Thumper3172 HB User
Hi,

I think anyone with Panic Disorder suffers from varying degrees of Hypochondria.When I started having PA's,I asked my Doctor about this and he told me Anxiety-Panic is different from Hypochondria.

He said what makes it seem the same is PD sufferers constantly worry and are consumed with what is wrong with them making them have these sensations and symptoms.

Old 08-19-2003, 07:00 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Being a hypochondriact just stresses us out, I try and tell myself that life is to short to worry about yourself all of the time! I still worry though, It is just the way i am i guess. the doctors know that nothing is wrong with you but it is very frustrating when you are brushed off, it doesn't seem right, but I guess they went to all that school, they know what is best I guess!! have a good one

Old 08-19-2003, 08:41 PM   #14
Inactive

UmmmmmWTF HB User
i dunno, i wish i could stop thinking something was morbidly wrong with me. but its also hard for me to have faith in people i don't know. i checked my blood sugar last night and it was 41. thats rediculously low. i told my dr today and he said just eat more. hypoglycemia can be caused by benign tumors in your pancreas and a few other things. it can also put you into a coma or ultimatly be fatal. but he said that has nothing to do with my problem. i dunno, i really wish i could run every test known in the medical field just so i know.

Old 08-20-2003, 01:12 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally posted by UmmmmmWTF:
i dunno, i wish i could stop thinking something was morbidly wrong with me. but its also hard for me to have faith in people i don't know. i checked my blood sugar last night and it was 41. thats rediculously low. i told my dr today and he said just eat more. hypoglycemia can be caused by benign tumors in your pancreas and a few other things. it can also put you into a coma or ultimatly be fatal. but he said that has nothing to do with my problem. i dunno, i really wish i could run every test known in the medical field just so i know.
I understand what your saying, i would do the same thing..i wish i had a mri machine so i could scan my whole body and make sure i am o.k. you should have blood test done if it's been a while, i just had one and my blood is good and that's good to know! i hope you have a wonderful day! LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE BECAUSE IT COULD BE A LOT WORSE I always try to think positive even though all these negative thoughts are running through my head.

Closed Thread