It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2010, 04:34 AM   #1
(male)

feelingok HB User
Hypochondria/OCD over getting heart disease from worry/stress?

Im am OCD about getting heart dis. from worry/stress. Im convinced I will make myself get it & this is my fate. Does anyone think fate & illness WILL hapen no matter what they do?

I'll see a shrink soon but what can I tell them other than this? They CANT tell me I WONT die (& Im not going to listen to just pray, etc or find meaning in spiritual, etc.) so I guess there is nothing I can do for me.

Last edited by feelingok; 07-30-2010 at 04:35 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2010, 09:27 AM   #2
(female)

seekcalmness HB Userseekcalmness HB User
Re: Hypochondria/OCD over getting heart disease from worry/stress?

Hi. Honestly, I have the SAME obsession. It really is awful. I was talking to my counselor about this yesterday. I fear that I am killing myself by worrying. I also just got scared that if I typed that just now that it would make it more likely to happen. Then I doubt that I really feel that way. I promise, you are not alone and there is SOMETHING you can do about it. Seek support in others and see your counselor. Stay busy and try to LAUGH. My counselor helps me laugh at these things sometimes-it helps me! Take care,
seekcalmness

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2010, 02:53 AM   #3
(male)

feelingok HB User

Today was bad. Yest was too. Just feel real rushed/hurried for o reason. I think Ive got some OCD from PTSD growing up in drunk family, hiding from dad, etc. But now Im 50 & I need to get a psych eval & a doc/counselor to do CBT, I guess. Took 1 mg ativan tonight to calmdown but had a red wine before, so hope its ok.

Old 01-01-2011, 06:34 PM   #4
(male)

Halen1979 HB User

I have always worried about this. I have asked several doctors about it as well. The way I see it as long as my anxiety has not caused me to have high blood pressure and my cholesterol is normal I just simply do not see how stress/anxiety can clog your arteries which almost certainly has to happen in order to have a heart attack. Every time I hear the term "stress kills" it makes me sick to my stomach because I will be sitting there like "well i just have no hope" but like I said more often than not my vitals are usually pretty good!

Old 01-07-2011, 09:33 AM   #5
(female)

Charmbracelet81 HB User

I am there with you. It started when my heart started skipping 7 years ago during pregnancy. Ever since then I obsess with my heart. I have a long history and anxiety and have been in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for a year and half and just last April I went in and demanded a FULL heart work up. I got several EKG's and holter monitor and event recorder stress test and echocardiogram. All came out fine and the cardiologist even said it was "just anxiety." I was satisfied for a while with the results. It has since worn off and I am convinced I have devloped heart disease. It is true what you are saying...everyone around me is telling me I am fine and nothing works. I feel as though I want to go back to the Doc and have them re-check. I understand that this is anxiety becaseu someone that was told their heart is fine moves on with their lives, but not us, we need the constant reassurance. It's so frustrating, becaseu I am missing out on life while waiting to die.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:32 PM   #6
(female)

jenny1435 HB User
Talking Re: Hypochondria/OCD over getting heart disease from worry/stress?

I am so happy (not glad u guys have it also) but feel better I'm not alone. I have been this way for so long! It comes and goes.....sometimes last for a month or two.....then comes back a few months later because of a trigger. I will write more later (on my cell phone now). Please feel free to ask me anything...I feel like I've found a family here as silly as that may sound. There are no ocd support groups where I live.....that would be so wonderful if there was. I pray for peace and joy for us all.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:00 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Wow! I thought I was the only one with this phobia or whatever you want to call it. My fears about developing and dying from heart disease all started when I developed panic disorder in my mid 20's. I have had a battery of tests over the years and this fear persists to this very day. I can sometimes have hundreds of heart palps daily and each one registers fear and panic in my brain. My doctors DX'ed me as having a form of OCD related to this. I have had this fear for over 20 years and it is getting worse the older I get. I keep thinking maybe I did not have heart disease when I was in my 20's but I am 50 now and perhaps the disease is there now. This constant, persistent fear has impacted my life more than anything else. I can't enjoy all the other aspects of life because I have this fear. I listen to my heart beat hundreds of times every night before I can go to sleep. I mean I can hear every single heartbeat and it drives me almost crazy sometimes. It is nice to find other people with this similar fear and concern.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:47 PM   #8
(female)

jenny1435 HB User

Blueskies.......you are def. not alone!

Old 03-17-2011, 08:42 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny1435 View Post
Blueskies.......you are def. not alone!
Hi Jenny. Thanks for responding back. I am so sorry you suffer from this almost debilitating fear also. I bet I have been to the ER more than 50 times in the past 20 years or so. I even went by ambulance sometimes because things got so bad and I was sure that I was dying. Many people tend to make light of people who suffer with this fear but to the sufferer, this fear is nothing short of a nightmare that never ends. Not only do I have heart palps daily now, I have have constant pressure in the center of my chest. No matter how many times my doc has reassured me over the years, I still have this horrible fear. I even took meds for over 20 years to try to control the panic and terror but now even the meds do not work anymore and I struggle just to survive each day. I am always thinking about my heart and when I might suffer that massive heart attack. The fear is almost paralyzing. I know I have one of the worst cases of panic/heart attack phobia ever. The only time I am not bothered by these disturbing thoughts and feelings is when I am asleep. The irony is that I don't sleep well either because I have dreams even of having heart attacks in my sleep and they jar me awake. I am glad I can be open and honest on this message board. I feel this is just so crazy and my thoughts are outta control but I can't control the thoughts no matter what I do. I sometimes wish they could do surgery and wipe a part of my memory out, to erase this ingrained fear from my mind so to speak. Whenever I hear anything about heart disease on TV, I get incredible anxiety almost to the point of panic sometimes. Please share your fears and concerns Jenny. Say anything you want no matter how crazy. I am here to listen if you ever wanna talk about these fears.

Last edited by BlueSkies14; 03-17-2011 at 08:46 PM.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:17 AM   #10
(female)

jenny1435 HB User

I will write more later when I am at home. I've been this way off and on too since I was very young. I'm 36 today!!! I have had echos, nuclear stress tests, holter monitors.....but the least little flutter, pain, tingle...sends me into a panic sometimes. Most times. I have such huge Faith....and I feel bad that this worries me still. I do have OCD though. Diagnosed. So sometimes other things bother me more than my heart...but it usually comes back pretty quickly. Talk more soon. Peace & Prayers Jenny

The following user gives a hug of support to jenny1435:
BlueSkies14 (03-18-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to jenny1435 For This Useful Post:
BlueSkies14 (03-18-2011)
Old 03-18-2011, 08:20 AM   #11
(female)

jenny1435 HB User

Also......it sucks when people just blow you off like your crazy...especially those that you think should care the most. Even if it is not "real" if it is our OCD, which hopefully and faithfully it is....some compassion would be nice ya know. At least thats what I feel.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:02 AM   #12
Inactive
(male)

I have also had all the tests you mentioned Jenny. I was so bad in my mid 20's until I even convinced doctors to do a cardiac cath on me when I was 28 I think. I just could not get a handle on the panic attacks and anxiety, and anytime you have an invasive procedure such as a cath, it carries some risk with it. Even after the cath, I was still ending back up in the ER. Tell me what your palps feel like. I get mainly flutters and skipped beats and not so much fast heartbeats. Thank you for this dialog.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:24 AM   #13
(female)

jenny1435 HB User

That is the kind I have too. Flutters...like it's flipping over to start on the other side! I used to have a rapid heart rate....still do sometimes...but I've been working out againso that helps. i do get flutters though when I exercise sometimes. Most times though....justout of the blue! Isn't crazy to know someone else is the same way! Comforting really. Do you ever worry about anything else....like diseases and such? I get on rabies kicks too......they are Horrible!!! I love animals!

Old 04-05-2011, 10:45 AM   #14
(female)

jenny1435 HB User

How have you been??? I'm on a kick again!!! Do you ever have tingling in your left hand??? I've had that now. I have arthritis in my wrists, and use a computer all day...but I automatically assume its my heart. I've had all the tests except the cath. I have mitral vavle prolapse, so I've had echos for years. And since then had 2 holter monitors and a nuclear stress. All say I'm fine. Even my familieshistory isn't that bad. I just pray and pray...and sometimes a good cry helps. When I was OCDing over rabies.....I had NO heart issues.....none! Why now. Ugh. Hope you are ok. Write back.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:16 AM   #15
Inactive
(male)

Jenny, I neglected to check back on this thread. How have you been? How are you doing?

Closed Thread