It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2011, 05:56 AM   #1
(female)

OliveOwl HB User
Coping with Hypochondria - and Remedying It?

Hello,

I think I have always over-worried about my health, even since I was a child. My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer when I was nine, and she passed when I was thirteen. Since her death, I have encouraged myself to make my health one of my first priorities. When I started college, I started an exercise routine and started eating much healthier. Today, I like to incorporate as many organics into my diet as possible and am always reading up on the best super foods and exercises.

I feel like whenever my health is threatened, I over-worry. Whether it's a headache after using the phone, an eyelash in my eye, or the possibility of a spider vein behind my knee (God forbiddddd!), I go into an anxious state or panicked mode.

I recently had my wisdom teeth removed, and have started to get an ear ache and dull jaw pain on Day 6, and have been peppering my poor boyfriend with questions, asking him if he thinks I'm okay, and to check my mouth if everything is healing properly, etc. I am realizing how much my hypochondria not only affects me, but others around me, and I hate it. (And of course I already posted on the Dental Health section of this forum, don't worry, haha.)

My question is --- what have you done to cope? Is this something that requires a medical professional or a psychologist? I hate taking medication of any kind - prescribed or over the counter - so I don't want to just mask my issue. Or is this something that I can mentally grab a hold of? I try so hard to be confident in my health, but sadly, my mind always gets the better of me. For example, I was mustering up all of my courage to be put under for my wisdom teeth removal, and yet when the put the IV in me, even though I was sitting down and slightly reclined, my ears started ringing and I felt the need to pass out.

I would love to have children some day, but I feel like I might pass out before I even make it to labor, lol. I do not want this irrational fear to take over my life or affect the lives of the people I love. What have you done to take control of this condition? I appreciate your suggestions. :]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2011, 12:49 PM   #2
(male)

tonyinhampshire HB User
Re: Coping with Hypochondria - and Remedying It?

Hey Olive Owl

I have suffered most of my life Im 49 now/ My Mother has just been given the all clear from Lymphoma cancer at the age of 86. My partners parents both died of cancer in their 60’s. several people at work died of cancer and rare disease. At least 10 suicides I know and about 8 car accidents, all in their teens / twenties.

It is a mystery why I fear or why people fear but I have never sought professional help. The xray or MRI has given me relief…for a few weeks. I fear pain and lack of control. I have lived a full life so far and hope to go on a good few more years but unfortunately have been cought in CYBERCHONDRIA which takes over and fuels the fear.

Two Months ago I had sciatica and convinced myself that I had bone or spine cord cancer. This improved in the last Months but I now have pain in neck / arm and have developed mucous in throat and have to cough. I have convinced myself that I have secondary bowel cancer to the lung. I have had bowel problems for many Months with diareah which could be stress amongst 1000 things but no, I have cancer.

I guess I fear death but really this is going to happen anyway. I try to focus not on positive things like it could be this or that, because cancer is a real possibility for anyone. Instead I have found some strength in philosophy, it kind if puts life into a perspective. I can recommend the book ‘ becoming enlightened ‘ by Dalai Lama. He compares the universe as 25 billion years old and our lives in comparison is just a ‘bolt of lightening’. It’s a good read. Take care hope things work out for you and me

Tony in england

Closed Thread