It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hypochondria Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2011, 08:04 AM   #1
(female)

Liebling81 HB User
BF is hypochondriac and its driving me crazy!

I believe that my significant other is a hypochondriac. I've read the wiki on hypochondriasis and it totally describes him. He goes to his doc or ER at least 2-3 times a month because of some type of illness or symptoms. He stubbed his toe at one point and he was so convinced it was broken (even though he could move it) that he went to 2 ERs coz the first one told him its not broken, 2nd one took an xray just to satisfy him and, voila! - not broken. He thinks he's going to die soon because he said he feels like his heart is going to give out anytime and he experiences heart palpitations and numbing of his limbs, or he thinks he has cancer, and he apparently experiences a lot of aches and pains everywhere. He had blood work done and nothing is wrong with him. Whenever he goes to the doctor and the doc would tell him he's fine, he seems to be smarter than the doctor coz he believes the doctor is wrong and his self diagnosis is right. His blood pressure also seems to be really high when he's at the doctor but when he's home, his blood pressure is completely fine (i have the machine to check). He is at the doctor right now as im typing this. <_< His new thing, he bumped his elbow a few days ago and he said it still hurts. He's so convinced that he 'chipped' the bone that he is at the orthopedic surgeon right now. The elbow is not swollen!!!!

I know this is an illness - I tried to make an appointment for him to see a shrink but he wouldn't go. I just don't know to to deal with this. We have no health insurance and every single time he goes to the doctor, its $85 for the visit and he goes multiple times a month. He has asthma inhaler and he would use it like crazy coz his chest feels tight all the time and of course, that's about $250/month + the prescriptions that he'd get for high blood pressure, migraine and other things. It's driving me nuts! I try to me sympathetic to what he's feeling but its the constant complaining about a pain here or there or he's dying or if there's a mosquito bite, its cancer and it's hurting us financially. It came to a point where he would sell some of our things just so he would have enough money to go to his doctor.

Help me! Tell me how to deal with this!

PS: Should I inform the doctor that he is a hypochondriac?

The following user gives a hug of support to Liebling81:
MichaelZ (01-26-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2011, 08:45 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Curious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB User
Re: BF is hypochondriac and its driving me crazy!

How long have you been together?

Do you have children together?

Other than his underlying condition (hypochondriasis) causing you great stress, how is the rest of your life/relationship together?

Why will he not see a mental health professional?

Old 10-25-2011, 09:53 AM   #3
(female)

Liebling81 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious One View Post
How long have you been together?
We've been together for a little over 4 yrs.

Quote:
Do you have children together?
No children together but I have 1 child and we're raising him together.

Quote:
Other than his underlying condition (hypochondriasis) causing you great stress, how is the rest of your life/relationship together?
Our relationship is deteriorating due to monetary problems. We share the bills but most of the time, I have to pay his half as well because he wouldn't have any money left because he would spend his money on his doctor visits and prescriptions. He would also lose his job due to his attendance because he's always 'sick.' And by him not having a paycheck, he sells my things so he can go to the doctor.

Quote:
Why will he not see a mental health professional?
Because he thinks he's ok mentally. He doesn't think he is a hypochondriac. His doctor prescribed him anti-anxiety medications at one time but he didn't fill it because he feels like he didn't need it.

I'm very, very frustrated.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:39 PM   #4
(male)

MichaelZ HB User

OH MY GOD! you just described me! I am the same exact way, Every single day if I feel a pain in my body i jump to the conclusion that I have cancer, or a tumor. I've have been convinced that I have cancer, ALS disease, MS, Skin cancer, Brain tumors, Carpal tunnel, cancerous moles, heart disease. I have panic attacks whenever I think about it. I have been to the ER several times because I thought i was dying, My symptoms are insane. My girlfriend and all my friends get very irritated with me and just roll their eyes, and it upsets me so much because they have no idea how I feel. I feel like I'm going insane worrying every single day that I have something wrong with me I feel sorry that my girlfriend and my friends have to hear about it all the time, i just wish that they would understand that I feel like my life is in danger all the time. I got motivation to get a high paying job just so i can go see the doctor, i plan on taking therapy I think it will help me out a lot, I actually can't wait to see a shrink. I hope that he can read this and know that he is not a lone, whenever he goes to the doctor next ask about ativan, I was prescribed that and when I was on it, i felt normal for once, I was happy, i didn't have any worries about my health or anything, i finally felt what it was like to be normal.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:59 AM   #5
(male)

Acadian HB User

He really does need to seek professional help, there must be some kind of trigger from his child hood or even something that happened at any point in his life for him to be so obsessive over this. I know speaking from 34 years of being a hypochondriac. I have endured many traumatic events as a child which have molded me into the hypochondriac that I am today.

I know you think you understand what he is going through, but you really don't. Imagine being 100% sure you are going to die or be sick. You just know this for a fact. The impending doom consumes your every thought. He may seem needy to you, but he just needs you to listen to him and help him through it. My wife still gets very frustrated with me when I have episodes. I am currently going through one right now after about a year of not having any.

Does he recognize that he is a hypochondriac?

Closed Thread