It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2011, 05:38 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

BigGrinch1 HB User
Need help, teen always worrying about health

Hi everyone,

I'm here to ask for a little help. I wouldn't say I worry to extremes, but I do worry mildly all the time about things like cancer, for example. In the past, say 3-5 months, I have worried about things like thyroid nodules, as I thought I could feel one and was reassured with a blood test. Leukemia, as I had little pains everywhere and I believed my glands were swollen when they actually weren't, once again I was reassured by my GP. Currently though, I keep thinking that there is a fair possibility of having a brain tumor. I get mild headaches occasionally (3 times a week, but now have been absent for a week+), slightly lightheaded all the time (fairly mild, but slightly worse when sitting still, eg. lookoing at my computer for 6-10 hours a day) , and some little muscle twitches that last for around 3 seconds. My headaches tend to be at the front and back of my had, and are quite dull but mainly non-throbbing. The pain rating is probably around a 2-4/10.

My family and friends think I'm a complete idiot, and are starting to dislike me more and more as I annoy them with questions about my little ailments.

Help me please. I would love an experienced opinion. I need to get on with my life and regain my strong and healthy relationships with close friends and family.

Thanks, Alex.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User
Hi, Alex,
I'm sorry that you're having a hard time. I think it's good to have an awareness of your health, but it sounds like (and I'm sure you agree) you have an OVERawareness of it.
It is very easy to jump to conclusions about the way our body may act from time to time.
Have such easy access to medical information, even if the information is just plain wrong, doesn't help matters either. I think that you're having some problem with anxiety and it is reflected in your overthinking your body. I think it would be a good idea for you to do some exercise. Get your mind into making your body stronger, give yourself a new focus that will help you and not hurt you. Your friends will find you to be much more fun, too.

Last edited by Administrator; 07-31-2011 at 09:22 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2011, 05:52 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

BigGrinch1 HB User
Thanks so much. Definitely will try that

Last edited by Administrator; 07-31-2011 at 09:22 PM.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:08 PM   #4
(female)

anxietygirl123 HB User
Alex I can sympathize with you very much as i am very similar to you! I have been a hypochondriac and struggling with health anxiety since i was 10 years old, and i have to say it is the hardest most awful thing i have ever experienced!

I can understand what you say about your family becoming annoyed with your worries over your health because my family find my obsessions over my health very hard to deal with. But just know that the only reason they are frustrated with it is because they want you to trust them that if they ever thought that there was something even slightly wrong with you they would have you at the doctors straight away! You must just trust them, but i know that is very hard to do too!

In regards to your worries over cancer i can sympathize here too. I have been convinced i have had every single type of cancer possible to the extent where i would believe is so much that i would get lots of worrisome symptoms (all in my head) and i would stay up all night shaking and crying convinced that i didn't have long to live. My Grandma passed away last month from cancer and the other year my boyfriend was diagnosed with a very rare form on cancer and this has only made my anxiety over having cancer and dying 100 times worse. But i know it is important for me to just try and remember that just because they had it doesn't mean i do, and that the only reason i feel like i do have it is because i am so worried over it.

Please also remember that the dizziness, lightheadedness, headaches are ALL very very common signs of anxiety and tension caused by your anxiety and are most definitely nothing to worry about. I certainly get dizzy and lightheaded very often. I can assure you that you don't have a brain tumor you merely have anxiety and a little bit of tension, all very common!

My advice to you would be this. Whenever something is bothering you and you think it is something serious tell your parents about it once, and it they aren't concerned the first time and second time leave it, trust them and don't bother about it again. Try try try to forget about it! Also, i don't know if you do this, but don't google any of your symptoms! This has had me convinced of so many things before and has definitely made my anxiety worse! Finally, try to remember more than anything that the reason you are convinced you are really ill is just because of your health anxiety and nothing more than that! Also remember that at your age, although it is possible, cancer is EXTREMELY rare (this includes you thinking you have a brain tumor)! Remember this when you get these thoughts.

If these things i have mentioned don't seem to work a good thing for you to do would be to go to the doctors like i did and tell them how much you worry over health issues. They referred me for CBT which i believe is suppose to be a wonderful way of overcoming health anxiety. They may also give you some medication to try and calm you down.

Please be patient Alex and hang in there! Remember your not alone and that there are many many people here to help you that are going through the same thing or have recovered stay positive!

I wish you all the best!!
Anxietygirl123

Last edited by Administrator; 07-31-2011 at 09:23 PM.

Closed Thread