It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2010, 03:50 PM   #1
(male)

Napoleon101010 HB User
I've took a note of everything i thought I've had in the last week.

1. Lymphoma or Leukimia
2. Colon Cancer
3. Hyperthyroidism
4. High Blood Pressure
5. Heart Disease
6. Irritable Bowel Syndrome
7. Anxiety
8. Depression
9. Hyperhydrosis
10. Stomach Cancer
11. Graves' Disease
12. Diabetes
13. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
14. Osteoporosis
15. Crohn's disease

I've had bad Nausea for the last 2 months and wondered what was causing it, then today when i looked up symptoms for Crohn's Disease the Nausea started about 15 minutes after. So now I think i know what is causing my Nausea.

Give it a try, write down everything you think you have for a week. It's pretty terrifying and ridiculous at the same time. I genuinely think i have all these things at the time. I still think i have some now.

The worst part is that when I'm having fun playing a game or something and i feel a little ache i can't play the game anymore, I'll have to go on the internet and look to see if i have cancer or some life threating disease.

I need help.

Last edited by Napoleon101010; 12-23-2010 at 03:52 PM.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:40 AM   #2
(female)

Charmbracelet81 HB User
Re: I've took a note of everything i thought I've had in the last week.

Wow. I am going to do this also. I obsess with my heart and lungs but I know other things pop in my head, like yesterday I thought I was having a ruptured anneryism because I heard a pop in my head. Thanks for this idea...I will come back and post all my nonsence in a week!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2011, 08:42 AM   #3
(female)

Charmbracelet81 HB User

...also, I do have generalizeed anxiety disorder. Have you ever been diagnosed?

Old 01-07-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
(male)

Napoleon101010 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmbracelet81 View Post
...also, I do have generalizeed anxiety disorder. Have you ever been diagnosed?
Nope, I'll never go to the doctors for mental health issues. I feel as it's a waste of the doctors time.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:44 PM   #5
(female)

AwkwardFemale HB User

Napoleon101010, I sadly deal with the exact same thing. I worry over many things for an excessive amount of time. It gets to be ridiculous. No matter how irrational I'm being or how illogical I know my fears are, it doesn't stop me from obsessing over it and still genuinely thinking I have whatever illness/disease at the time. It's so consuming, I hate it. Nobody should be sentenced to live their life this way. Many days, I hate my mere existence because all I do is worry and constantly check my body for things to be afraid of. My brain will "search" for symptoms. If I get any type of ache, pain, twinge, spasm, twitch or ANYTHING, I automatically freak out and assume the worst. Google is my worst enemy, lol. If I'm doing something (doesn't matter what it is) and I get an ache or something, I have to drop everything and go search it online. Ugh.

Anyway, I hope things get easier for you. I'm sorry I made this all about me, haha. That wasn't my intention. Just trying to relate and let you know you're not the only one out there that does this stuff. It's actually kind of comforting. For me, anyway.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:56 PM   #6
(male)

caseclosed713 HB User

The internet has turned me into a hypochondriac. Why? Because anytime I notice something just the slightest bit different I freak out and rush to google to search for my "symptoms." Most of the time I only have 1 symptom, but I somehow blow it out of proportion and think I'm dying of some horrible cancer. And it most certainly does consume you. Sometimes I just stare at myself it the mirror looking for something that's not right. I can never get any relief. Even if something goes away, I always find something else to worry about. It makes me feel sick to the stomach because I always assume the absolute worst is wrong with me. I know it's completely irrational and ridiculous. I don't feel like typing up a list of all the diseases and cancers I've self diagnosed myself with because I don't have enough time lol. Being like this sucks, it's a little relieving to know I'm not alone though.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:34 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User

I have GAD and hypochondria.
Usually, my anxiety focuses on my girly parts: I've thought I had breast cancer, uterine cancer, and cervical cancer (I actually did have precancerous cells on my cervix one time, but it was many years ago, and it was successfully treated).
Sometimes I worry that I have (or will get) colon cancer, not because I have any symptoms but because the idea is just so horrible that I can't seem to resist worrying about it.

I worry about HIV (unrealistically- I've been tested numerous times over the years, and I'm negative).

Most recently, I've started to worry about Hep C, and about my liver.
Now that I'm pregnant, i'm really super-worried about it.
I don't think they test for it as part of the routine prenatal bloodwork, but I might ask them to, just to put my mind at ease.
Lately it seems like my liver hurts (under right ribcage). And my pee seems to be a darker yellow than it used to be, although it lightens up if I drink a lot of water. Of course, it could just be a UTI, or even kidney stones. Who knows.

Anyway, when I'm pregnant, I don't just eat for two, I WORRY for two... so I'm anticipating my anxiety disorder to really crank up into high gear over the next several months.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:48 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User

Quote:
The internet has turned me into a hypochondriac.
The internet has relieved my anxiety more than it's fueled it.

My hypochondria began around age 8, when I thought a ganglion cyst on my wrist was cancer, and I worked myself into a hysteria about it.
Even before that, I had terrible anxiety, but it usually focused on my family members becoming ill and dying, not on me being ill.
It probably has to do with the fact that I'm the one healthy child in my family- I have two severely handicapped siblings. I'm not sure why this would cause me to become a hypochondriac, but it did, for some reason.
At age eleven, I became convinced that a slightly raised mole on my upper arm was skin cancer. I picked at it until it was a big gross sore. Then I told my dad that I thought it was skin cancer, and I guess I was convincing enough that he took me to the doctor. The doctor said it wasn't skin cancer, of course.

It's gone on like that ever since. Every week, I have a new type of "cancer".
It should be noted that nobody in my family has ever had any type of cancer. Not even my grandparents.
This doesn't reassure me: it just makes me think we're due for some.

Anyway, since I discovered the internet, I've been able to rule out a lot of worrisome symptoms that would've driven me to hysteria before the internet was available. With the internet, I've also found a lot of alternate (and less serious) causes for some of my symptoms, so I no longer think that every symptom I have invariably points to some sort of cancer.
And last, I'm able to look up statistics and see how rare cancer really is, especially in younger people. This helps give me a bit of perspective.
I'm not special. I don't expect to win the lottery. So why should I expect to get a cancer that affects only 8 in 100,000 people my age?
See what I mean?

But, yeah... I'd say the internet has definitely helped me more than it's hurt.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:54 PM   #9
(male)

paulnyc HB User

now there is a term cyberchondria and iam EXACTLY THE SAME WAY. no matter WHAT im doing if theres a symptom that comes up... FORGET IT...all comes to a halt and iam researching ailments for an hour minimum.

Closed Thread